PDA

View Full Version : Losman in his 3rd year

ghz in pittsburgh
09-18-2006, 09:16 AM
in NFL.

Seeing what Losman the 1st two games this year, it just reminded me watching Big Ben's rookie season, especially the first few games. I know some of you, especially those anto-JP crowd, would say wait a minute, wait for at least half a season before you compare him to the great Big Ben. But I'm just recounting what people in Pittsburgh saw back in 2004 when Ben was pressed into action due to Maddox's injury - no one knew at that time Roethlisberger would be this good then.

If you ask anyone then what was special about Big Ben, almost unanomously you got the answer of composure, not getting frustrated whether he threw a TD or pick. I still remember Parcells praised Ben as the most poised rookie QB he ever saw.

Folks, I saw the same thing from Losman, albeit 2 years later. Belichick and Saban threw a lot of things at him the last two games. And unlike Roethlisberger who got a great O-Line throughout his career, Losman faced more bodies in front his face when he tried to deliver a pass. That one thing I see is there: poise. He'd move on to the next play regardless what happened before, and he learned to rely on his teamates, not just his receivers/running backs to make plays for him, but also trust his defenses as well. That's probably the hardest part for a young QB to grasp, to master being a game manager. When you see a chance to make a play, make a play. When you don't see that, don't force it.

Someone just has to learn it the hard way, or takes much longer to get that down. At least Losman is on his way. He'll still make mistakes, even the great Roethlisberger did, too. I'll be content to see Losman gets comfortable in this role this year. If I recall Tom Brady's career back in 2000, I don't think he was used much more than a game manager either. Now where Losman can go from that point onwards is anyone's guess (and is much more difficult to be coached out; it's really about himself than anything else), but we are shaping up as a team that a game managing QB should thrive on: strong defense, top special team. Didn't Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson win superbowls in that kind of environment?

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Let's not go nuts here. He won ONE game. He's nowhere near Big Ben, yet. Let's not enshrine him in the HOF yet.

ICE74129
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Let's not go nuts here. He won ONE game. He's nowhere near Big Ben, yet. Let's not enshrine him in the HOF yet.

His point is Big Ben wasn't **** either in his first few games. The difference that Bills fans either ignore or choose to not accept is We have sucked. The steelers had the best TEAM assembled in some time.

Great Defense, GREAT OL, Great backs, great WR's, Great TE etc. We had **** for talent. Even moreso, GREAT coaching across the board, and we had **** for coaching.

JP is getting the mental game down while STILL not having the team around him Ben did as a rookie. JP deserves props for starting to get there while playing for a crap team with crap coaching....which is what he has had until this year.

Philagape
09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't care what any other QB does. JP's shown tremendous improvement, he's throwing 63 percent, he gets rid of the ball under pressure, and has not had a turnover. And all on the road against tough division rivals. With his playmaking ability and rocket arm, he should respond well when he needs to air it out more.

HHURRICANE
09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
This is my concern and Big Ben is a great comparison.

Big Ben did not have to be hurried on his throws as a rookie. When pressed there were obvious places to move so (a) he could throw the ball or (b) run. Our OL is so inconsistent that JP cannot find his bail out area or get a rythm. David Carr is paying the price for spending his whole career scrambling around. If JP was in Pittsburgh you would have the same player as Big Ben. Same goes for Big Ben being in Buffalo.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Mmmm I beg it just might be a little different if JP and Roethlisberger switching places. There is a reason the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger but not JP (or even attempted to trade down and get JP). I think I've stated this before that almost all successful NFL QBs started at least 3 years in college. JP only had 2. That extra year meant a great deal for QBs who are developing maturity, building poise, and fighting teams designing plays to exploit their weakness.

It looks like on JP, a lot of experts were right. He needs time in NFL and he's showing it, just finding his stride in his 3rd season. A great team around a QB is helpful. But nothing is more important than the QB himself.

Dont drink the water
09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
ghz is right. JP started two years, was in a less mature system in college and did not play first year in NFL due to Vincent. Last year was his "Senior" year, he needed to adjust to his new "professional" staff this year while he had to eb taught to forget all of the bad habits he learned last year. He still appears a year behind Big ben even if teams swapped QBs but he is improving rather than regressing like last year.

He needs to NOT try to do things like try to make something in endzone or when he is being taken to the ground to get to Ben's level however.

HHURRICANE
09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Mmmm I beg it just might be a little different if JP and Roethlisberger switching places. There is a reason the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger but not JP (or even attempted to trade down and get JP).

Bills wanted Ben as well. Pittsburgh was one pick ahead of us and the took Ben. We took Evans and than traded up to get JP at like 24 so Green Bay didn't get him. JP was rated as the #4 QB so Pittsburgh wasn't even looking at him.

My point was that it's easier to develop behind a great line. Kind of like RB's running in Denver. How well would Denver's RB's do in Buffalo or Miami?!