PDA

View Full Version : more reason to get directv

djjimkelly
09-18-2006, 08:21 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060918/3008608.asp?tbd3008608.asp

more reason for bills fans to switch to directv!!!!

The_Philster
09-18-2006, 07:24 PM

more reason for bills fans to switch to directv!!!!
yep....kinda hard for a semi to knock a satellite out of the sky :up:

G. Host
09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Go a bar ans spend your money on something else is my motto. I would not give up internet cable no matter if NFL was only on Direct TV.

OpIv37
09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Go a bar ans spend your money on something else is my motto. I would not give up internet cable no matter if NFL was only on Direct TV.

DSL. That's what we have.

Also, you can get Cox internet without Cox TV- it just costs a little more. But DirecTV is cheaper for TV service so you still end up ahead.

The_Philster
09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
personally, I like spending less for more :idunno:

BAM
09-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm guessing the chances of a semi knocking out your cable are wayyyy less than bad weather affecting satellite service. To each his own though.

X-Era
09-18-2006, 08:26 PM

more reason for bills fans to switch to directv!!!! Yeah, Im pretty sure our satelittes wont get hit by semi's

The_Philster
09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing the chances of a semi knocking out your cable are wayyyy less than bad weather affecting satellite service. To each his own though.
it'd have to be pretty severe...it's happened a few times so far...never more than a few minutes

BAM
09-18-2006, 08:42 PM
True there are definitely drawbacks to both. As long as you're happy it's all good.

SquishDaFish
09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
My service on Direct Tv has only been knocked out 2-3 times in 12 years due to Severe weather and it was for like 5 mins max. I also have verizon DSL which is just fine for internet.

BlackMetalNinja
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
That's funny because practically every time I'm at my parents and a storm comes thorugh the satellite gets very sporatic and starts cutting out left and right, it's quite annoying. My cable has not gone out once since I've had it...

SquishDaFish
09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Its not aimed right then. I would call and have them come reaim it or try reaiming it yourself.

Michael82
09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
That's funny because practically every time I'm at my parents and a storm comes thorugh the satellite gets very sporatic and starts cutting out left and right, it's quite annoying. My cable has not gone out once since I've had it...
:bf1:

billsburgh
09-19-2006, 12:17 AM
:curse:ing trees. I was going to get directv and sunday ticket but there's too many :curse:ing trees in the way.

SquishDaFish
09-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Now thats the only thing that sucks is if you have a ton of trees blocking it.

BlackMetalNinja
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Its not aimed right then. I would call and have them come reaim it or try reaiming it yourself.

It's aimed in the exact same direction as everybody else's dish in town... and there are no trees blocking the path. It is directly from the storms, because that's the only time it happens, but it happens almost EVERY time!

The DirecTV vs. Cable fight is an interesting one to me, I've considered both several times... The thing is, everybody claims DirecTV is so much cheaper, but by the time I got everything I wanted in terms of programming and equipment, it wouldn't be any cheaper at all. HD box is free with Time Warner, DVR is like $7 a month. Everywhere i've looked you have to get one or the other with DirecTV, I've yet to find anybody with an HD DVR with them... and the programming equivalent isn't that much cheaper to begin with to balance them out.

mysticsoto
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
It's aimed in the exact same direction as everybody else's dish in town... and there are no trees blocking the path. It is directly from the storms, because that's the only time it happens, but it happens almost EVERY time!

The DirecTV vs. Cable fight is an interesting one to me, I've considered both several times... The thing is, everybody claims DirecTV is so much cheaper, but by the time I got everything I wanted in terms of programming and equipment, it wouldn't be any cheaper at all. HD box is free with Time Warner, DVR is like $7 a month. Everywhere i've looked you have to get one or the other with DirecTV, I've yet to find anybody with an HD DVR with them... and the programming equivalent isn't that much cheaper to begin with to balance them out.

Perhaps, but the one thing I've never liked about Time Warner is that every year they go up in price. When I had it, I remember within 2-3 years I was paying much more than what I started. I got sick of it and switched to Dish Network and was happy for a long time...until the trees in my neighbor's yards grew enough to block it. Then I had to switch to DirecTV who's satellites are higher up. I just happen to catch a promotion that got me the NFL Sunday ticket for free for this season...

But if none of that is enough in the battle against cable...I just have one thing to say...NFLN. I love to be able to watch interviews/highlights, etc anytime I want to...

Now if only they would acknowledge Buffalo a little more, things would be great!

BlackMetalNinja
09-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Perhaps, but the one thing I've never liked about Time Warner is that every year they go up in price. When I had it, I remember within 2-3 years I was paying much more than what I started. I got sick of it and switched to Dish Network and was happy for a long time...until the trees in my neighbor's yards grew enough to block it. Then I had to switch to DirecTV who's satellites are higher up. I just happen to catch a promotion that got me the NFL Sunday ticket for free for this season...

But if none of that is enough in the battle against cable...I just have one thing to say...NFLN. I love to be able to watch interviews/highlights, etc anytime I want to...

Now if only they would acknowledge Buffalo a little more, things would be great!

If I could get Sunday Ticket for free, it wouldn't be a debate... As far as NFL Network, yes I like it, but yes, I can live without it. It's highly repetitive from what I've watched, but at times shows some really cool stuff. I'd certainly enjoy it if the cable company finally added it, but I'm used to not having it anyways...

You're right though, Time Warner does a lot of price raising and very little channel adding for the most part... They really need to start getting some more channels in HD to make me happy. I did just order NHL Center Ice for $149 though so I can watch the Sabres games down here all season.

mybills
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
:curse:ing trees. I was going to get directv and sunday ticket but there's too many :curse:ing trees in the way.
Ditto.
Plus they're not mine, so I can't cut the :curse: ers down! :mad:

Historian
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I have you all beat.

On Sunday, at 1pm...we had a power blackout here in South Cheektowaga, that lasted for almost three hours. The neighbors were all going ballistic, commiserating outside.

Lucky think I keep fresh batteries in the 2" Cascio tv, lol.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
I like to do some of each - season tix for the home games, NFL Sunday Ticket for most of the away games, but joined the Bills Backers of Virginia Beach and watched the game with them last Sunday. Had a great time, and will probably travel up there for a few more. Will also be in Baltimore for the season finale.

Meathead
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Please Give to SLOP

Semi strikes pole, cuts broadcast of Bills game

9/18/2006

An 18-wheel tractor-trailer hit a utility pole in Lackawanna on Sunday, severing a fiber optic line and blacking out of much of the Buffalo Bills-Miami Dolphins game to cable viewers in Buffalo.

"Unfortunately, it went down just after kickoff at the Bills game, which is the worst time for us and, more importantly, the worst time for our customers," said Keith Cocozza, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable. "It knocked out all video service to customers in Buffalo. Most of the city was affected."

Voltron
09-19-2006, 11:28 AM
The one time I want to watch TV is when it is Raining out. What the heck is the point of having TV when it is nice out??? I have other things to do! I am canceling my DirectTV at the end of the month and TW is getting installed.

I also had to pay for a home phone which I never use because DirectTV only updates the TIVO programing schedule via a dial up connection. They are horrible at customer service and their product leaves all the trouble shooting on the consumer side. TW may cost more but if I have problems with it I don't have to climb up on my roof and with Cable it is within your rights to not pay for the times when service is not available (at least in NY state) Not so with Sat TV :nono:

So now TW is saving me over $50 a month and I can garentee you I will have working TV much more frequently. Sat TV does not save you money if you think about the other services you get with cable PLUS local jobs are kept.

BAM
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Well done, Volt. Well done.

I don't know anything about TW, but Comcast has been flawless for me for a LONG time now, both with digital cable and internet connection.

OpIv37
09-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Well done, Volt. Well done.

I don't know anything about TW, but Comcast has been flawless for me for a LONG time now, both with digital cable and internet connection.

I never had a problem with Comcasts' signal or anything- it's their customer service. It is inexcusably horrific for such a large company.

OpIv37
09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
The one time I want to watch TV is when it is Raining out. What the heck is the point of having TV when it is nice out??? I have other things to do! I am canceling my DirectTV at the end of the month and TW is getting installed.

I also had to pay for a home phone which I never use because DirectTV only updates the TIVO programing schedule via a dial up connection. They are horrible at customer service and their product leaves all the trouble shooting on the consumer side. TW may cost more but if I have problems with it I don't have to climb up on my roof and with Cable it is within your rights to not pay for the times when service is not available (at least in NY state) Not so with Sat TV :nono:

So now TW is saving me over $50 a month and I can garentee you I will have working TV much more frequently. Sat TV does not save you money if you think about the other services you get with cable PLUS local jobs are kept.

DirecTV is significantly cheaper than Cox or Comcast cable around here, and their customer service, while far from perfect, is infinitely better than Cox or Comcast. I don't know what's wrong with yours, but the only time we ever lose the signal is during really heavy thunderstorms. And there's TiVo and DVD's for those occassions.

The phone thing is irritating but I think we need a home phone anyway. We don't use it that much, but if you call 911 on a cell phone in this part of VA, you sometimes get DC 911 instead of VA 911, then you have to wait to get transferred and the operators don't know what to do- I'd hate to have something bad happen in an emergency cuz we were too cheap to pay $20 a month for local phone service. Plus we have Verizon for phone, internet and cell phone so we get a few price breaks from them.

Voltron
09-19-2006, 04:16 PM
DirecTV is significantly cheaper than Cox or Comcast cable around here, and their customer service, while far from perfect, is infinitely better than Cox or Comcast. I don't know what's wrong with yours, but the only time we ever lose the signal is during really heavy thunderstorms. And there's TiVo and DVD's for those occassions.

The phone thing is irritating but I think we need a home phone anyway. We don't use it that much, but if you call 911 on a cell phone in this part of VA, you sometimes get DC 911 instead of VA 911, then you have to wait to get transferred and the operators don't know what to do- I'd hate to have something bad happen in an emergency cuz we were too cheap to pay $20 a month for local phone service. Plus we have Verizon for phone, internet and cell phone so we get a few price breaks from them.
I wish I knew what was wrong. From what my father told me (He was in Cable TV for over 40 years) even the Huge dishes that cable companies use can get snowy or grainy with heavy cloud cover. One thing CNY is known for is overcast skies in 3 out of 4 of the seasons of the year. The cloud cover may be so thick that I lose signal. Tivo is a great thing ... as long as you have signal. I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to watch a program and half-way thru it becomes unwatchable and then just drops.

As I told the DirectTV people. I love the service they offer. It is just that where I live is not an optimal area for viewing. I live in a city so I don't have any trees in the way, it is just a cloudy place. :idunno:

The_Philster
09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I was paying about $48/month for Time Warner..but the picture quality was awful and the channel selection poor..No NFL, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, MSG, OLN...all channels I have been viewing frequently since I got DirecTV. Now, I could've gotten all those channels (except NFL, of course) but would've had to pay well over $100/month. And it would've been a digital signal as well.
I'm paying $50/month for DirecTV (2 receivers)..digital signal, great channel selection..and even with a few outages due to severe weather (snow has yet to be a factor), I've still lost less service than I did with cable. I was without cable for 4 hours the morning of SB XXXIX :down:

mr nyjet
09-19-2006, 09:31 PM
i spent 5 years on the time-warner programing board, by appointment, when they first came to rochester. they operated on charging as much as they could and spending as little as possible. they would not offer any movie channels that they did not own ( only hbo and max) ,or got dirt cheap or were paid to carry. if it wasn't for them having to change to stop massive losses of customers to direct tv and dish network, you would not get half what you get from them at a much higher price.
i have had fewer outages over the past 7 years from them than i ever had from cable. and, the cable ones were not only more in number, but far longer in duration. satellite and dsl are much better than cable monopoly. you can change satellite companies, but there's only one cable company.

when you get cable, you rent the cable companies' dish. why should i do that, and pump a signal many miles, when i can get a crisp picture and sound just a few feet from my own dish? to each his own, but i would not trade the dish for cable. time-warner keeps trying to bombard me with deals, all designed to get my dish in their hands so they have me captive once i let them take it for a $100 credit and the promo price/lowball expires. no thanks!

p.s. in case you don't know, when you are a cable customer and you order from a shopping channel like hsn , the cable company gets a % kickback on your purchase. they get paid to carry those channels , besides offering you stuff on basic cable that they get for almost nothing or free.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 09:40 PM
i spent 5 years on the time-warner programing board, by appointment, when they first came to rochester. they operated on charging as much as they could and spending as little as possible. they would not offer any movie channels that they did not own ( only hbo and max) ,or got dirt cheap or were paid to carry. if it wasn't for them having to change to stop massive losses of customers to direct tv and dish network, you would not get half what you get from them at a much higher price.
i have had fewer outages over the past 7 years from them than i ever had from cable. and, the cable ones were not only more in number, but far longer in duration. satellite and dsl are much better than cable monopoly. you can change satellite companies, but there's only one cable company.

when you get cable, you rent the cable companies' dish. why should i do that, and pump a signal many miles, when i can get a crisp picture and sound just a few feet from my own dish? to each his own, but i would not trade the dish for cable. time-warner keeps trying to bombard me with deals, all designed to get my dish in their hands so they have me captive once i let them take it for a $100 credit and the promo price/lowball expires. no thanks!

p.s. in case you don't know, when you are a cable customer and you order from a shopping channel like hsn , the cable company gets a % kickback on your purchase. they get paid to carry those channels , besides offering you stuff on basic cable that they get for almost nothing or free.

that's not true, it's paid time but not on %'s. Your thinking of commercials and infomercials.

mr nyjet
09-19-2006, 09:59 PM
at that time, they got paid to carry the hsn-type channels plus a 5%-10% cut of what you spent when you ordered. it may have changed since then , but that what it was. and, they sure as hell did not tell the customers /subscribers about it!

they started running their own commercials after that.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
at that time, they got paid to carry the channels plus a %-10% cut of what you spent when you ordered. it may have changed since then , but that what it was. and, they sure as hell did not tell the customers /subscribers about it!

they started running their own commercials after that.

your right, that's how it went down.

Voltron
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM

Yeah .. why would I want to keep my neighbor who works in the head end in a job? What about my wifes cousin who works on the line crew?

The Point is that you keep your neighbors in jobs, The company pays taxes in the area, I know for a FACT that they do a lot of community service (When was the last time you saw a direct TV truck delivering Toys for Tots or Thanksgiving meals for shut ins?), and on top of that when it rains you get to watch TV a heck of a lot more :up:

SquishDaFish
09-20-2006, 05:09 AM
You are completly wrong Voltron. You dont need phone line(I have home phone just never hook it up to it) It gets the major updates from the dish the phone line only upgrades the software which really doesnt get updated much anyway. And rain fade should not be happening if the dish is pointed right. Also their customer service is the best Ive ever had. If you have the direct retention # you dont even have to wait on hold.

BlackMetalNinja
09-20-2006, 06:00 AM
I was paying about $48/month for Time Warner..but the picture quality was awful and the channel selection poor..No NFL, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, MSG, OLN...all channels I have been viewing frequently since I got DirecTV. Now, I could've gotten all those channels (except NFL, of course) but would've had to pay well over $100/month. And it would've been a digital signal as well.
I'm paying $50/month for DirecTV (2 receivers)..digital signal, great channel selection..and even with a few outages due to severe weather (snow has yet to be a factor), I've still lost less service than I did with cable. I was without cable for 4 hours the morning of SB XXXIX :down:

I don't know where the hell you were getting your cable from but you were getting ripped off... Time Warner carries ESPN Classic, OLN, and in WNY, MSG... And digital is like $55/month... I also pay $7/month for a DVR and $5 for some extra HD channels beyond the ones I get for free. Getting the same package of channels + DVR and HD from DirecTV does not seem cheaper in any way shape or form to me... Plus I save money because I have Road Runner Internet too, and satellite Internet is incredibly expensive...

mysticsoto
09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Yeah .. why would I want to keep my neighbor who works in the head end in a job? What about my wifes cousin who works on the line crew?

The Point is that you keep your neighbors in jobs, The company pays taxes in the area, I know for a FACT that they do a lot of community service (When was the last time you saw a direct TV truck delivering Toys for Tots or Thanksgiving meals for shut ins?), and on top of that when it rains you get to watch TV a heck of a lot more :up:

Voltron,
I know someone that works at Time Warner too (here in Rochester). He tells me that they are a bunch of backstabbing SOBs. Now maybe that comes with the territory (he's a salesman), but he hates working there and is actively looking to find something better.
Additionally, I don't know where you got your information, but a phone line is NOT necessary for your satellite receivers.
And about the grainy/losing reception thing...there is like once or twice a year when that happens. A typical rainstorm or snowstorm should not make you lose reception. If it does, it could be that your dish is not installed right or that you already have limbs of a tree blocking or atleast close to the line of sight, etc.
All in all, I've been very happy with my service. I've had all 3 (TW, Dish, DirecTV) and I'd have to say I liked Dish best - but b'cse of NFL Direct, DirecTV gets my nod. I love being able to pick which game I want to watch once Buffalo ends....or being able to switch on the commercials to other games.
Not having the NFL Network places TW in a distant third!!! I've come to love this channel, not only do I get to see replays of the games on it, you get interviews, injury reports, analysis of the games, etc. In the offseason...it helps fill a tremendous void. I loved that they had things the general public has generally never had access to - like coverage of the combine, etc. The NFLN is great and I would never go back to TW for that reason only!!!

Voltron
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
I have asked about the phone line and I was told that if you have Direct TV WITH TIVO That you will not get the updates for the DVR. I was told that by 3 different Direct TV people and one was the level 3 tech that was helping me identify the bad input problem I currently have on my sat box.

My dish was installed by a Direct TV installer. When it is sunny out I have no problems getting 100% on most of the 101 and 72. The minute the clouds roll in it drops down to below 70%.

As far as your friend at TW, hey I understand that he doesn't like his job but I bet you he will NEVER find a sales job for Direct TV in Rochester. All the sales people for Direct TV live in India and work on the phones. Direct TV outsources their local Media buying. The tech people who you call into live in either Texas or Colorado. That is it. Unless you either:

a) buy a franchise to sell Sat. TV

or

b) work (as a "contractor" ie. no benefits) for a store that sells Sat. TV

then you will have an impossible time finding a comparable job with either of the Sat companies.

Not to mention your friend is a salesman. You can get a job in sales at any company. Not to many companies looking for Linemen or fiber optic techs. I can Guarantee that Direct TV is not looking to fill positions for either of those.

All I know is that Time Warner makes it possible for people in my community to put food on the table and not have to live of public assistance.

Historian
09-20-2006, 12:26 PM
All I know is that Time Warner makes it possible for people in my community to put food on the table and not have to live of public assistance.

When did you move to Timewarnerville?

:snicker:

mysticsoto
09-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I have asked about the phone line and I was told that if you have Direct TV WITH TIVO That you will not get the updates for the DVR. I was told that by 3 different Direct TV people and one was the level 3 tech that was helping me identify the bad input problem I currently have on my sat box.

My dish was installed by a Direct TV installer. When it is sunny out I have no problems getting 100% on most of the 101 and 72. The minute the clouds roll in it drops down to below 70%.

As far as your friend at TW, hey I understand that he doesn't like his job but I bet you he will NEVER find a sales job for Direct TV in Rochester. All the sales people for Direct TV live in India and work on the phones. Direct TV outsources their local Media buying. The tech people who you call into live in either Texas or Colorado. That is it. Unless you either:

a) buy a franchise to sell Sat. TV

or

b) work (as a "contractor" ie. no benefits) for a store that sells Sat. TV

then you will have an impossible time finding a comparable job with either of the Sat companies.

Not to mention your friend is a salesman. You can get a job in sales at any company. Not to many companies looking for Linemen or fiber optic techs. I can Guarantee that Direct TV is not looking to fill positions for either of those.

I'm sorry that you've had such bad experiences with the satellite networks. I hardly ever lose the signal even when it rains or snows. One of the things I do know is that in a survey I saw, customer satisfaction was much higher for satellites than TW - especially Dish Network. Almost everyone I know that owns cable complains about it - except you, of course.

While I understand the wanting to help local communities, how does it help for the local community when TW is upping the price at twice the rate that the satellites are? In the 7 years I had Dish Network, I think it went up like $4. Maybe $5. In the 3 yrs before, when I had TW, it had gone up $10+ in just those 3 yrs!!!

So, while I'm glad that TW is providing more jobs for the local area - I'm not glad that a major portion of it is coming out of my pocket.

And for BMN, the discount for Road Runner is only $5. I have Road Runner myself, so I guess I do support TW there. But even with the discount, I prefer the satellites - as they offer so much more, and don't jack my price up every year!

SquishDaFish
09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
If I was having any problems with the sat because of clouds Id have someone over here fixing it right away because it shouldnt do that if its Aimed right. And yes you need a phone line for the software upgrades but like I said they barely EVER have those updates. Ive had the original Direct TV Tivo from day 1 and its had what 3 or so upgrades which really hasnt added much. Ive had Direct TV since Primestar which has been like 10-15 years. I wouldnt trade it for nothing.

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Yes it may look like it aimed in the same direction but it could be off by 1/4 of an inch which would give you bad signal during a storm. I installed my own system it was easy but i tried to aim the dish myself and said funk it. So i went to radio shack and bought a gizmo that tells me how much signal strength i'm getting to my sattelite.

I would recomend your parents have someone come out and re-aim the dish. As for the arguement cable or direct. Well i've had both and both have thier positives and negatives. It's just a matter of do you want to get a dish or how much has your cable company pissed you off. I prefer the dish but i don't have one go figure. I enjoy going to the bills backers bar here in columbus. So i reckon it's all about choice

SquishDaFish
09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Good posting TAT

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:24 PM
every once in awhile it happens

plus when i was in georgia i worked for direct tv on the weekends to make an extra buck. Some dude came by and asked if i wanted to change my service blah blah blah. He asked who installed my dish and i told him me he asked if i wanted to try working for him. I told him blah and blah. long story short i worked on saturdays and sometimes sundays. If i had a four day weekend i worked friday and monday. Then when i got out i went to adelphia.

The_Philster
09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't know where the hell you were getting your cable from but you were getting ripped off... Time Warner carries ESPN Classic, OLN, and in WNY, MSG... And digital is like $55/month... I also pay $7/month for a DVR and $5 for some extra HD channels beyond the ones I get for free. Getting the same package of channels + DVR and HD from DirecTV does not seem cheaper in any way shape or form to me... Plus I save money because I have Road Runner Internet too, and satellite Internet is incredibly expensive...
I was getting it from Time Warner in Jamestown...woulda been 80 some bucks just to upgrade to digital...and another 20 or so to get a sports package. All my basic package carried was ESPN, ESPN2 and YES...oh..and the Golf Channel :rolleyes:

BlackMetalNinja
09-21-2006, 09:03 AM
I was getting it from Time Warner in Jamestown...woulda been 80 some bucks just to upgrade to digital...and another 20 or so to get a sports package. All my basic package carried was ESPN, ESPN2 and YES...oh..and the Golf Channel :rolleyes:

Like I said, you were getting highly ripped off, and I wouldn't pay that much either, that's insane mostly.