• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marino13Phins
    Put your banana between these melons and make a fruit salad
    • Oct 2003

Wes Welker

I dont want this to turn into a dolphin bash thread like it usually does.

But what do you all think of Wes Welker, for those of you that saw him on primetime last Thursday?

I think he is going to develop into a nice young talent. I mean he will be no Owens, or Harrison or anything like that, but he's a pretty solid #3. And he has great punt returning skills.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Wes Welker

Seems like a Wayne Chrebet.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

the Fish are better off developing hagan.
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

Great speed, explosive special teamer. Seems to have good hands when Daunte actually manages some accuracy.

Could turn into a great slot guy for the fins, I dont know about a 1 or 2 guy. For some reason reminds me a lot of Brandon Stokley.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Hes a beast as a 3rd receiver in fantasy leagues who honor return yards. I havent watched him enough to really comment, he was the best player on the field for Miami last week thats for sure.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

I agree with the comparison with Stokley. I don't see Welker being a # 1 WR (Miami doesn't need him to be one with Chambers) or even being a consistent #2 WR (at least not at this point), but I do think that he is a very shifty, elusive slot man with enough speed to make him dangerous. I don't know if Welker is as good a receiver as Stokley (although it looked against Pittsburgh that he may have a pretty good rapport with Culpepper and, as a result, could become that kind of threat), but he does more things for Miami. The fact that he is a solid kick returner and pretty good on punt returns makes Welker, in my opinion, a valuable player who can be a pain-in-the-butt for the opposition. Good teams need to have guys like Welker because a good team is able to make the most of his talents and Miami is fortunate to have him.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Devin
              Great speed, explosive special teamer. Seems to have good hands when Daunte actually manages some accuracy.

Could turn into a great slot guy for the fins, I dont know about a 1 or 2 guy. For some reason reminds me a lot of Brandon Stokley.
              Ditto!!

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                • May 2003

Welker has definite big game potential. Other than Chambers and maybe Brown, he might be the 3rd best talented player on the Dolphin roster at this point in his development.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Welker is honestly one of the few dolphins players I actually root for. Ever since he had that game where he returned a punt, returned a kickoff, kick an extra point, kicked a field goal, booted the kickoff and then made the tackle, I gained a lot of respect for him. I'm sure he'll get the respect he deserves this year if he keeps returning punts and kickoffs like he did against pittsburgh last thursday. He's no McGee though....haha

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                    • Aug 2003

a Don Beebe wannabe

Comment

• Marvelous
                      • Feb 2004

My oppinion on Wes Welker is he's got incredible upside. He could turn out to be a Keenan McCardel type. Thats who he reminds me of.. It's pathetic how fans can only compaire "white" players to other "white" players..anyways...moving on....

Wes has great speed and solid soft hands.. Expeience & crisp route running are his flaws..And size. But his toughness balances that out imo. Esp over the middle on his signature route from lastyear......You know. Deep post from the slot position. That play was money up until the hurricane early scheduling Chiefs game. Friday night.. Gus Ferroute mis timed him twic and that route kinda vanished.... But the kid just needs playing time and he could learn from Booker who is classic clutch.....IMO Phins should stick with Wes as the slot instead of trying to get the popular upside from Charles rogers.. But cheesy Miami fans(avg locals) need name recognition.... Wes = slot for now...Then if/when he progresses he gets the #2 spot and The WR corps will be stout.......Hope my oppinion helps... My oppinions on him and Phins are a tad stronger because i'm a south Fl. local and have been.... Palm Beach county...

SQUISH!!!
                      GO BILLS!!! NE
                      Magical Trevor

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                        • Mar 2004

He also has no fear to make the catch over the middle even if it means getting crushed. I'm not sure how long a WR's career lasts by consistantly doing that, but he keeps on making the tough catches in traffic. He even has other Dolphins players as fans--Kevin Carter said that Wes is his favorite player, that he exemplifies what a team player should be. I can't recall which game it was last year, but 5'9" 189 pounds Welker was knocking heads with 6'4" 320 pounds lineman Damion McIntosh over a difference in philosophies. Dude doesn't have any fear, lol.

Comment

• Irish Phin Fan
                          • Jul 2006

I think the NFL needs more players like Welker. Guys who may not have the greatest physical skills but make up for it with a huge heart and willingness to do whatever it takes to help his team.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

I like him a lot and wish he were a Patriot. He is very versatile and a solid ST player. I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into a pretty good WR. He is a Troy Brown kind of guy.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

He's a fruiter version of Steve Tasker- maybe not in ST return coverage- but someone you can respect a little considering his size

Comment

Working...
                              X