PDA

View Full Version : Bowen or Whitner

RedEyE
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Sometime soon the Bills coaching staff will be faced with the decision of starting Matt Bowen over Donte Whitner. Personally, I think you go with the flow here and go with what works. Whitner keeps the starting position until his performance deems otherwise.

Spikes is an easy choice to make. Spikes instantly makes this team better when he's healthy, but Bowen adds nothing that doesn't already exist (except depth).

Your thoughts?

Devin
09-19-2006, 07:55 PM
No Question.

Whitner is a rookie, but hes playing well. Until he gives you reason hes the starter. Of course even then id just as soon let he and Simpson take their lumps and play it out.

Goobylal
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
It's funny you ask this. This is from Chris Brown's blog today:

Some examples of how the staff has used the strengths of their personnel to their advantage. Coy Wire was used this past week on defense whenever the Dolphins went to a two tight end alignment. They took Terrence McGee off the field since there was only one wideout and made Wire a third safety with Whitner and Simpson.

Since a lot of teams run out of that 'Ace' formation Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there. He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage.

Now I have no doubt that Donte will continue to start at SS. He's made a lot of plays, is young, super-talented, and a highly-paid high pick that needs game time. Where Bowen will fit-in though is replacing Wire on defense on those 2 TE sets, where he'll be a HUGE upgrade over Wire, especially on pass defense in those situations.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Kerr
09-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Stick with whitner. He's building a chemistry with the defense.

X-Era
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Sometime soon the Bills coaching staff will be faced with the decision of starting Matt Bowen over Donte Whitner. Personally, I think you go with the flow here and go with what works. Whitner keeps the starting position until his performance deems otherwise.

Spikes is an easy choice to make. Spikes instantly makes this team better when he's healthy, but Bowen adds nothing that doesn't already exist (except depth).

Your thoughts? I cant see us playing a newly healthy but very rusty Bowen over our 1st round rookie who is playing well.

justasportsfan
09-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Up until the injury, Bowens was having a monster camp. He was one of the best players who kept msking plays(INT's) . If he get's back to form, he could be in there. Either ways, it's a good problem to have.

G. Host
09-19-2006, 08:23 PM
No Question.

Whitner is a rookie, but hes playing well. Until he gives you reason hes the starter. Of course even then id just as soon let he and Simpson take their lumps and play it out.

I think tiy do the opposite - make every job subject to competition; if you do a poor job on a game and coaches feel you could have done better (not beaten by better talent or scheme) you give the competitors a chance no matter if they were drafted, undrafted or traded for as long as they 1. You are not holding out, demanding renegotiation, talking bad about teammates, etc. 2. You show that you are at least as good as competition in practice.

Mudflap1
09-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I think both will play. It seems to be Fewell and Jauron's style to play a few guys situationally if they are good players, ie rotating Denney and Schobel, the DT's, Wire against the run, etc. I think overall though, we'll see Whitner being the "regular" SS, unless he starts to become a major liability.

Jon

mysticsoto
09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
If Bowen is good with interceptions, perhaps he can be placed in on 3rd downs. It will also be great that he can join STs and make them that much better...

But given that Whitner was around almost every play in the Miami game, I think he's earned the starting role!!!

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 09:15 PM
shifting in & out, donte gets more game time.

G. Host
09-19-2006, 09:29 PM
The safeties will be rotated because they will be running down the field for the Jets will be trying to stretch it. They have no running game but WRs have speed.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2006, 09:43 PM
The safeties will be rotated because they will be running down the field for the Jets will be trying to stretch it. They have no running game but WRs have speed.

Chad will not have time to get those passes off.