PDA

View Full Version : Fewell

justasportsfan
09-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Cool.

Just because the Buffalo Bills have improved from last year on third-down defense doesn't mean Perry Fewell is feeling comfortable about it.
"Up to this point we've done a decent job of it," the Bills' defensive coordinator said Wednesday. "But if you look at the coach's tape, we're a long way away."

Nice. We should never be satisfied until we win the sb. Enjoy the win for a day, and back to work the next day. Back to business

In the fourth quarter of the Pats game, the Bills stopped a third-and-7 situation when rookie safety Donte Whitner recognized a blown assignment before the snap and told rookie linebacker Keith Ellison to cover the tight end instead of blitzing, as he was supposed to do. Ellison covered the tight end - not great but well enough to force an incompletion in the end zone - and the Bills forced a field goal.

"He bailed us out on that one," Fewell said of Whitner.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060921/1064499.asp?tbd1064499.asp

:up:

Kerr
09-22-2006, 10:30 AM
That's why he was our 1st round pick.

bigbub2352
09-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Any question Mel Kiper Jr.,

justasportsfan
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Any question Mel Kiper Jr.,

"how's my hair look?"

hydro
09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Thats great to hear about a rookie. This guy could become a great one in the future.

ublinkwescore
09-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Thats great to hear about a rookie. This guy could become a great one in the future.

This guy's gonna make the sports media world say Ed who?

BAM
09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
How the heck do you pronounce his name?

I've heard a couple different, both "Fe-Well" and "Fuel"

Please advise.

gr8slayer
09-22-2006, 11:32 AM
How the heck do you pronounce his name?

I've heard a couple different, both "Fe-Well" and "Fuel"

Please advise.
Fuel

Patti120
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Not that Bowen would start now that he's back but the above seems to set it in stone that Whitner is our starter.

ICE74129
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
"who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway'?

TigerJ
09-22-2006, 04:47 PM
"who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway'?

An expert. . . on stiff hairspray.

DraftBoy
09-22-2006, 05:04 PM
He was less critical of the Whitner pick as much as he was of the McCargo pick. He actually was one of the few that said it wasnt a horrible pick.

patmoran2006
09-22-2006, 07:52 PM
This guy is gonna become head coach material, sooner than later

juice
09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
He seems to get the most out of the talent at each position, especially DE.. 7 sacks WoW.

If he can get the interior line to the same intensity level Sunday against the Penny and the Jets, his stock will shoot through the roof as a DC.

He's a rising star in the coaching ranks and may have just enough Raw talent and youth to turn the Bills Defense into one of the League's best.

ublinkwescore
09-23-2006, 01:40 AM
He seems to get the most out of the talent at each position, especially DE.. 7 sacks WoW.

If he can get the interior line to the same intensity level Sunday against the Penny and the Jets, his stock will shoot through the roof as a DC.

He's a rising star in the coaching ranks and may have just enough Raw talent and youth to turn the Bills Defense into one of the League's best.

Man, was it just me, or did we seem to get exponentially better between week 1 and week 2?

I can't wait to see the performance sunday.

LABillsFan
09-23-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm looking for the run D to step it up. Force Chad to throw and make them pay. Is that too much?

LifetimeBillsFan
09-23-2006, 04:32 AM
....If he can get the interior line to the same intensity level Sunday against the Penny and the Jets, his stock will shoot through the roof as a DC....

I'm looking for the run D to step it up. Force Chad to throw and make them pay. Is that too much?

Keys to the Bills winning the game, IMHO.

The Bills did a better job of shutting down the cutback lanes and limiting the length of the runs against Miami, but they have to do a better job of tackling at the point of initial contact in the running game, still. I'm looking to see continued improvement against the run from week-to-week until they get it down to where it is reasonable. Fortunately, the Jets have not done a great job of running the ball this year. But, that makes it even more important that they not let the Jets be effective with the run.

With Kendall and Teague unlikely to play the interior line is probably going to be going up against two rookies (yeah, one of them is Mangold, but he's still a rookie and isn't playing like an All-Pro yet) and a guy who is really just in his second year as a starter. The Bills' DTs need to beat those three guys and get into Pennington's grill consistently IMHO. If they don't, he knows what he's doing back there and is throwing the ball really well now, so that could be a problem for the Bills secondary. But, if they do, Pennington's not very mobile and the Bills D could have a field day.

Those are the two things that I am going to be looking for all day long when the Bills are on defense.