Very pleased with the game, only one concern...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Very pleased with the game, only one concern...

Definitely pleased with the effort the Bills put out there today, especially the Defense with 4 rookies starting. I thought they could win the game, didn't know if they would, but didn't expect them to basically dominate as they did.

My only concern is the approach the coaching staff is taking with Losman. All these short, quick hitting pass plays are about all they are letting him work with. Yes, they threw in a few deep attempts throughout the game, including the pass interference play that lead to the touchdown... But, eventually they have to let him go some and stop protecting him. It won't take long for other teams to catch on, and teams with better defenses than Miami's won't let Buffalo get away with it.

I know they're trying to help Losman evolve as a quarterback and play it safe at this point, but how long do you think they can let that go on?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Very pleased with the game, only one concern...

Next week against the Jets. I expect them to air it out at the opener.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kinigirly
      • Sep 2005

i still don't know how i feel about it. i understand that they saw jp was having difficulty in the 1st quarter, so they say ok lets take some heat off him and let willis do some of the work. they wait it out until jp gets in his groove with the game and then let him take it a little more. its cool to spread it out because it is a rushing game too. but is it babying jp or accomodating the game for him? i dunno. jp is a big boy and from what i've heard he would much rather be given the challenge to work it out. there are games where we absolutely have to rely on multiple and song long passes so taking the pressure off losman is not gonna be an option.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
        • May 2005

Sorry for the double post... the site is messing up bad for me, must be all the Celebratory post game traffic!

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
          Definitely pleased with the effort the Bills put out there today, especially the Defense with 4 rookies starting. I thought they could win the game, didn't know if they would, but didn't expect them to basically dominate as they did.

My only concern is the approach the coaching staff is taking with Losman. All these short, quick hitting pass plays are about all they are letting him work with. Yes, they threw in a few deep attempts throughout the game, including the pass interference play that lead to the touchdown... But, eventually they have to let him go some and stop protecting him. It won't take long for other teams to catch on, and teams with better defenses than Miami's won't let Buffalo get away with it.

I know they're trying to help Losman evolve as a quarterback and play it safe at this point, but how long do you think they can let that go on?
          If Losman throwing short passes all year puts us in the playoffs, Ill take it. Thats said, I dont think it will. Good teams have complete game and we have yet to show we can air it out for wins.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I totally disagree. They are keeping him from making game losing mistakes. Contrary to others, I thought our OL was terrible. JP made some tough passes with people in his face!! Jauron has done a masterful job of coaching this kid. MASTERFUL.
            Last edited by HHURRICANE; 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Voltron
              • Jul 2002

The worst part of his game last year was his short game. Give him the chance to succeed there and then move on to the mid to long balls. I like the tactic by the coaches so far. I am with HHURRICANE, the OL is still not impressing me.
              Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
              - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
              - Mark Twain

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

They're feeding JP a little at a time. If they were to have him do everything so soon, it would likely backfire ..on the Bills and on JP.
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

BMN, I gotta disagree. They went to the big play right off the bat. We can't protect that long and Losman was 1-6 with guys in his face and taking hits.

When we went short to Med and ran the ball, it opened up the long ball. The pass interference was because Evans was gonna get 6, no question.

This thing will develop soon. I see us doing like phil said and opening up more against the jets at home. So far we put up two good games on the road. The next two are at home and I still see 5-2 as possible

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

He wasn't checking down AT ALL in the first half; it really looked like he was trying to force it deep to Evans. The second half looked completely different. He hit a few quick passes which were very effective against the blitz.
                    Perhaps his best play of the game was a quick pass he made when they all-out blitzed and Evans didn't make the adjustment. Had he been looking for the ball, there wasn't anyone near him except the DB who was not in a good position to make a tackle...it was a TD. You might have seen Holcomb give JP a pat on the head for that one.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

this is the Rams offence.

It's a LOT of short slants, screens and outs, with a few deeper passes when the safeties cheat.

Though im enjoying the playcalling by the OC. He seems to know how to dedicate himself to the run.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Kerr
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

It was almost impossible for jp to just sit back in the pocket without having someone in his face all the time. The majority of his pass attempts always had someone right in his face, so they had to try to run the ball more, yet without being too predictable and to allow him to make some plays throwing the ball, they attempted more quick throws, which worked out somewhat. The gameplan was for him to air it out, but the offensive line was not allowing him to get comfortable back there, so adjustments had to be done so he could try to have some success.

Comment

• casdhf
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                          It won't take long for other teams to catch on, and teams with better defenses than Miami's won't let Buffalo get away with it.
                          How many defenses will we play better than that?
                          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                            • Jan 2004

Im as happy as anyone about the Win.

But please don't give me crap on Losman looking good.

I question his courage to be able to play the game......Once he releases the ball he ducks to avoid getting hit....and occasionally it will affect his throw.

His awarness is no good either, and 83 yards?

Are you serious, in his 3rd year in the NFL, and he still plays like a rookie.

I don't see much of anything in JP besides athletic skill, and we all know how much athletic skill Rob Johnson had, look how that played out, hopefully im wrong and he has a solid game this week.
                            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
                              How many defenses will we play better than that?
                              Baltimore, Chicago, Jacksonville, and probably even Minnesota and San Diego after what I've seen from them so far off the top of my head...

I'm just saying I don't think this pattern will work all season. I understand that it was necessary today... I've been one of the ones saying all off season that the O Line still isn't good enough to properly protect Losman. I'm really hoping the line comes around and allows Losman the time to try and work down the field. I didn't see hardly any crossing routes and balls thrown over the middle at all today. The only thing that got completed were those quick direct throws to our wideouts and the real quick slant plays.

I'm afraid we'll pay dearly against teams like Baltimore with much better secondarys and quick LBs that will be all over those plays in a heartbeat.

As long as progess is made, I'll be happy though, I'll admit I didn't have very high expectations to begin with and I'm still not going to allow myself to get carried away, but the team does look much better than I thought they would at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X