PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 suspends officials for 1 game

Michael82
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
The Pacific-10 Conference, finding merit in Oklahoma's complaints about the officiating in its loss to Oregon, issued a one-game suspension Monday to the officiating crew and the instant replay officials who worked the game, and an apology to the Sooners.

The Ducks won the game 34-33 after scoring two touchdowns in the final 72 seconds.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops and his players," Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said in a statement. "They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

After the Sooners' practice Monday, Stoops said the apology brought him no satisfaction.

"At least they have reacted to it and tried. Truly there can be no amends to it and it can't be corrected," Stoops said.

The loss was Oklahoma's first of the season and immediately lessens the Sooners' chances of making it to a third BCS title game in four years.

"I've made a million mistakes," Stoops said. "I'll make a million more in each game, and in that game included, I wish there were things I could have done differently or changed. Unlike officials, players and coaches don't have that opportunity. They had an opportunity to get it right and they chose not to. So I find it still absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable."

Two plays were reviewed on Oregon's game-winning drive -- an onside kick that gave the Ducks possession and a pass interference call one play before Oregon's winning touchdown.

Hansen said the onside kick was touched by an Oregon player before it had traveled the required 10 yards, and, therefore, the ball should have been awarded to Oklahoma. The video also shows an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball, although that aspect of the play was not reviewable under the instant replay rule.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cfootball/285593_pac19.html

Kerr
09-19-2006, 10:03 AM
They should.

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Well this should get ICE going.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 10:13 AM
The NFL can't suspend their officials for incorrect, bone-headed, game-changing calls, because there wouldn't be any left to call the next weeks'games.

Mr. Miyagi
09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I never understood why any play should be unreviewable. Everything should be reviewable IMO.

Michael82
09-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Well this should get ICE going.
BUMP for ICE! :up:

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I am not sure I like them being suspended.

We all make mistakes at our jobs, sometimes they are costly.

I think we would ***** up a storm if that happened to one of us.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh I knew the minute the decision came down. Everyone around here did. the Pac 10 screwed the pooch. There is no way they couldn't go any other way with it.

EVERY Media outlet backed our stance on it, because it was blatently obvious.

I love how the puss in the booth is whining about he can't eat, sleep, and his wife who is a nurse checks his blood pressure every 4 hours. Tough ****!

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I am not sure I like them being suspended.

We all make mistakes at our jobs, sometimes they are costly.

I think we would ***** up a storm if that happened to one of us.

Are you kidding me? the only ***** here is they JUST got one game. They just litterally took a game from an NCAAI Team. They possibly changed the potential landscape of this seasons standings. They should be gone period.

Look they had the replay, it was obvious. There is no way in hell this POS didn't intentionally do it. NO FRIGGIN WAY! Not to mention the assclowns on the field ignored the FACT our guy had the friggin football and awarded it to Oregon!!

Mad Bomber
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
What really got me about the call is that it was clear from the replay that the Oregon player touched it before it had gone 10 yards, but when the ref announced the results of the review, he said their was indisputable video evidence that an OKLAHOMA player had touched the ball first! He must not have been watching the same replays I was watching.

A one game suspension isn't nearly enough of a penalty for such blatant incompetence.

SABURZFAN
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
i really don't blame the officials.they're human and have to make calls right on the spot.that guy in the review box should be canned for the rest of the season.then again,you get what you pay for.they only pay the $400 a game.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:31 PM
What really got me about the call is that it was clear from the replay that the Oregon player touched it before it had gone 10 yards, but when the ref announced the results of the review, he said their was indisputable video evidence that an OKLAHOMA player had touched the ball first! He must not have been watching the same replays I was watching.

A one game suspension isn't nearly enough of a penalty for such blatant incompetence.

Exactly! The two things the refs blew were 1) the FACT the OU guy had the damn ball. He had it in his hands and showed it to the refs. They said no the oregon guy had the ball and was down when in FACT no one had possesion in the pile!

2) the tipped pass at the LOS during the last drive. It was obvious. but then again the replay guy screwed up that one too.

The replay guy needs to NEVER be allowed to do that job again.

DynaPaul
09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Man, if the NFL did this Walt Coleman would never make it through the season!

Mitchy moo
09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Pats 1 penalty against the Bills with 3 moorman tackles to their credit, nuff said.

Typ0
09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
this is exactly what the NFL needs to start doing...and multiple suspensions = you are fired!

I do not care what kind of team you are running the way you make it better is to constantly weed out the lowest performers. The NFL officials get away with too much crap and people need to step up to the plate in different ways to let the NFL know the fans know they are ruining the league this way. Do you really want to spend the dough to go to a game to see the refs decide who win? I know I do not and apparently people in the Pac-10 do not either.