PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Fire 17 Coaches Following Loss

Gunzlingr
09-20-2006, 04:58 PM
WASHINGTON, DC--Following a disheartening 27-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, the Washington Redskins fired 17 offensive coaches, trimming their staff by by almost a third. The remaining 37 will be given the responsibility of turning the 0-2 Skins around before they fall out of the NFC East race.
Head coach Joe Gibbs said he regretted the decision, but felt it was necessary to “shake things up.”
“It’s always tough to fire people, but sometimes a good shakeup is just what a team needs,” said Gibbs on Monday. “I will miss them, though, especially Jeff, one of our wide receiver coaches, and Tim…Johnson? Jackson? Jackson, our special assistant to the tight ends coach, and of course there’s that blonde-haired, older guy who was one of our offensive line coaches. He was good. I’ll miss you…guy. Anyway this is a tough, bottom-line business. The upside is that we cut $48 million from our payroll.”
Gibbs indicated that they would not hire replacements for the fired coaches and would instead make due with what they have for the remainder of the season.
“We’re going to be working with a skeleton crew from here on in,” he said. “There’s only 37 of us left here and everybody’s gonna have to step up and do a little extra. The person I feel most sorry for is Mark [Brunell]. We let go 6 of his quarterback coaches. He’s only got 3 left now, so he’s basically going to have to be self-reliant when it comes to analyzing his performance. I can help him a little, though: His performance last night sucked in every possible way.”
The 17 coaches were dumped unceremoniously on Monday morning with no warning and no opportunity to save their jobs. Many of the coaches were stunned at being let go in such a manner, especially the ones who were hired in the offseason.
“This is a stunner,” said Rick Savoy, assistant coach in charge of left tackles. “I walked in today and a security guard stopped me, took my pass, and handed me a box full of my stuff. I didn’t even get a chance to talk to anybody. Is this because of our performance yesterday? Well, whatever. Screw Joe Gibbs. Good luck running this team with only two left tackle coaches.”
The Redskins will still retain their core group of offensive coaches, which includes Al Saunders, associate head coach for offense; Joe Bugel, assistant head coach for the offense, Don Breaux, offensive coordinator; and Jack Burns, offensive assistant.
Saunders believes the recent firings might help streamline things a bit.

More (http://www.thebrushback.com/redskins_full.htm)

jmb1099
09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
WOW!

BAM
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
LOL By far my favorite website. Ever.

:chuckle:

mybills
09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
:rofl:

Meathead
09-20-2006, 06:43 PM
i believe it

Mad Bomber
09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
:lmao:

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
This belongs in the twilight zone. :down:

newbetterbucs05
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM
HA. That's funny

OpIv37
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
This belongs in the twilight zone. :down:
lighten up. Pissing in everyone's cheerios is my job.

ublinkwescore
09-20-2006, 11:49 PM
You both suck - so shut up.

Night Train
09-21-2006, 04:57 AM
The Brushback and Onion are a must read every week. They always have at least a couple things that make me LOL. :snicker:

Historian
09-21-2006, 05:12 AM
I keep telling ya...it's the curse of Greg Williams.

Worst coach to ever set foot on a football field.

PUCKER
09-22-2006, 02:13 AM
:lmao:

BillsFever21
09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I keep telling ya...it's the curse of Greg Williams.

Worst coach to ever set foot on a football field.

I know he didn't work out in Buffalo but don't be blinded by hate. His defenses have been good everywhere he's been. He's one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league.

Worst coach ever to step foot on the field? Gimmie a break.

BillsFever21
09-22-2006, 08:26 AM
People with a sense of humor will find this one funny. Some that hates any bad press about the Bills won't though.
http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/toppick_full.htm

BillsFever21
09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Here is another one.

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/price_full.htm

BillsFever21
09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
These guys must be obsessed with the Bills.
http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/billslooking_full.htm

Billsrock4life
09-22-2006, 02:20 PM
:rofl: