PDA

View Full Version : What would you take from college football?

Tatonka
09-16-2006, 01:50 PM
This is just something that occurred to me while sitting here watching Virginia Tech roll over Duke..

why do nfl teams not have bands.. i mean, all those bass drums beating throughout the game.. i love that sound.. it makes me think of football.

also, stadium sizes.. why are there so many college football stadiums that seat way more than nfl stadiums? i mean the nfl is the most popular sport in the world, why not make the stadiums huge? 150k people in one spot.. talk about a homefield advantage..

sorry.. just some random thoughts.

RedEyE
09-16-2006, 01:55 PM
I agree 100%.

I believe that the Redskins do have their own band. I can't think of any other team that do though.

RedEyE
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, here it is:

http://www.redskins.com/team/history-band.jsp

Tatonka
09-16-2006, 02:07 PM
well that is why they are one of if not thee most valuable teams in the league.. they know how to run their business..

LifetimeBillsFan
09-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I would take college football's replay system in a heartbeat!

I also like their overtime sytem, although I would make the pros start from midfield or their own 40 instead of where the college teams do. I think both teams should have a crack at getting the ball and that the flip of a coin should not give one group of professionals such big advantage over the others.

I also really like the clock stopping on first downs, but that might make it too easy for the pros to score in the last two minutes. But, it would make things exciting.

ParanoidAndroid
09-16-2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with the band idea. One option would be to invite some of the bigger high school bands to come. You could even get a couple of small schools to rehearse the same stuff and bring it together Sunday morning. How cool would that be? All we wold need is a sponsor to buy their tickets because something tells me Ralph wouldn't go for giving them away; I don't believe there is room for them on the field.
Shall we start writing the letters to One Bills Drive?
I wonder what the NFL rules are for bands playing during things like change of posession, time outs, etc. They already have stadium music.

Night Train
09-16-2006, 02:16 PM
The refs.

They let the teams play and don't crave attention.

!Papacrunk!
09-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I would take college football's replay system in a heartbeat!

I also like their overtime sytem, although I would make the pros start from midfield or their own 40 instead of where the college teams do. I think both teams should have a crack at getting the ball and that the flip of a coin should not give one group of professionals such big advantage over the others.

I also really like the clock stopping on first downs, but that might make it too easy for the pros to score in the last two minutes. But, it would make things exciting.

WHAT HE SAID ^:clap:

BILLSROCK1212
09-16-2006, 02:36 PM
The Ravens have college like cheerleaders you know wit those 1 or 2 guys plus they have a badn section must be a D.C. area thing

LifetimeBillsFan
09-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree with the band idea. One option would be to invite some of the bigger high school bands to come. You could even get a couple of small schools to rehearse the same stuff and bring it together Sunday morning. How cool would that be? All we wold need is a sponsor to buy their tickets because something tells me Ralph wouldn't go for giving them away; I don't believe there is room for them on the field.
Shall we start writing the letters to One Bills Drive?
I wonder what the NFL rules are for bands playing during things like change of posession, time outs, etc. They already have stadium music.

They used to do that back in the old AFL days. But, I think they had some problems with getting the bands to the games (I remember there were some real problems with it on both sides--the teams and the high schools) so they stopped doing it. I can also imagine that these days they might have problems with getting insurance for the kids in the bands. Another problem could be that a lot of school districts have cut way back on music education classes, etc. to save money and it might be hard to find enough schools that have decent sized bands to compete so that they would end up with a band that could actually play each week.

One thing I remember from those days was that, while some of the bands were not bad, there were some that were perfectly awful. Still, it would be a cool thing for the kids if you could get past all of the obstacles.

Dozerdog
09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Bills do import a lot of bands for half times and stuff

X-Era
09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
This is just something that occurred to me while sitting here watching Virginia Tech roll over Duke..

why do nfl teams not have bands.. i mean, all those bass drums beating throughout the game.. i love that sound.. it makes me think of football.

also, stadium sizes.. why are there so many college football stadiums that seat way more than nfl stadiums? i mean the nfl is the most popular sport in the world, why not make the stadiums huge? 150k people in one spot.. talk about a homefield advantage..

sorry.. just some random thoughts. The younger, cleaner, less "road ridden" cheerleaders. Sorry Philster.

Dozerdog
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I like how they stop the clock after 1st downs until the ball is set- makes for fantastic finishes.

Dump the dumb OT rules- play until someone wins it legitimately.

I'd also institute the bowl system, so all the teams in the league can play in the playoffs ...:rolleyes:

I hate the college bowl system.

The_Philster
09-16-2006, 03:41 PM
The younger, cleaner, less "road ridden" cheerleaders. Sorry Philster.
actually, most of the Jills are in college..so younger? I don't see it...cleaner and less road-ridden? nope...don't see that either

X-Era
09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
actually, most of the Jills are in college..so younger? I don't see it...cleaner and less road-ridden? nope...don't see that either Its my deal man. Something about college girls exploring their abilities. Most NFL cheerleaders seem cheap and overpainted. I like em more pure.

Coach Sal
09-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Three things immediately come to mind:

1. I'd allow NFL teams to "differ" to the second half if they win the coin toss. In college, if you win the toss, you can differ to having the choice to open up the second half. So, if you want your defense on the field to open the game, it's no problem. In the NFL, if you want your defense to play first, you have to choose to "kick." And since the opposition gets to choose in the second half, you'd be kicking both halves. Obviously no one would do that. So, you have to "receive" if you win the toss.

2. I'd adopt the "one foot in" for a catch rule. Can you imagine how many fantastic catches there would be every week in the NFL if we allowed those athletes to only have one foot in for it to be a legal catch?

3. I'd allow blocked extra points and/or turnovers on 2-point conversions to be able to be returned for two points the other way. College allows it. In the NFL, the ball is automatically blown dead.

The_Philster
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Its my deal man. Something about college girls exploring their abilities. Most NFL cheerleaders seem cheap and overpainted. I like em more pure.
Yeah, but the Jills ain't most NFL Cheerleaders...though I will admit some of them go a bit heavier on the makeup than needed

X-Era
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, but the Jills ain't most NFL Cheerleaders...though I will admit some of them go a bit heavier on the makeup than needed If your virtual support of the Jills allows you to physically support even one of them over top of you, dont let me stand in the way!!! Live on, live on! Life, Lib, and the pursuit of gina. Better known as gine, (Jine)

The_Philster
09-16-2006, 03:55 PM
If your virtual support of the Jills allows you to physically support even one of them over top of you, dont let me stand in the way!!! Live on, live on! Life, Lib, and the pursuit of gina. Better known as gine, (Jine)
:laughter: It's not like that, man...I just enjoy helping out a great group of people...that just happen to be hotties :D