PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Fish Fry: Bills stand Toegther

G. Host
09-18-2006, 02:03 AM
I have spent most of the night posting articles and now have got my thoughts together after listening to radio reports. I can not review the game (although I have looked at video and TV hghilights) since I saw it at my Bills bar.

This was a TEAM win - the players make a great deal of effort to tell how their teammates were the reason why they could make the plays.

This is NOT the Bickering Bills.

The offense, defense and special teams strategies were designed to work with each other shoriing up weaknesses in other areas. The players on sidelines supported their teammates and were often seen on side pointing things out to teammates even if they were not on field. The players would not let the press blame one player on a questionable call or bad play after the game. This is a signature of Marv's philosophy - teamwork and synergy.

Everything I have heard has been positive - Willis and Thomas complementing the line, FB and TEs, WRs complimenting each other, defense saying offense made the plays needed to eat up the clock (both games ended before 4 PM while last year games typically ran late), defense calling almost all sacks "team sacks", return men complimenting blocking, veterans complimenting rookies and rookies thanking veterans and of all saying how special teams especially kickers. All of the players were complimenting the game plan and the staff especially the trainers who got them ready to play.

The press will try to divide the players, inflate their egos and turn them into collection of mes but hopefully the players can resist it especially those whose contracts make them free agents next year. This is the start of something good.

kgun12
09-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Good post I agree totally! :respect:

ublinkwescore
09-18-2006, 02:10 AM
I agree.

I know it's only been two weeks, but you really, now more than ever, do get that feeling that we're well on our way.

One more draft to shore up the Oline, and Losman will be finding Evans down sidelines every sunday. I'd really like to see them trying to work on ways to get Roscoe out in space down field - I can see him making some people look stupid if they can pull it off.

ublinkwescore
09-18-2006, 02:13 AM
I'll admit, I've had those feelings here and there with the past two regimes (like the 31-0 stomping of NE a few years ago), and the 9-7 Mularkey year... But now, it seems we've got all the talent we need on one side of the ball, and that that other side of the ball should be addressed this next offseason - and this regime understands that we won't get very far at all without addressing the Oline.

G. Host
09-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Lines get better by working together; I think it is a good sign that they were healthy through camp. Marv picked up a couple of veterans he thought had potential and a couple rookes who had promise. Next year they can draft or trade for that line stud and let Villarial be a backup if the can shore up other key players leaving (Clements, Fletcher, Lindell?).

kgun12
09-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Lines get better by working together; I think it is a good sign that they were healthy through camp. Marv picked up a couple of veterans he thought had potential and a couple rookes who had promise. Next year they can draft or trade for that line stud and let Villarial be a backup if the can shore up other key players leaving (Clements, Fletcher, Lindell?).

I wouldn't mind a 4 year veteran free agent. you never know what you get in the draft with linemen!

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I'll admit, I've had those feelings here and there with the past two regimes (like the 31-0 stomping of NE a few years ago), and the 9-7 Mularkey year... But now, it seems we've got all the talent we need on one side of the ball, and that that other side of the ball should be addressed this next offseason - and this regime understands that we won't get very far at all without addressing the Oline.

I agree with you. I felt good after both the instances you mentioned, but somehow, this year I feel good, but in a different way. When's the last time a Bills' Defense had 4 starting rookies, was missing their franchise LB, and still nearly pitched a shut-out, IN MIAMI. If the Offense can gradually get better and keep the Defense rested, it's going to be an interesting season, that's for sure.

HHURRICANE
09-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Two points:

1) Holcomb actually gave Losman a high five on the sideline after his TD pass.

2) All the "playing together" in the world won't change the fact that Villareal sucks. He's going to get JP or McGahee hurt.

Dont drink the water
09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Two points:

1) Holcomb actually gave Losman a high five on the sideline after his TD pass.

2) All the "playing together" in the world won't change the fact that Villareal sucks. He's going to get JP or McGahee hurt.

Well maybe it will help JP fine tune his scrambling ability - it worked for a previous #7.