• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gil
    • Mar 2005

Wire named ST Player of the Week

I can't believe he beat out Moorman...

Buffalo's special teams have been ranked number one in the league the past two years, and now the personal recognition is coming along with it.

Bills special teams ace and safety Coy Wire was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his standout performance in Buffalo's 16-6 win at Miami last Sunday.

Up 13-0 late in the third quarter, the Bills got a defensive stop on third down forcing the Dolphins to punt from their own 40-yard line. Wire lined up on the right side of Buffalo's formation simply beat his man and blocked the punt by Miami's Donnie Jones.

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time," said Wire of the play. "It comes down to hard work and preparation. I just tried to come hard and felt he wasn't going to be able to hold me up all day long. I thought that I would get through and I did. I was fortunate."
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Wire named ST Player of the Week

I just caught that, wow. I really like this:

"We have a special special teams unit," said Wire. "We've been number one in the NFL the past two years and we have high expectations for ourselves. We want to be the best. We want to be the best in the NFL every time we step on the field."

Nice Job Coy!!

Comment

• Dont drink the water
      • Oct 2005

Blocking punts is very, very difficult. I think the Fish kicker has only had two or three bliocked in his career. He was also key in keeping the Fish returner from getting many yards.

Give him the kudos when he deserves it!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Maybe we should keep him around.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

As I recall that play really ended the game because it lead to a FG that basically put us up ~3 scores barring 2 - 2 point conversion (which is not likely).

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

Wire gets the nod for blocking one punt but our punter knocks them down deep and gets no recognition? Moorman should have gotten the award.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Im shocked I thought Moorman had it bagged.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Good for Coy. The guy's caught a lot of heat around here for taking up a roster spot, but he's well worth it. Great job by Wire.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Ryan Longwell had to have gotten the NFC ST player of the week.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                    Wire gets the nod for blocking one punt but our punter knocks them down deep and gets no recognition? Moorman should have gotten the award.
                    I was just going to say the same thing...Punters never get any credit. Moorman was outstanding in his punts and probably deserves it more. But b'cse Coy did the flashy block, he gets the award. Had Wire done something in addition to the block I might have said fine, but...Moorman had 4 punts inside the 10. What else could he do? Perhaps he also should have run by Shelton for a sack on Daunte, ran a punt return into the endzone and intercepted a pass by Daunte...and even then...he might not get much recognition...

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      Maybe we should keep him around.
                      Music to Shelby's ears!
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

Wire deserved the award for tjhe block which was critical and difficult and for being leader of the defense including on those well rated return teams. I do not expect some to ever give him credit. If he jumped the Niagara River someone would say why not Lake Erie or Atlantic Ocean?

Comment

• BillsNick
                          • Jul 2003

I can't believe that Moorman didn't get it. I mean c'mon, seriously.

Comment

• SpillerThrills
                            • Oct 2005

I think that people on this board are just mad cause Coy got some credit for being a great special teams player. what morman did was great, but his job is to do just what he did. how many punts get blocked in the nfl each year??? not alot!!! what coy did was special, it's not done very much each year. punters drop punts inside the 20, the 10, the 5 all the time..... why is it so hard for people on here to give coy some credit for what he does well???? I have personally always liked what coy does on special teams but I will admit that I do get nervous when he's in on D. he deserves to get credit for what he's done and now he's getting it and you guys are on here complaining about it..... give the guy some respect!!
                            2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
                            2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
                            2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
                            2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

Great Job Coy, do it alot more times this year. We as Bills fans are behind you.

Comment

Working...
                              X