PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown's blog

Kerr
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
LIKING THIS STAFF: It's very refreshing to see a coaching staff actually do what it says it will. Most coaches in the league say they're going to give their players the best chance to succeed on the field, but it doesn't always happen. Some coaches get too caught up in their scheme and try to put square pegs into round holes. I remember when Kevin Gilbride tried to do that in the 2003 season. He kept trying to hit big plays down the field knowing he didn't have the kind of offensive line that could hold up. He tried to force Josh Reed into becoming a full time outside receiver.
This year we've already seen signs of the coaching staff's ability to utilize the strengths of their players and they're not even fully knowledgeable of all that each of their players are capable of.
"We’re still learning about them," said head coach Dick Jauron. "But they respond really well and work really hard. Those are two great attributes, but it’s still really early.”

Some examples of how the staff has used the strengths of their personnel to their advantage. Coy Wire was used this past week on defense whenever the Dolphins went to a two tight end alignment. They took Terrence McGee off the field since there was only one wideout and made Wire a third safety with Whitner and Simpson.

Since a lot of teams run out of that 'Ace' formation Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there. He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage.

They used Kiwaukee Thomas as their slot corner in the nickel package this week. Since they liked the matchup of McGee outside on Chris Chambers better than Greer, who would've been outside in nickel situations on Chambers with McGee in the slot had he been part of the nickel package, they put their next best slot corner after McGee (Thomas) on the slot and left McGee outside. Chambers had four catches in the game.

On offense with Evans getting double teamed so much, Steve Fairchild got Roscoe Parrish on the field more often to work the underneath zones, knowing he could get consistent separation from just about anybody. Parrish got the most playing time he's seen on offense to date last week and helped. Heck he would've had a touchdown if not for a penalty.

To see these adjustments from the coaching staff is a very encouraging sign to me. They not only make adjustments with their schemes, they also make them with their personnel. Too many coordinators in this league are too pigheaded to alter their approach or philosophy. Seeing how open minded and creative Fairchild and Fewell have been is a breath of fresh air.

Much like people are realizing what a strong draft class Buffalo has assembled, they'll also soon realize what a strong staff Jauron has assembled as well.

:up:

Some say it's way too early to get ahead of ourselves and celebrate, but this coaching staff has made a believer out of me. They're the anti-Mularkey, Gilbride, and GW. How could you not see it? This team gave NE a battle, and they beat another "super bowl contender" on the road in back to back games. The chance to be 3-1 after the Vikings game is absolutely there just because of the talent and coaching. I haven't seen a coach get rookie players on defense play this well since Jimmy Johson's tenure in Miami. I don't like jj, but he was a pretty good head coach.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Great read. Coy Wire even has some value as a position player, when he can play up against the run, and not get exposed in coverage.

Mr. Miyagi
09-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Another thing I like about this coaching staff is their smart gameday playcalling and clock management. Nothing too risky, nothing fancy. Just good solid playcalling - and this includes that 4th down go-for-it call vs NE.

ICE74129
09-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Another thing I like about this coaching staff is their smart gameday playcalling and clock management. Nothing too risky, nothing fancy. Just good solid playcalling - and this includes that 4th down go-for-it call vs NE.

I agree I would have called to go for it in NE. It was the right time, we just didn't have the horses to pull it off

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The 2 TE set is difficult to defend if the opposing offense knows how to manage it properly. I like what they did lining Wire up in the 3rd safety slot, and quite frankly, I didn't even pick up on it as they played.

What's not so great about it is that upcoming offenses will prepare for it in future games. An audible shift in formation is all it takes to have Wire pulled back down into a 3rd corner position.

See, right now offenses are having a difficult time adjusting to players and a defense that they have yet to see on tape. The Jets have more to look at this week.

Let's hope Jauron and Fewell can situate themselves accordingly.

DraftBoy
09-19-2006, 01:00 PM
I really like our defense! Fewell seems to be agreat coordinator and I hope we dont lose him in a few years to become a HC.

BillsFever21
09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I really like our defense! Fewell seems to be agreat coordinator and I hope we dont lose him in a few years to become a HC.

I like what he's doing so far but it's a little to early to proclaim losing him to a HC job in a couple years already.

Jerry Gray looked great a few years ago when we had one of the best defenses in the league for 2 years straight and many said he could land a HC job.

We need to sit back and enjoy the ride and see how things turn out. Proclaiming anything right now is overreacting. Jerry Gray had a great defense for 2 straight seasons and look how he finished. Fewell's defense has looked good for 1 game and great for 1 game.

Against the Patriots the defense couldn't seal the deal in the 2nd half. The Patriots ran and threw at will against us and we couldn't get their offense off the field in the 2nd half.

There are good signs and reason for optimism right now. Not enough after 2 games to be worried about losing him to a HC job in a couple years though.

ublinkwescore
09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree I would have called to go for it in NE. It was the right time, we just didn't have the horses to pull it off

I wonder why we didn't keep Aaron Gibson for situations like that - something tells me if we put him on the field next to Peters, tell Shelton to fly to the left of Gibson's left side, and let the Pats know that we're running to our right side, we still got that first down - who the hell is gonna stop those big bodies?

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I like what he's doing so far but it's a little to early to proclaim losing him to a HC job in a couple years already.

Jerry Gray looked great a few years ago when we had one of the best defenses in the league for 2 years straight and many said he could land a HC job.

We need to sit back and enjoy the ride and see how things turn out. Proclaiming anything right now is overreacting. Jerry Gray had a great defense for 2 straight seasons and look how he finished. Fewell's defense has looked good for 1 game and great for 1 game.

Against the Patriots the defense couldn't seal the deal in the 2nd half. The Patriots ran and threw at will against us and we couldn't get their offense off the field in the 2nd half.

There are good signs and reason for optimism right now. Not enough after 2 games to be worried about losing him to a HC job in a couple years though.

That wasn't Gray. Gray was just an student of the game then as Dick LeBeau created that stellar defense.

TacklingDummy
09-19-2006, 04:44 PM

Of course you would go for it. Because you're a coach and you know everything.

Even though the right thing to do would of been to kick the FG and be up by 13 points. Going for it just changed the momentum of the game. When you have the 29th ranked offense in the NFL, you kick a FG when you have points staring you in the face. Damn, we could of been 2-0.

I watched that play about 12 times on super slow replay. And you can clearly see JP stick his leg out and trip Willis after he hands him the ball. ;)

Gunzlingr
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
You just can't help posting Ignorant crap, can you
?

G. Host
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
The 2 TE set is difficult to defend if the opposing offense knows how to manage it properly. I like what they did lining Wire up in the 3rd safety slot, and quite frankly, I didn't even pick up on it as they played.

What's not so great about it is that upcoming offenses will prepare for it in future games. An audible shift in formation is all it takes to have Wire pulled back down into a 3rd corner position.

Doubt the Bills will do that - someone else will drop back in coverage like Denney did on TE when they did it once and Wire engaged a lineman allowing someome else to penitrate.

G. Host
09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I wonder why we didn't keep Aaron Gibson for situations like that - something tells me if we put him on the field next to Peters, tell Shelton to fly to the left of Gibson's left side, and let the Pats know that we're running to our right side, we still got that first down - who the hell is gonna stop those big bodies?

Gibson was not blocking well in preseason games which were at full speed unlike camp which is why he was released. Blocking was very, very bad during preseason game I saw and that was not against 1st string players.

justasportsfan
09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
I watched that play about 12 times on super slow replay. And you can clearly see JP stick his leg out and trip Willis after he hands him the ball. ;)

Haha! You're such a JP hater you'll create some BS. It's on bb.com. He did not trip Willis. :coocoo:

Goobylal
09-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Which is why getting Bowen back will be a huge upgrade to the defense. And it will relegate Wire to what he does best: ST's.

ICE74129
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM

Even though the right thing to do would of been to kick the FG and be up by 13 points. Going for it just changed the momentum of the game. When you have the 29th ranked offense in the NFL, you kick a FG when you have points staring you in the face. Damn, we could of been 2-0.

I agree with gunz. Pure and absolute spam.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 09:22 PM

you are dreaming.