Many Posters Don't Seem to Understand the Value of Special Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Many Posters Don't Seem to Understand the Value of Special Teams

We all get excited about the exploits of Lindell, Moorman, McGee and Parrish in the kicking and return game, but those who have continually called for cutting players like Wire, Aiken, Stamer, Haggan and Neufeld don't seem to understand the other side of Special Teams.

While these guys are not great position players - and they won't be stars in your Fantasy League - they do a lot of the dirty work on punt and kickoff coverage, and are vital to our success. If you wonder while they're still with us, I suggest you read Marv's book, and the emphasis he puts on what he calls "Kicking Teams."
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

Re: Many Posters Don't Seem to Understand the Value of Special Teams

it wasn't too long ago when we stunk on the Special Teams.we've been the best for the last couple of years.it's definitely an important matter to becoming a successful football team.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
      it wasn't too long ago when we stunk on the Special Teams.we've been the best for the last couple of years.it's definitely an important matter to becoming a successful football team.
      Can't believe Danny Smith is still working. GW brought him to Washngton.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

Other than the blocked punt, I don't see where Wire is a great ST'er. I just see him standing around the pile a lot.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

Why do they keep putting Parrish out there for the punt return? I'd rather have McGee.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

While STs are important, in this day and age, the question becomes, At what price?

I don't mind having a few ST aces out there at all, unless they take up valuable cap space that the team may need while trying to rebuild other areas.

The days of the Lingners, the Taskers, and the Pikes hanging around for a decade is gone. Guys have to be able to play dual roles, otherwise they reach a certain plateau in salary, and get cut.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mybills
              Why do they keep putting Parrish out there for the punt return? I'd rather have McGee.

because mcgee is our Kick Returner.
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Why? He has never returned punts in the NFL. Returning KO's and punts are different skills.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

I'd rather have McGee.
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Billsology
                    While STs are important, in this day and age, the question becomes, At what price?

I don't mind having a few ST aces out there at all, unless they take up valuable cap space that the team may need while trying to rebuild other areas.

The days of the Lingners, the Taskers, and the Pikes hanging around for a decade is gone. Guys have to be able to play dual roles, otherwise they reach a certain plateau in salary, and get cut.
                    Most of the ST aces earn a minimum salary. With a cap hovering over 80 million, a guy earning ~$800,000 is not that much of a cap hit. And when the spot he takes is of a deep reserve, the best value for the money spent comes on the productive ST guy.

Throw in the fact that rosters are at 53 and a team has plenty of room to keep ~5 guys that are primarily ST players and also can fill in a 3rd string role as well.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

I'd rather have McGee.
                      Based on what?

Have you ever seen him return punts?

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Based on I don't think Parrish is "great"..and don't throw stats at me..it's what I see.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Parrish is 6th in the NFL, averaging 12 yards per punt return.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

I'd rather have McGee.

too bad...

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Based on I don't think Parrish is "great"..and don't throw stats at me..it's what I see.
                              Sorry, I was already posting them.

But what makes you think McGee can return punts? There is no evidence of it.

And not wanting stats makes me think of TigerJ's sig:

I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

Comment

Working...
                              X