PDA

View Full Version : One thing I have noticed about all of Marv's pick-ups

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2006, 07:24 AM
They are all high character players. They also seem to be intelligent.

Listen to guys like Whitner and Simpson speak. Talent alone does not cut it in this league (See Ryan Leaf) and low character will destroy a team from the inside (See Owens, Terrell).

I really like where this team is headed.

SABURZFAN
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
what did they score on that NFL test?

Historian
09-19-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree. They all seem to subscribe to the Marv-axiom, Let your actions speak so loudly, they can't hear what you're saying.

Kerr
09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Because marv wants players that reflect himself.

mchurchfie
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I knew that was going to be the case as soon as Marv stepped in.:up: Donahoe always picked up players that reflected him also....big egoes with no brains.

Meathead
09-19-2006, 10:32 AM
hey minicamp called, they want their observation back

ICE74129
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Listen to guys like Whitner and Simpson speak. Talent alone does not cut it in this league (See Ryan Leaf) and low character will destroy a team from the inside (See Owens, Terrell).

LMAO well then Willis is the anti poster boy.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, he's from the previous big ego/no brain regime. I don't see him here for the long term future, unless his production increases and his attitude improves.

ICE74129
09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, he's from the previous big ego/no brain regime. I don't see him here for the long term future, unless his production increases and his attitude improves.

No matter how much some love the guy, he isnt in the Marv\DJ mode. Now I keep reading how everyone is loving our draft class...which has the opposite attitude that Willis does. So when Marv lets him go/Trades him, they shouldn't complain.

Willis will have to get on board or else.

mchurchfie
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Willis is one mere reinjured knee away from working the drivethru at BurgerKing.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
hey minicamp called, they want their observation back

lol, :respect:

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Willis is one mere reinjured knee away from working the drivethru at BurgerKing.
He'll have to work on his elocution, though, to utter the key phrase: "Fries with that?"

Mahdi
09-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I dont see how Willis has been a problem so far in his career. His production has been good considering he's had no passing game and a bad O-line. And as for attitude the only thing I had a problem with is his procalmation of being the best RB in the league instead of just going out and proving it. Lets face the facts though, no one prepares for a season as well as Willis does. He has a great work ethic, and the fact that he came in to camp 10-12 pounds lighter and a lot faster and quicker is a testament to that. Even when he was being under-used last year he never had a sour attitude about it. Lets give the guy a chance to show his colors while succeeding as well.

L.A. Playa
09-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I dont see how Willis has been a problem so far in his career. His production has been good considering he's had no passing game and a bad O-line. And as for attitude the only thing I had a problem with is his procalmation of being the best RB in the league instead of just going out and proving it. Lets face the facts though, no one prepares for a season as well as Willis does. He has a great work ethic, and the fact that he came in to camp 10-12 pounds lighter and a lot faster and quicker is a testament to that. Even when he was being under-used last year he never had a sour attitude about it. Lets give the guy a chance to show his colors while succeeding as well.

:10:

3rdn1
09-19-2006, 12:54 PM
CARP..... CARP.... GET YOUR FRESH CARP HERE. WE ARE ALSO HAVE A NEW PEPPER. A CHOKE-A-PEPPER AND UR CHOICE OF 7 SACKS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH GETTER DONE KNOW THAT FUNNY I DO CARE WHO ARE.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 01:06 PM

If Willis keeps his mouth shut, runs like it's 4th down everytime and stays healthy we will have our horse, here's to hoping.

ublinkwescore
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
CARP..... CARP.... GET YOUR FRESH CARP HERE. WE ARE ALSO HAVE A NEW PEPPER. A CHOKE-A-PEPPER AND UR CHOICE OF 7 SACKS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH GETTER DONE KNOW THAT FUNNY I DO CARE WHO ARE.

Is this a fin fan posing as a Bills fan?

mchurchfie
09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Lets give the guy a chance to show his colors while succeeding as well.
He did when he didn't report to any of the minicamps and proclaimed himself the best RB in the league.

BillsFever21
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
I can't complain about the talent Donahoe brought to this team. His coaching choices is what killed us.

We've had the talent. He did a good job of bringing in talent. Especially when the entire team was gutted and rebuilt after he arrived. We were basically an expansion team after his first couple years. He built the team up with the talent to make a run but we had idiot coaches that couldn't fulfill their part of the job.

Moulds was the only player left on the team during the Donahoe era from when he took over. His players are still here. Coaching killed us and not talent. I give him respect for the players he brought in. Just not the coaches and the OL never coming together.

If you say the players Donahoe brought it sucked and were stupid then we're still in a ton of trouble. With the exception of a handful of starters and some backups these are still Donahoe's players.

This team wasn't completely gutted this year like it was when Donahoe took over. We had a couple encouraging seasons finishing 8-8 under GW and 9-7 under Mularkey. The idiots(especially Mularkey) just couldn't take the next step afterwards and went in the tank instead.

Marv came in with a good core of players already here. He just needs to tweak a few things and hope for this coaching staff to be much improved. He doesn't need to gut the team and replace 50 players like we did 6 years ago to make it competitive.

It didn't work out with Donahoe here but at least give him some respect for the good things he did do. It's not like it was a horror show and the worst in the league and he left this team with nothing for the present or future to work with. He brought in a lot of good players that we can win with now plus in the future with. There was nothing here when Donahoe took over. Marv came aboard with a good core of players. He needs to put the final touches on it to make it successful.

Marv has more to work with then Donahoe did in their first years. I respect Donahoe for that much. Just not hiring and idiot like Mularkey.

Devin
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe I missed it but apart his little "im the best" comment last year has he been mouthy?

His 2nd season he was lights out, and his 3rd he had 1200 yards and was easily our best offensive player. This year is only 2 games old.

I know wed like to see larger runs/td's but up until this poiint hes kind of been a product of the system hes in.

Thus far im happy with the guy.

Historian
09-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I can't complain about the talent Donahoe brought to this team. His coaching choices is what killed us.

We've had the talent. He did a good job of bringing in talent. Especially when the entire team was gutted and rebuilt after he arrived. We were basically an expansion team after his first couple years. He built the team up with the talent to make a run but we had idiot coaches that couldn't fulfill their part of the job.

Moulds was the only player left on the team during the Donahoe era from when he took over. His players are still here. Coaching killed us and not talent. I give him respect for the players he brought in. Just not the coaches and the OL never coming together.

If you say the players Donahoe brought it sucked and were stupid then we're still in a ton of trouble. With the exception of a handful of starters and some backups these are still Donahoe's players.

This team wasn't completely gutted this year like it was when Donahoe took over. We had a couple encouraging seasons finishing 8-8 under GW and 9-7 under Mularkey. The idiots(especially Mularkey) just couldn't take the next step afterwards and went in the tank instead.

Marv came in with a good core of players already here. He just needs to tweak a few things and hope for this coaching staff to be much improved. He doesn't need to gut the team and replace 50 players like we did 6 years ago to make it competitive.

It didn't work out with Donahoe here but at least give him some respect for the good things he did do. It's not like it was a horror show and the worst in the league and he left this team with nothing for the present or future to work with. He brought in a lot of good players that we can win with now plus in the future with. There was nothing here when Donahoe took over. Marv came aboard with a good core of players. He needs to put the final touches on it to make it successful.

Marv has more to work with then Donahoe did in their first years. I respect Donahoe for that much. Just not hiring and idiot like Mularkey.

I agree to an extent. The way I look at it is that TD drafted all the sexy skill positions and ignored the lines....especially on offense.

And it was his decision to gut what was a pretty damn good defense, due to his own paranoid ego. He didn't have to cut Jones, Holicek, Carpenter, etc right away. He could have kept some of them to mentor the young guys. Heck, some of them are still kicking around the league.

Not all of his player picks were bad, look at Schobel and Denny. I'm even impressed with the way Kelsay played last year.

But you're right. His coaching selections were abysmal. Every decision made after that one is affected by the decision of who was selected as Head Coach.

...trying to find the next young genius....puh!

L.A. Playa
09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Maybe I missed it but apart his little "im the best" comment last year has he been mouthy?

His 2nd season he was lights out, and his 3rd he had 1200 yards and was easily our best offensive player. This year is only 2 games old.

I know wed like to see larger runs/td's but up until this poiint hes kind of been a product of the system hes in.

Thus far im happy with the guy.

Crisis
09-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Is it Buffalo trend to stick up for losers and hate our best players?

Clements and McGahee suck when they have good games but when Losman plays average he's a gift from God?

L.A. Playa
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Is it Buffalo trend to stick up for losers and hate our best players?

Clements and McGahee suck when they have good games but when Losman plays average he's a gift from God?

ZacGriffi~82
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Willis has changed. That first half against Miami was the hardest i've seen him run in a very long time. He was finishing the tacklers not the other way around.

G. Host
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM

I listened to him after Miami game and he was 'adequete'. You think Marv is giving him pointers? Donahoe should have insisted he take classed while on IR but Vincent would have objected.

Yeah I gave Willis 'Me' McGahee a positive comment - faint now.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Willis has changed. That first half against Miami was the hardest i've seen him run in a very long time. He was finishing the tacklers not the other way around.

Yep, he was running real hard and kept his mouth shut.

BillsFever21
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I agree to an extent. The way I look at it is that TD drafted all the sexy skill positions and ignored the lines....especially on offense.

And it was his decision to gut what was a pretty damn good defense, due to his own paranoid ego. He didn't have to cut Jones, Holicek, Carpenter, etc right away. He could have kept some of them to mentor the young guys. Heck, some of them are still kicking around the league.

Not all of his player picks were bad, look at Schobel and Denny. I'm even impressed with the way Kelsay played last year.

But you're right. His coaching selections were abysmal. Every decision made after that one is affected by the decision of who was selected as Head Coach.

...trying to find the next young genius....puh!

We were 30 million over the salary cap and our team was bad. He got rid of all of them guys because they were overpaid. Had he kept some of them guys we wouldn't have been able to afford to sign some of the stars on our defense now.

Plus what kind of an impact has any of them guys made since being released? Carpenter was the only one of that list that landed on another team and made any type of a contribution let alone impact.

Jones and Holicek fell off the face of the earth. I can't think of any of them guys that has made an impact anywhere else.

They were all making multi millions that they no longer deserved or we could afford. We were 30 million dollars over the cap. We had no choice but to cut them overpaid aging players.

Within 2 years after that Donahoe had this defense built back up to the point where they were one of the best defenses in the league for 2 straight years.

Coach Sal
09-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Here's an article I wrote back in May for BillsInsider. Hope you all read and enjoy it:

Bills Hoping Smart Guys Don't Finish Last
By BillsInsider Sal Capaccio

Donte Whitner’s college position coach says his former athlete is “definitely a student of the game…..he has a willingness to learn and study the game of football.” He also calls Donte a “tremendous success story” off the field.

John McCargo’s position coach says McCargo “is sensitive and cares about people…soft-spoken and well-mannered…a breath of fresh air.”

Ashton Youboty left war-torn Liberia with his family when he was five years old, which has made him much more appreciative of what he has in life than most athletes his age.

Ko Simpson is a self-admitted “Momma’s boy.”

Kyle Williams is a youth minister intern and teaches Sunday school with his wife.

If the Buffalo Bills were playing for the Charity Bowl, their 2006 Draft class may make them an early Vegas-line favorite. But this is the NFL, and what happens on the field determines winners. Bills GM Marv Levy and Head Coach Dick Jauron, both former Ivy Leaguers themselves, are hoping their new choir boys’ work ethics and intelligence off the field will serve as missing pieces to a symphony that ends with a performance on the greatest stage of all -- the Super Bowl.

The accolades don’t stop with the team’s aforementioned first five draft choices. Fifth-rounder Brad Butler wants to run for political office after his playing days are over. Bills Coordinator of College Scouting calls Butler a “smart, tough guy.”

Sixth-round pick Keith Ellison prides himself in his trustworthiness.

Seventh-round selection Terrance Pennington’s father played in the league, and he understands how hard he has to work to make it, and how fortunate he is to even have the opportunity to follow in his dad’s footsteps.

Click here for the rest of the article:
http://billsinsider.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9045

patmoran2006
09-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Excellent post.. Right on the money.

THis team is being set up real nice for the future, and if they do anything this year, consider it a bonus.

TigerJ
09-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I think Ko Simpson's Wonderlic score was actually pretty low. He seems to have football intelligence though, and sound character. I think the other draft picks were all considered pretty bright.

Added: Yeah I went and did a search. A discussion on a Chargers fan forum back in March talked about Ko Simpson scoring a 10 on the Wonderlic. It's generally pretty hard to find Wonderlic results on the internet because the NFL makes an effort to suppress it, but that coincides with my memory.