PDA

View Full Version : Is McCargo going to be our not so good pick?

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
So far I really haven't seen much from him. Williams is having more of an impact. I know McCargo is the backup to tripplet, but still, I'm not seeing too much from him when he is in there.

Devin
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
All of our DT's have been doing there job, its unfair to suggest after 2 games that he maybe a bad pick. We have simply been lucky with our picks, he may just take longer to develop.

Mad Bomber
09-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I'll reserve judgment until the end of the season. It's way too early in the season to tell how he'll turn out.

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2006, 12:38 PM
So far I don't have an opinion either way.

Devin
09-20-2006, 12:38 PM
If after year 2 McCargo hasnt done anything sure.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
He came out a year early and has played two NFL games.

Like Thurm, I do not have an opinion yet.

SABURZFAN
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
a DT just doesn't come into the league and dominate right away.it'll be a couple of years before we can judge mccargo.

Tatonka
09-20-2006, 12:45 PM
expectations have been set very high because of the unexpected production of the other young guys. realistically, as a back up, his "production" or numbers may not show much of anything, but sam adams was like that for most of his career and still was a force. so it is really tough to gauge.

i think he will be fine. it takes some guys longer, but regardless, he has done nothing to hurt us at this point and i have no problem with him.

Kerr
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
We passed on ngata and bunkley for mcCargo, but those two haven't done much either.

OpIv37
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

McCargo's play has not yet met expectations for a guy we traded back into the first round to obtain, but it's way too early to pass judgement on him.

bigbub2352
09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
the only thing i got to say is that Kyle, Larry, Tim and McCargo have all been pushed around in the running game, but have all excelled rushing the passer except McCargo and Anderson, i have seen enough from Tim to say he will be a career back up and maybe not much more than that ever, John and Kyle are rookies and should be pushed around they are very wet behind the ears, i am however concerned with Larry and Tim in the run game they both have been pushed around to much we will see because they all are still adjusting to a ne def sysytem

Saratoga Slim
09-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

McCargo's play has not yet met expectations for a guy we traded back into the first round to obtain, but it's way too early to pass judgement on him.

what he said. second game of the season is WAY too early for any kind of legitimate review. but you'd like to see the buzz around him that Whitner, McCargo, Simpson, Williams, and even Ellison seem to be generating. So far I haven't heard a peep, good or bad.

Goobylal
09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Take a look at the 1st round DT's picked over the years. There's a 50% bust rate. For every Seymour, there's a Jonathan Sullivan. And more than a few took at least a year to develop, much less early entrants. I agree that it's WAY too early to say that McCargo is a disappointment, and think that comparing him to Kyle Williams, who is an aberration (and a GREAT surprise!), is unfair.

Earthquake Enyart
09-20-2006, 01:37 PM
McCargo needs three years to be properly evaluated.

Whitner, however, is the real deal.

Night Train
09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
McCargo needs technique work. The natural ability is there. I saw in camp that he was quick off the snap and could get into the backfield.

He's the least of my worries.

DBam
09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
It took Bruce Smith over a year to brush off the bust lable!

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
If after year 2 McCargo hasnt done anything sure.

Its just an issue of we have a guy much lower picked out performing him. also with the performance of other picks to date, McCargo isn't even on the radar to be honest. I bring it up because we moved up to get him.

ScottLawrence
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Defensive tackle is the hardest position to come in to the NFL, and succeed right away at, besides maybe Quarterback.

Give him a couple years, if he hasn't done anything after that then maybe hes a bust.

Damn, its been two games.

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
To early to make an assement.

It's only been 2 games why are we so quick to call someone a bust? I wonder what would of happened had the bulls called jordan injury prone and wrote him off as a bust when he broke his ankle his rookie season or was it his second year? Anyway give the guy some time hell look at reed right now he is one of the better receivers on the team. Last year we all wanted him gone.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Whitner, however, is the real deal.

We will see in a couple years

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Defensive tackle is the hardest position to come in to the NFL, and succeed right away at, besides maybe Quarterback.

Give him a couple years, if he hasn't done anything after that then maybe hes a bust.

Damn, its been two games.

It is? damn I thought it was QB, LT, Center...I can go on.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
To early to make an assement.

It's only been 2 games why are we so quick to call someone a bust? I wonder what would of happened had the bulls called jordan injury prone and wrote him off as a bust when he broke his ankle his rookie season or was it his second year? Anyway give the guy some time hell look at reed right now he is one of the better receivers on the team. Last year we all wanted him gone.

show me where I said bust? What did do is bring up a legit question considering Marv traded into the first round to get the guy vs his production.

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
HEY ICE HOW BOUT THEM DUCKS :roflmao:

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
So far I really haven't seen much from him. Williams is having more of an impact. I know McCargo is the backup to tripplet, but still, I'm not seeing too much from him when he is in there.

Ok ICE your right you did not say the word bust.

Yet you said everything but bust. Your statement is saying basically this guy stinks so far.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:42 PM
HEY ICE HOW BOUT THEM DUCKS :roflmao: What does that have to do with this thread? Nothing. In fact it looks like a post intentionally put up to bait me into a TOS violation. I thought it was a TOS Violation to bait people. hummmm...

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
What does that have to do with this thread? Nothing. In fact it looks like a post intentionally put up to bait me into a TOS violation. I thought it was a TOS Violation to bait people. hummmm...

Oh stop crying. What has happened to this place? You can't even mess with a guy now. If you do people wanna cry TOS violation jeez man.

ICE74129
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok ICE your right you did not say the word bust.

Yet you said everything but bust. Your statement is saying basically this guy stinks so far.

Try reading comprehension. I asked a question if that guy will end up being our not so good pick? NFL History has MANY first round guys that ended up being backups/ role players. No one said bust. I don't feel the guys productivity so far has warranted a first round pick. Esp when we had to move back up to get him.

Whitner SO FAR has warranted the pick. Again read the posts and don't try to make it into something its not.

tat2dmike77
09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Well the draft always looks better when you look back at it 5 months later.

IMO every pick is a gamble there is no such thing as a sure thing. The bills felt McCargo was the best fit for thier defense and wanted him and made the moves. Yeah the guy is looking sub par but with playing time and experience and some bulking up he could be a good player.

PS stop taking this so personal

John Doe
09-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Maybe the position he plays has something to do with his production. So far after 2 games:

Kyle Williams: 4 tackles 3 assists
Tim Anderson: 3 tackles 1 assist
Larry Tripplette: 0 tackles 2 assists
John McCargo: 0 tackles 1 assist

It looked like Tripplett and McCargo were splitting plays at about a 60%/40% rate. McCargo looks like he is playing with a lot of effort. He has been blocked but he has also disrupted some plays.

TigerJ
09-20-2006, 04:32 PM

I couldn't possibly say that at this point in time. I recall a time when we all thought Ryan Denney was far worse than a "not so good pick." He had three sacks Sunday.

PromoTheRobot
09-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Really, are we getting a little spoiled here? One of our draft picks hasn't made all-pro yet? We already have one of the most immediately productive drafts of any NFL team. They can't all be pro bowlers out of the box. If McCargo ain't gettin'er done, he won't be playing long. But right now it's a little early to pin the "bust" tag on him.

PTR

mysticsoto
09-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Really, are we getting a little spoiled here? One of our draft picks hasn't made all-pro yet? We already have one of the most immediately productive drafts of any NFL team. They can't all be pro bowlers out of the box. If McCargo ain't gettin'er done, he won't be playing long. But right now it's a little early to pin the "bust" tag on him.

PTR

Very true! People want all our draft picks to be super stars instantly. We should be counting ourselves lucky that 3 of our picks (Dante, Ko and Kyle) have performed superbly. But that is not the norm. Let's praise them rather than condemn McCargo - atleast until he's gotten more of a chance. Neither Jason Peters nor McGee were without fault in their starts and look how they've come along...

Goobylal
09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
The answer ICE is: we don't know yet.

Dozerdog
09-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Come on people- this is Ice you are trying to debate with.

Akhippo
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I would say that with all the other picks doing well, another player at the same position picked lower starting, and the manner he was picked, you would expect more. Plus with the run defense not a strong suit, your looking for guys to step up.

I would say of any player, he has the most chips stacked against him.

Bottom line though, hes at least a disappointment.

Tatonka
09-21-2006, 03:03 AM
Try reading comprehension.

Again read the posts and don't try to make it into something its not.

those look like comments intended to bait someone...:oops:

Marvelous
09-21-2006, 03:33 AM
I don't agree with the ******ed, pre bust label. It's just that" ******ed" to even consider that after two games. lol But i am curious as to where he's been. I haven't seen him once! What's the scoop?

HHURRICANE
09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
He came out a year early and has played two NFL games.

Like Thurm, I do not have an opinion yet.

I have one. He was a way more costly pick than Whitner. Whitner at #8, #10 or #14 is no big deal as long as he can play. McCargo however is the equivalent of 2 picks as we had to give up an extra to get him. He's done squat so far which may not be bad but it's not good either.

Don't come out early if you can't play as a 1st rounder and don't draft him for the same reason.

ICE74129
09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Come on people- this is Ice you are trying to debate with.

There was no debate, just a question asked. And its a legit question considering 1) how well the rest of the draft class is performing vs McCargo and 2) the fact we traded back into the 1st round to get him.

ICE74129
09-21-2006, 08:43 AM
those look like comments intended to bait someone...:oops:

No just fact, he apperantly has issues with reading comprehension and calling him on his intentional bait. Just answer the question asked, don't try and make it something its not.

Dr. Lecter
09-21-2006, 08:45 AM
I have one. He was a way more costly pick than Whitner. Whitner at #8, #10 or #14 is no big deal as long as he can play. McCargo however is the equivalent of 2 picks as we had to give up an extra to get him. He's done squat so far which may not be bad but it's not good either.

Don't come out early if you can't play as a 1st rounder and don't draft him for the same reason.

It has been 2 games. 1st round picks sometimes do not contribute in the first two freakin' games. We can wait to evaluate. Especially since the best DT on the team is ahead of him.

Hell, sometimes 1st round picks do not contribute in their first YEAR. And yes, McCargo was worth two picks. But the two picks he was worth likely would not be doing much either.

Furthermore, as a DT he might never put up big numbers. So he will never be a headline grabber.

Finally, this scheme needs 4 DT's. He is one of the 4.

Any attempt to say "this pick sucks" is way premature. Pat Williams did not even play DT his rookie season. If McCargo is as productive as Pat was, I think we would all be happy.

ICE74129
09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
It has been 2 games. 1st round picks sometimes do not contribute in the first two freakin' games. We can wait to evaluate. Especially since the best DT on the team is ahead of him.

Hell, sometimes 1st round picks do not contribute in their first YEAR. And yes, McCargo was worth two picks. But the two picks he was worth likely would not be doing much either.

Furthermore, as a DT he might never put up big numbers. So he will never be a headline grabber.

Finally, this scheme needs 4 DT's. He is one of the 4.

Any attempt to say "this pick sucks" is way premature. Pat Williams did not even play DT his rookie season. If McCargo is as productive as Pat was, I think we would all be happy.

Doc you never did IM me back about what happened to that guy on the other board