PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's baby-faced D outplays Miami's 'contender'

G. Host
09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9666800
As Buffalo Bills rookie safety Donte Whitner sat at his locker Sunday following his team's impressive 16-6 road victory over the Miami Dolphins, 81-year-old team owner Ralph Wilson sidled over with a message.

"They said we took you too high," Wilson said. "I don't think so."

Whitner's face lit up, as you would expect when the man who signs the checks pays you a compliment. "Thank you, sir," Whitner said. "I'm just trying to prove them wrong."

Nice words from Ralph to give a young guy courage!

On a hot day at Dolphins Stadium, it was a late 23-yard touchdown pass from Culpepper to Chris Chambers with 1:54 left that prevented the Bills from getting the shutout. It was the lowest point total for the Dolphins in a home opener, which led to plenty of boos for the offense and an empty stadium in the final quarter.

Well the babies set a record - I wonder if the new kids will take that as a nickname like "bad" has become "good".

"We wanted that shutout," Whitner said. "And it was my fault. I underplayed the seven route and he cut up underneath it. I'm going to learn from it, and maybe next time I'll get the interception."

I am glad someone wanted that shutout - I certainly did!