PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker

Marino13Phins
09-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I dont want this to turn into a dolphin bash thread like it usually does.

But what do you all think of Wes Welker, for those of you that saw him on primetime last Thursday?

I think he is going to develop into a nice young talent. I mean he will be no Owens, or Harrison or anything like that, but he's a pretty solid #3. And he has great punt returning skills.

Goobylal
09-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Seems like a Wayne Chrebet.

SABURZFAN
09-15-2006, 11:38 PM
the Fish are better off developing hagan.

Devin
09-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Great speed, explosive special teamer. Seems to have good hands when Daunte actually manages some accuracy.

Could turn into a great slot guy for the fins, I dont know about a 1 or 2 guy. For some reason reminds me a lot of Brandon Stokley.

FlyingDutchman
09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Hes a beast as a 3rd receiver in fantasy leagues who honor return yards. I havent watched him enough to really comment, he was the best player on the field for Miami last week thats for sure.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-16-2006, 12:19 AM
I agree with the comparison with Stokley. I don't see Welker being a # 1 WR (Miami doesn't need him to be one with Chambers) or even being a consistent #2 WR (at least not at this point), but I do think that he is a very shifty, elusive slot man with enough speed to make him dangerous. I don't know if Welker is as good a receiver as Stokley (although it looked against Pittsburgh that he may have a pretty good rapport with Culpepper and, as a result, could become that kind of threat), but he does more things for Miami. The fact that he is a solid kick returner and pretty good on punt returns makes Welker, in my opinion, a valuable player who can be a pain-in-the-butt for the opposition. Good teams need to have guys like Welker because a good team is able to make the most of his talents and Miami is fortunate to have him.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Great speed, explosive special teamer. Seems to have good hands when Daunte actually manages some accuracy.

Could turn into a great slot guy for the fins, I dont know about a 1 or 2 guy. For some reason reminds me a lot of Brandon Stokley.

Ditto!!

Drive 4 Five
09-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Welker has definite big game potential. Other than Chambers and maybe Brown, he might be the 3rd best talented player on the Dolphin roster at this point in his development.

Joe Fo Sho
09-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Welker is honestly one of the few dolphins players I actually root for. Ever since he had that game where he returned a punt, returned a kickoff, kick an extra point, kicked a field goal, booted the kickoff and then made the tackle, I gained a lot of respect for him. I'm sure he'll get the respect he deserves this year if he keeps returning punts and kickoffs like he did against pittsburgh last thursday. He's no McGee though....haha

L.A. Playa
09-16-2006, 12:46 AM
a Don Beebe wannabe

Marvelous
09-16-2006, 02:32 AM
My oppinion on Wes Welker is he's got incredible upside. He could turn out to be a Keenan McCardel type. Thats who he reminds me of.. It's pathetic how fans can only compaire "white" players to other "white" players..anyways...moving on....

Wes has great speed and solid soft hands.. Expeience & crisp route running are his flaws..And size. But his toughness balances that out imo. Esp over the middle on his signature route from lastyear......You know. Deep post from the slot position. That play was money up until the hurricane early scheduling Chiefs game. Friday night.. Gus Ferroute mis timed him twic and that route kinda vanished.... But the kid just needs playing time and he could learn from Booker who is classic clutch.....IMO Phins should stick with Wes as the slot instead of trying to get the popular upside from Charles rogers.. But cheesy Miami fans(avg locals) need name recognition.... Wes = slot for now...Then if/when he progresses he gets the #2 spot and The WR corps will be stout.......Hope my oppinion helps... My oppinions on him and Phins are a tad stronger because i'm a south Fl. local and have been.... Palm Beach county...

SQUISH!!!

!Papacrunk!
09-16-2006, 05:51 AM
He also has no fear to make the catch over the middle even if it means getting crushed. I'm not sure how long a WR's career lasts by consistantly doing that, but he keeps on making the tough catches in traffic. He even has other Dolphins players as fans--Kevin Carter said that Wes is his favorite player, that he exemplifies what a team player should be. I can't recall which game it was last year, but 5'9" 189 pounds Welker was knocking heads with 6'4" 320 pounds lineman Damion McIntosh over a difference in philosophies. Dude doesn't have any fear, lol.

Irish Phin Fan
09-16-2006, 06:46 AM
I think the NFL needs more players like Welker. Guys who may not have the greatest physical skills but make up for it with a huge heart and willingness to do whatever it takes to help his team.

Ickybaluky
09-16-2006, 07:30 AM
I like him a lot and wish he were a Patriot. He is very versatile and a solid ST player. I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into a pretty good WR. He is a Troy Brown kind of guy.

Dozerdog
09-16-2006, 07:33 AM
He's a fruiter version of Steve Tasker- maybe not in ST return coverage- but someone you can respect a little considering his size

BILLSROCK1212
09-16-2006, 08:12 AM

But what do you all think of Wes Welker, for those of you that saw him on primetime last Thursday?

I think he is going to develop into a nice young talent. I mean he will be no Owens, or Harrison or anything like that, but he's a pretty solid #3. And he has great punt returning skills.
thursday night was not what made me like him ever since i first watch him play i thought he was something special

HHURRICANE
09-16-2006, 08:20 AM

I like him, but he will blow on Sunday.

Marino13Phins
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
I agree with most of you guys. I think he is a solid #3. And that's wehre we should keep him. He would probably get shut down usually as a #2, he is a great change of pace WR that steps in the slot. And I agree with whoever said they liked him since that game he kicked the field goal, and did kickoff, and returned kicks.

I think he is one of those guys you can't help but to root for. You can see he doesn't take being in the NFL for granted like some guys.

Marino13Phins
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
I like him, but he will blow on Sunday.

:rofl:

patmoran2006
09-16-2006, 08:37 AM
He scares the living **** out of me ...

BillsNick
09-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Reminds me a little bit of Tasker

patmoran2006
09-16-2006, 09:46 AM
He's a much better returner and receiver than Tasker.

But he's not in Tasker's universe when it comes to all around special teams.

bluehaze
09-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Wes is great he plays with more heart than anyone I've seen in a long time. He's been one of my favorite players since I started watching him last year. Funniest thing was everyone at FinHeaven screaming for Saban to cut Welker and put Marcus Vick on the team :lmao:

Now their all :bandwagon becoming Welker fans.

He seems like a modern day Jim Jensen to me! He won't be a #1 anything besides kick/punt returner, but hes great at every position he plays.

!Papacrunk!
09-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Wes is great he plays with more heart than anyone I've seen in a long time. He's been one of my favorite players since I started watching him last year. Funniest thing was everyone at FinHeaven screaming for Saban to cut Welker and put Marcus Vick on the team :lmao:

Now their all :bandwagon becoming Welker fans.

He seems like a modern day Jim Jensen to me! He won't be a #1 anything besides kick/punt returner, but hes great at every position he plays.
Fans at Finhell changing their mind at the drop of a hat? BLASPHEMY! I hope those fans stay on that Dolphins site and not infect other Dolphins MBs.

Billzz
09-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Miami has a few players that fill the "big heart" area. Zach Thomas is another that comes to mind. The funny thing is that the usual description of a "big heart" player fits some white guy.

jmb1099
09-16-2006, 08:00 PM
He's got great speed and play making ability. You get the sense that he has the ability to turn any play into something big. I like him ad hate that the fins have him.

YardRat
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd take Welker over Parrish or Reed in a heartbeat.

Marino13Phins
09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Miami has a few players that fill the "big heart" area. Zach Thomas is another that comes to mind. The funny thing is that the usual description of a "big heart" player fits some white guy.

heh yea good point. :rofl:

RedEyE
09-16-2006, 08:35 PM
heh yea good point. :rofl:

That girl in your avatar must have a big heart too.

dolphan117
09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Getting personal: Saban is used to tap-dancing around queries from the media, but a question during his radio show Thursday night had him doing a Fred Astaire impersonation.
A young woman in the audience at Gatsby's in Davie asked Saban whether his "little stud," receiver and kick returner Wes Welker, was married.
"I can't give out personal information about our players on the radio," Saban said. "I will say this: You really made a tremendous observation about a guy's competitive character."
But the woman didn't let Saban off the hook.
"He's great on the field ... I'm just wondering if he's in the field," she replied.
"Can I stay with the on-the-field part?" Saban said.
"Come on, Nick, yes or no?" the woman continued.
A day later, Saban was still laughing.
"That one got me, boy," Saban said. "I didn't know what to say. I was shaking my leg under the table. ... She was relentless."
Welker, who is single but has a girlfriend, was impressed and flattered by the fan's tenacity. "That took a lot of guts," he said.
Halfway down the page (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/09/16/a11b_finsnotes_0916.html). He aparently isnt hurting for fans.

Hounds
09-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Wes was my favorite player at Texas Tech I wish the Bills would have picked him up when the Chargers were stupid enough to cut him

justasportsfan
09-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Wes is one hell of a player. We have our own though. His name is Parrish.

Cntrygal
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
He's VERY impressive! I didn't want him to get a hand on the ball at all!!!

Mad Bomber
09-17-2006, 05:14 PM

From the two games I've seen him in, he seems like the real deal. This kid comes to play, and gives 100% on every play, be it offense or special teams.

I like him.

RockStar36
09-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Welker is very dangerous when he gets the ball. The Bills handled him well on returns.