PDA

View Full Version : Chargers get Volek from Titans...

mysticsoto
09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I used to like Volek...but we gave him the opportunity to come here and maybe even start a few years ago and he turned us down b'cse he loved Tennessee so much. And look at him now...traded for a 6th rd, possibly a 5th...I want SD to lose now...

Chargers get Volek from Titans

Veteran QB will back up first-year starter Rivers

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Chargers agreed in principle to acquire quarterback Billy Volek (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5339) from Tennessee on Tuesday, giving San Diego a veteran to back up first-year starter Philip Rivers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6763).

Volek's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told The Associated Press that Volek was in the process of signing the form to waive his no-trade clause.

"It's a formality at this point," Rosenhaus said. "We just have to take care of that piece of paperwork, then Billy will be on his way back home to California."
The Chargers are believed to be giving up a sixth-round draft pick that could escalate to a fifth-rounder, depending on Volek's playing time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/19/bc.fbn.volektrade.ap/index.html

OpIv37
09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
so are the Titans gonna start Young?

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm still baffled at why the got rid of Brees. They were so close to getting things done out their and now they're just starting over from scratch with Rivers.

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Good question. I bet Young will at least be starting by the end of the season.

mysticsoto
09-19-2006, 01:57 PM

So far, the coach has said "No". But from all reports, apparently Vince is doing better than expected and actually coming along nicely. It'll remain to be seen - they don't want to put him in too early though...

OpIv37
09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
So far, the coach has said "No". But from all reports, apparently Vince is doing better than expected and actually coming along nicely. It'll remain to be seen - they don't want to put him in too early though...

who else do they have?

Jan Reimers
09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I used to like Volek...but we gave him the opportunity to come here and maybe even start a few years ago and he turned us down b'cse he loved Tennessee so much. And look at him now...traded for a 6th rd, possibly a 5th...I want SD to lose now...
I think we'll get a veteran QB next season to compete with Nall for the backup job to JP, and get rid of Holcomb.

mysticsoto
09-19-2006, 02:31 PM
who else do they have?

They have Kerry Collins playing right now. And I think their attitude is - if a Veteran can't do it, how is Vince going to be able to?

Next year, I bet Young starts though...

Night Train
09-19-2006, 02:34 PM
How hard is it to turn around and hand the ball to LT ?

That's why SD can move slowly with Rivers. That and throw short to Gates 12 times a game.

Mr. Miyagi
09-19-2006, 02:40 PM
I think we'll get a veteran QB next season to compete with Nall for the backup job to JP, and get rid of Holcomb.
That's what Holcomb was supposed to be, the veteran QB competing for the backup job, before TD and MM screwed it all up. :mad:

BillsFever21
09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder if Volek regrets staying with the Titans now. He would've had much more playing time here over the last few years. He stayed with the Titans and look at how he was treated in the end.

I would've much rather had Volek instead of Holcomb over the last couple years and would rather have him now.

Did anybody notice Losman and Holcomb associating on the sidelines last week? Do you think they are getting along more now? I don't trust anything Holcomb would be telling Losman. Holcomb sucks as it is and is just hoping something happens to Losman so he can start again.

Holcomb isn't the best mentor to have. He would backstab him again like last year when given the opportunity. Hopefully this is his last year.

justasportsfan
09-19-2006, 03:51 PM
. He would backstab him again like last year when given the opportunity. Hopefully this is his last year.
Not under Marv and Dicks watch. It was easy to stab people in the back under Moolarkey.

So far, reports are KH and JP are getting along fine. JP was seen discussing the plays on the sideline with KH. I just wish JP learns to do a quick cont as well as KH that drew teams offside a lot.

DynaPaul
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't get why Volek went there since San Diego already has a lot invested in a young franchise QB who seems to be doing well. He should have went somewhere else where the QB situation could use a serious upgrade instead of going to a team strictly for depth.