PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell

Nighthawk
09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
How terrible was this guy's coaching and playcalling today? Anybody who watched football knows that Pennington crumbles under pressure, but Fewell refused to blitz. I'm sorry, but that does not make me feel good about the future of this team. When are we going to get some coaches in here who actually make adjustments and don't just do the same things over and over and over. This guy should be ashamed after his coaching job today.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-24-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Fewell was trying to keep the LBs in coverage to keep Pennington from dinking and doinking all game. The Jets threw a ton of short passes and the LBs had a lot of pass breakups. So, the strategy worked in that regard, but I think that he should have mixed things up with the blitz more often.

The defensive play-calling could have been better, but the tackling should have been a lot better, too. There were way too many times when the ball-carrier/receiver got more than a yard or two after first contact and too many complete whiffs on tackles. While the Bills did a better job in this area than in the two previous games, they still gave up too much yardage because of this. The DC can be blamed for not being more aggressive with his calls, but he can't go out on the field and make the tackles--the team has to do that.

I'm not excusing Fewell, but I'm saying that the blame isn't entirely on him, it goes onto the players, too. There were plenty of reasons why the Bills lost this game IMHO and only some of them were Fewell's fault.

shelby
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
There's enough blame to go around.

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 04:10 PM
There's enough blame to go around. No now shelby don't you know that its all JP?

DraftBoy
09-24-2006, 04:34 PM
How terrible was this guy's coaching and playcalling today? Anybody who watched football knows that Pennington crumbles under pressure, but Fewell refused to blitz. I'm sorry, but that does not make me feel good about the future of this team. When are we going to get some coaches in here who actually make adjustments and don't just do the same things over and over and over. This guy should be ashamed after his coaching job today.

Thats not true. Last week against NE, Pennington about beat NE bc they tried to blitz him, and he picked them apart. His game style is better suited to a blitzing team. The D just couldnt tackle at all, or beat the OL. Plain and simple we got whipped on the defensive end of the ball, blame who you want, but I dont think it was the gameplan.

YardRat
09-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I have no problem with Fewell's gameplan, either. The one notable blitz we had in the first half ended up with Schobel not being able to drop into coverage quick enough to cover Washington and he took the screen inside the five.

If we would've blitzed more and still lost, Fewell would then be criticized for a faulty game plan also.

Slim
09-24-2006, 04:48 PM
they only had like 260-280 yards of total offense..

The Spaz
09-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Is there the same Fewell who has the Bills tied for 2-3 in sacks?

BillsFever21
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
The Jets only had 260 yards or so of offense but they only ran 53 plays. They averaged 5 yards a play.

In the first quarter they didn't have crap for offense. They had 10 plays for 14 yards. After they figured out or gameplan we didn't do very much.

The rest of the game they ran 43 plays and had 246 yards. That averages out to 5.7 yards a play the rest of the game. That isn't very good.

With the game on the line and down 8 points when we needed a stop the most the Jets started a drive with 9:14 left in the game. They held the ball for 5:54 and ran 9 plays for 58 yards and a TD. That was game.

Nighthawk
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
The Jets only had 260 yards or so of offense but they only ran 53 plays. They averaged 5 yards a play.

In the first quarter they didn't have crap for offense. They had 10 plays for 14 yards. After they figured out or gameplan we didn't do very much.

The rest of the game they ran 43 plays and had 246 yards. That averages out to 5.7 yards a play the rest of the game. That isn't very good.

With the game on the line and down 8 points when we needed a stop the most the Jets started a drive with 9:14 left in the game. They held the ball for 5:54 and ran 9 plays for 58 yards and a TD. That was game.

Thank you. And people trying to compare the Bills gameplan to last weeks NE gameplan against Pennington are way off base. For one thing, with the wind the way it was, he wasn't going to hurt you down the field. For another, Fewell's gameplan was not working...let me repeat that...it wasn't working! Why wouldn't you want your coaches to make changes when the gameplan they came into the game with isn't best route for success? I don't understand that thinking at all!

DraftBoy
09-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Thank you. And people trying to compare the Bills gameplan to last weeks NE gameplan against Pennington are way off base. For one thing, with the wind the way it was, he wasn't going to hurt you down the field. For another, Fewell's gameplan was not working...let me repeat that...it wasn't working! Why wouldn't you want your coaches to make changes when the gameplan they came into the game with isn't best route for success? I don't understand that thinking at all!

What I dont get is putting all the blame on the coaches and letting the players blatant lack of execution go free? The players were missing more tackles after the first quarter and couldnt cover to save their lives. What do you want Fewell to do? Tackle somebody from the sidelines? When do we stop blaming the coaches and the refs for every loss and start saying, our team just go beat?

juice
09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Too many crucial TurnOvers was the reason the Bills lost to the Jets not the defensive scheme.. if before the game you would have told me that the Bills would have 300 yds passing and 160 rushing while holding the Jets Offense to less than 300 total yds and still lose, I would tell you costly Turnovers would be the reason.

The Bills defense failed to force Turnovers, while the Jets were sucessful in capitolizing on the FF and Int.

The Bills ST were sub-par and we lost the field position battle.