PDA

View Full Version : Wire named ST Player of the Week

gil
09-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I can't believe he beat out Moorman...

Buffalo's special teams have been ranked number one in the league the past two years, and now the personal recognition is coming along with it.

Bills special teams ace and safety Coy Wire was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his standout performance in Buffalo's 16-6 win at Miami last Sunday.

Up 13-0 late in the third quarter, the Bills got a defensive stop on third down forcing the Dolphins to punt from their own 40-yard line. Wire lined up on the right side of Buffalo's formation simply beat his man and blocked the punt by Miami's Donnie Jones.

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time," said Wire of the play. "It comes down to hard work and preparation. I just tried to come hard and felt he wasn't going to be able to hold me up all day long. I thought that I would get through and I did. I was fortunate."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4155

Mitchy moo
09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I just caught that, wow. I really like this:

"We have a special special teams unit," said Wire. "We've been number one in the NFL the past two years and we have high expectations for ourselves. We want to be the best. We want to be the best in the NFL every time we step on the field."

Nice Job Coy!!

Dont drink the water
09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Blocking punts is very, very difficult. I think the Fish kicker has only had two or three bliocked in his career. He was also key in keeping the Fish returner from getting many yards.

Give him the kudos when he deserves it!

Jan Reimers
09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Maybe we should keep him around.

Mitchy moo
09-20-2006, 11:24 AM
As I recall that play really ended the game because it lead to a FG that basically put us up ~3 scores barring 2 - 2 point conversion (which is not likely).

chernobylwraiths
09-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Wire gets the nod for blocking one punt but our punter knocks them down deep and gets no recognition? Moorman should have gotten the award.

The King
09-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Im shocked I thought Moorman had it bagged.

Carlton Bailey
09-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Good for Coy. The guy's caught a lot of heat around here for taking up a roster spot, but he's well worth it. Great job by Wire.

RedEyE
09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Ryan Longwell had to have gotten the NFC ST player of the week.

mysticsoto
09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Wire gets the nod for blocking one punt but our punter knocks them down deep and gets no recognition? Moorman should have gotten the award.

I was just going to say the same thing...Punters never get any credit. Moorman was outstanding in his punts and probably deserves it more. But b'cse Coy did the flashy block, he gets the award. Had Wire done something in addition to the block I might have said fine, but...Moorman had 4 punts inside the 10. What else could he do? Perhaps he also should have run by Shelton for a sack on Daunte, ran a punt return into the endzone and intercepted a pass by Daunte...and even then...he might not get much recognition...

mybills
09-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe we should keep him around.
Music to Shelby's ears! :D

G. Host
09-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Wire deserved the award for tjhe block which was critical and difficult and for being leader of the defense including on those well rated return teams. I do not expect some to ever give him credit. If he jumped the Niagara River someone would say why not Lake Erie or Atlantic Ocean?

BillsNick
09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I can't believe that Moorman didn't get it. I mean c'mon, seriously.

SpillerThrills
09-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I think that people on this board are just mad cause Coy got some credit for being a great special teams player. what morman did was great, but his job is to do just what he did. how many punts get blocked in the nfl each year??? not alot!!! what coy did was special, it's not done very much each year. punters drop punts inside the 20, the 10, the 5 all the time..... why is it so hard for people on here to give coy some credit for what he does well???? I have personally always liked what coy does on special teams but I will admit that I do get nervous when he's in on D. he deserves to get credit for what he's done and now he's getting it and you guys are on here complaining about it..... give the guy some respect!!

Mitchy moo
09-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Great Job Coy, do it alot more times this year. We as Bills fans are behind you.

shelby
09-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Music to Shelby's ears! :D

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/9-1156043875.gif

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/9-1149971641.gif

BillsNick
09-22-2006, 08:15 AM
I think that people on this board are just mad cause Coy got some credit for being a great special teams player. what morman did was great, but his job is to do just what he did. how many punts get blocked in the nfl each year??? not alot!!! what coy did was special, it's not done very much each year. punters drop punts inside the 20, the 10, the 5 all the time..... why is it so hard for people on here to give coy some credit for what he does well???? I have personally always liked what coy does on special teams but I will admit that I do get nervous when he's in on D. he deserves to get credit for what he's done and now he's getting it and you guys are on here complaining about it..... give the guy some respect!!

Ok, I think it's great that Coy blocked a punt. Awesome.

But don't tell me that punters drop the ball inside the 15 yard line "all the time" cuz they don't. Especially not 5 times in one game which is what Moorman did. He continually pinned the Miami offense inside their 15 which had a big part in keeping them out of the endzone.

So while it's great that Coy blocked that punt, he ain't gonna do that every game.

shelby
09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
i think Moorman didn't get the nod because he is so consistent. He is one of the best punters out there, without question. We all know how good he is and expect him to perform at the same level every week.
Wire was recognized because a play like that doesn't happen every game. JMO.