X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Defense Exquisite, Offense Adequate...

Kneel and Bob lead the way to a nice Buffalo victory.

This season the defense has really out played their opponents and seem to be growing at a rapid rate. On the other hand the offense is still struggling to find that on switch. Yes the Bills won the game today, but I give that game ball to the defense creating 7 sacks, pulling off a red zone INT and forcing at least 1 of 2 Culpepper fumbles.

The ST also contributed well. Moorman was dynamite as always, Lindell has yet to miss this season and Coy Wire (Kneel) helped botch a punt for the Dolphins that resulted in a FG for Buffalo.

Still, with all the positive, you have to find room for improvement. The offense came out of the gates running. McGahee had nearly 50 yards before the end of the 1st qrtr. While the offense came up big when they needed to, their adequate ways are not impressive enough to keep them winning down the road.

Quite simply, if the Dolphins O had been crushed this bad in Pittsburgh last week, the Steelers could have mounted an easy 30 point spanking. Losman was happy with 1 reception before half as the line failed him on several attmepts and his receivers missed their cues as well as a catch or two.

The 2nd half was better for the Bills passing game, but the running game paid dearly.

The Bills did not give up the mistake which might have turned this game around such as they did in Foxboro last week. Instead they allowed the defense to work its continuing magic again and again.

The Bills O needs to find that "happy place" if they are at all to try and make a playoff run this season (not that many expect that to happen this season). Until then, the defense can only keep things stagnent for opposing offenses for so long.

Even so, the Bills players continue to progress. Losman's numbers don't say it all. Some of the media will focus on his 1-5 1st half, while they'll tend to forget to mention his 10-13 snd half. The 3rd qrtr was well played and he never forced the football. Some are not at all pleased with the use of timeouts (and better teams have used them more wisely), but Losman's timing with his game stoppers were well played and this shows his continued understanding of the game. It seems he has patience a plenty. A few of his defensive reads were key. Whether it was Fairchild or an other, someone reminded Losman of his checkdowns before the 2nd half began. He seemd to jump back on that rythem fast and furious without giving it a 2nd thought.

The line needs some time to get it all together. They continue to create holes early for the running game, but they are just dismal in passing situations. This should happen with time.

The receivers need to keep sharp as well. A couple of big drops in the 1st half really didn't support the play of the Bills defense at all. And Evans missed a blatent opportunity to break his route on an all out blitz. Very unacceptable. Thankfully, Reed (Bob) decided to show up this year.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM.
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Re: Defense Exquisite, Offense Adequate...

Good analysis!

I thought that the whole team showed some improvement over last week, with the exception of Losman in the first half (which he did bounce back from in the second half).

I'm sure that the coaches will find even more room for improvement than even we will after this week. But, based on what I have seen just about every week from the beginning of the preseason, I think that this is a team that will continue to improve as the season goes on--they've improved every week so far.

I must say that I am very encouraged by that and think that this team could end up being even more interesting to watch as the season progresses than I thought it would be (and I did think it would be interesting to watch). I'm really looking forward to seeing them next week against the Jets.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
      Good analysis!

I thought that the whole team showed some improvement over last week, with the exception of Losman in the first half (which he did bounce back from in the second half).

I'm sure that the coaches will find even more room for improvement than even we will after this week. But, based on what I have seen just about every week from the beginning of the preseason, I think that this is a team that will continue to improve as the season goes on--they've improved every week so far.

I must say that I am very encouraged by that and think that this team could end up being even more interesting to watch as the season progresses than I thought it would be (and I did think it would be interesting to watch). I'm really looking forward to seeing them next week against the Jets.
      Well stated.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I was encouraged by the 13 points scored in the third quarter, not to mention time of possession for the same time frame.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

I'd say the offense was less than adequate. They started several drives in prime field position and couldn't put the ball in the end zone.

I thought we'd see more out of them this week, but the defense has really been the biggest surprise so far this season. They shut down Tom Superman Brady last week and kept the team in the game, and today they made the Phins look worse than Pittsburgh did.

Comment

Working...
          X