• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Grasp of control

Did anyone catch that part of nfl network with the vp of nfl officials? Grasp of control-This was the reason jp's "fumble" was not ruled a fumble according to nfl network. So it really wasn't a fumble because the defender had jp wrapped up and had control of him bringing him down. The rule is to protect the qb from ending up being the creamy middle of an oreo cookie>No pun.

It's a good thing about the rule, otherwise that play could have turned disasterous.
  • gil
    • Mar 2005

Re: Grasp of control

that rule is so subjective - I'm glad it worked out for us, but in the Monday night game, there were a few throws where Roethlisberger was almost completely wrapped up, on his way down and still made throws that were completed and they let them stand.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

And its all moot point, we would have recovered the fumble, peters was right there.

Comment

• Jeff1220
        H to the 12:20
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
        And its all moot point, we would have recovered the fumble, peters was right there.
        Exactly, there wasn't a Dolphin anywhere near the ball after it slipped away. I still don't understand what Saban was even trying to challenge. Had it been ruled a fumble, I suppose the spot would've changed a little, but that's it.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

There's a difference between JP and guys like Roethlisberger and Culpepper. JP isn't that big, QB-wise, whereas the other guys are huge. JP was in the grasp and a Dols player was bearing down and could have killed him. It was a good whistle.

And yes the Bills would have recoverd the fumble anyway, and at worst lost about 5 yards in field position (which wouldn't have made a difference with Moorman punting the way he was). But I hope I don't see JP try that move again, i.e. trying to get a pass off while going down.

Comment

• BAM
            • Sep 2003

That rule is stupid.

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Oh, right, I forgot like that fumble the bills were supposed to have after culpepper's first fumble. Even if peters could have fallen on it, the ball could have found a way to slip out. And i've seen it happen plenty of times when the lineman falls on it, and somehow that ball ends up popping out.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                Sab and TD are insignificant
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                That rule is stupid.
                I agree - I really wasn't worried about whether they let the play go or not since Peters was about to pounce on the ball - the ref blew the whistle and Peters stood up straight - still, I'd like to see Peters fall on that ball regardless of whether or not the whistle blew.
                www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                  I agree - I really wasn't worried about whether they let the play go or not since Peters was about to pounce on the ball - the ref blew the whistle and Peters stood up straight - still, I'd like to see Peters fall on that ball regardless of whether or not the whistle blew.
                  Perry Fewell stresses his D finishing plays - swarming to the ball, and trying like hell to get to the opponents endzone when they get a turnover - Fairchild needs to coach the same way.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

i like the rule but that should have been a fumble imo lucky break

and i thought it was grasp and control
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                    X