PDA

View Full Version : Many Posters Don't Seem to Understand the Value of Special Teams

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 06:47 AM
We all get excited about the exploits of Lindell, Moorman, McGee and Parrish in the kicking and return game, but those who have continually called for cutting players like Wire, Aiken, Stamer, Haggan and Neufeld don't seem to understand the other side of Special Teams.

While these guys are not great position players - and they won't be stars in your Fantasy League - they do a lot of the dirty work on punt and kickoff coverage, and are vital to our success. If you wonder while they're still with us, I suggest you read Marv's book, and the emphasis he puts on what he calls "Kicking Teams."

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:20 AM
it wasn't too long ago when we stunk on the Special Teams.we've been the best for the last couple of years.it's definitely an important matter to becoming a successful football team.

justasportsfan
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
it wasn't too long ago when we stunk on the Special Teams.we've been the best for the last couple of years.it's definitely an important matter to becoming a successful football team.
Can't believe Danny Smith is still working. GW brought him to Washngton.

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Other than the blocked punt, I don't see where Wire is a great ST'er. I just see him standing around the pile a lot.

mybills
09-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Why do they keep putting Parrish out there for the punt return? I'd rather have McGee. :mad:

Historian
09-19-2006, 07:42 AM
While STs are important, in this day and age, the question becomes, At what price?

I don't mind having a few ST aces out there at all, unless they take up valuable cap space that the team may need while trying to rebuild other areas.

The days of the Lingners, the Taskers, and the Pikes hanging around for a decade is gone. Guys have to be able to play dual roles, otherwise they reach a certain plateau in salary, and get cut.

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Why do they keep putting Parrish out there for the punt return? I'd rather have McGee. :mad:

because mcgee is our Kick Returner.

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:44 AM

Why? He has never returned punts in the NFL. Returning KO's and punts are different skills.

mybills
09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I'd rather have McGee.

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
While STs are important, in this day and age, the question becomes, At what price?

I don't mind having a few ST aces out there at all, unless they take up valuable cap space that the team may need while trying to rebuild other areas.

The days of the Lingners, the Taskers, and the Pikes hanging around for a decade is gone. Guys have to be able to play dual roles, otherwise they reach a certain plateau in salary, and get cut.

Most of the ST aces earn a minimum salary. With a cap hovering over 80 million, a guy earning ~$800,000 is not that much of a cap hit. And when the spot he takes is of a deep reserve, the best value for the money spent comes on the productive ST guy.

Throw in the fact that rosters are at 53 and a team has plenty of room to keep ~5 guys that are primarily ST players and also can fill in a 3rd string role as well.

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:47 AM
I'd rather have McGee.

Based on what?

Have you ever seen him return punts?

mybills
09-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Based on I don't think Parrish is "great"..and don't throw stats at me..it's what I see.

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Parrish is 6th in the NFL, averaging 12 yards per punt return.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNTRET/2006/regular

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I'd rather have McGee.

too bad... :mad:

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Based on I don't think Parrish is "great"..and don't throw stats at me..it's what I see.

Sorry, I was already posting them. :D

But what makes you think McGee can return punts? There is no evidence of it.

And not wanting stats makes me think of TigerJ's sig:

I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Parrish is 6th in the NFL, averaging 12 yards per punt return.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNTRET/2006/regular

what are you doing,Lecter?never argue with a woman when it comes to football.they don't know anything. :snicker:

mybills
09-19-2006, 07:54 AM
I :heart: McGee. That's all. :D

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
see what i mean....

mybills
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
:chuckle:

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:57 AM
:chuckle:

:biggrin:

mybills
09-19-2006, 08:05 AM
12 yds per..pft..I bet McGee would get twice as much! :biggrin:

Night Train
09-19-2006, 08:19 AM
We all get excited about the exploits of Lindell, Moorman, McGee and Parrish in the kicking and return game, but those who have continually called for cutting players like Wire, Aiken, Stamer, Haggan and Neufeld don't seem to understand the other side of Special Teams.

While these guys are not great position players - and they won't be stars in your Fantasy League - they do a lot of the dirty work on punt and kickoff coverage, and are vital to our success. If you wonder while they're still with us, I suggest you read Marv's book, and the emphasis he puts on what he calls "Kicking Teams."

Good post Jan. I'm as guilty as anyone, wondering how certain players made the roster.

I looked at the background of many aquisitions over the last couple of years and thought we had an excess of players with ST's experience. Then I looked at certain guys who didn't bring positives at their assigned positions ( Wire, Aiken etc ) and thought these guys were expendable, since we had a healthy amount of solid players for Bobby April to pick from.

But who am I to question April, the best ST's Coach I've ever seen. If we can still carry a few of these ST aces on a 53 man roster, then it's fine. The results cannot be argued.