PDA

View Full Version : This run defense still sucks

BillsFever21
09-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, it still sucks. 183 yards is uncalled for. Their running game controlled the game the 2nd half.

It didn't help that Robert Royal is an idiot. He pushes the guy from behind when Price was running out of bounds anyway. That was the final play that lost this game for us.

But for everyone who thought this was an improved run defense you are wrong. It still sucks and it will be another very long season of our swiss cheese run defense.

patmoran2006
09-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Not a popular thread this one here.

I'd blast your opinion like most on here surely will (if they even bother to say anything).. But there's only problem.. I have two words for you.

"you're right"

OpIv37
09-15-2006, 05:25 PM
the pass D looked solid despite the youth but I completely agree on the run D. The DL still needs a lot of work.

That being said, a lot of our rookies look damn good and I wouldn't be surprised if we have the makings of another great D. But we're not there yet.

patmoran2006
09-15-2006, 05:27 PM
the pass D looked solid despite the youth but I completely agree on the run D. The DL still needs a lot of work.

That being said, a lot of our rookies look damn good and I wouldn't be surprised if we have the makings of another great D. But we're not there yet.

Absolutely.. This team is a year of seasoning and an impact DE away from being one of the best units in the NFL

Mr B
09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
The Bills had poor tackling the the whole game. If they can get that corrected they may have only allowed 100 yards rushing last week.

SABURZFAN
09-15-2006, 06:18 PM
hell...my run defense in the BZFL is better than these guys.

DEfinsE!
09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
And Ronnie will exploit it! But our secondary sucks so if JP shows up and actually makes plays that could give you a chance. But if Pep and the receivers are on, you're toast!

The_Philster
09-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I agree that it still sucks now...but it was only one game. There's still a chance it could turn out to be pretty good...once players are more used to this system, once rookies are more used to the speed of the NFL game. Call me an optimist or whatever...but hopefully things will improve...1 game doesn't make an NFL season

!Papacrunk!
09-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm curious to know if Lee Suggs will be able to contribute--I'm sure he hasn't had a whole long time to digest the playbook though. From what I've gleaned from some Browns fans is that they really liked him, but it seemed like a stiff breaze would cause him to get injured.

Typ0
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I agree this is our achilles heel and we aren't going to be able to win with what he have on the defensive front. We need to blitz a lot more to try and cover up for this ineptitude and will get stuck by that sword I'm sure.

SABURZFAN
09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
And Ronnie will exploit it! But our secondary sucks so if JP shows up and actually makes plays that could give you a chance. But if Pep and the receivers are on, you're toast!

if culpepper's on,that means he'll throw 3 or 4 INT's. :up:

BillsFever21
09-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Not a popular thread this one here.

I'd blast your opinion like most on here surely will (if they even bother to say anything).. But there's only problem.. I have two words for you.

"you're right"

I'm not out to state popular opinions to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside and get positive rep out of it. I'm out to state factual opinions whether anybody wants to hear, admit or believe it.

patmoran2006
09-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I have the bills going 4-12 this year, so I'm not into popular opinions either.

I think our run defense sucks NOW.. but with WIlilams in this lineup and McCargo, if Spikes is healthy at season's end I think you'll see a turnaround.

wont mean **** for this year though

Typ0
09-17-2006, 10:51 AM
we can only hope the players will be available to correct this glowing problem for next season. I still contend with Leinhard or Cutler on the team there would be more players available.

The_Philster
09-17-2006, 10:53 AM
we can only hope the players will be available to correct this glowing problem for next season. I still contend with Leinhard or Cutler on the team there would be more players available.
Yeah...a team that gives up on its players before giving them a fair shot is a great draw for players to come to :rolleyes:

Coach Sal
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
The run defense is going to have problems all year, as I've stated numerous times on the program and here. They'll have some good games and make some huge plays, but throughout the course of this season, it will get eaten up more often than not. Especially from big, tougher backs.

Here's why:

The Tampa-2 (as you know) is a defense that requires penetration from the front-4, not gap-control. And the LB's are undersized. Undersized by design, so that they can play AND cover guys from sideline-to-sideline.

When a defensive line penetrates upfield, it creates running lanes. Once the RB hits that lane and gets past him to level-2 (LB's), it's a mismatch for us in most cases. So, the defense (and especially the DL) will make some HUGE plays this year, but will also give up some HUGE plays this year.

Penetration upfield = more running lanes
more running lanes + undersized LB's + big RB's = tough to stop the run.

zone
09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, it still sucks. 183 yards is uncalled for. Their running game controlled the game the 2nd half.

It didn't help that Robert Royal is an idiot. He pushes the guy from behind when Price was running out of bounds anyway. That was the final play that lost this game for us.

But for everyone who thought this was an improved run defense you are wrong. It still sucks and it will be another very long season of our swiss cheese run defense.
Open mouth insert foot, gonna have to find something new to complian about. We all know you will though. Also, the idiot recovered the onside.