PDA

View Full Version : JP's not ready to carry the team

LtBillsFan66
09-24-2006, 02:48 PM
He was very sloppy today. We need to go back to a conservative gameplan.

Nighthawk
09-24-2006, 02:50 PM
He's not ready yet, but I think the coaches helped out in making this an embarrasing day. They should be ashamed.

Mr. Cynical
09-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Nope. Time to get on the Brady Quinn wagon.

Novacane
09-24-2006, 02:51 PM
F Brady Quinn

AG75
09-24-2006, 02:52 PM
We always seem to be in transition with our QB's don't we? It's frustrating, and JP proved today that he is not even remotely close to being ready.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM

There's plenty of room. :bandwagon:

TacklingDummy
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM
We always seem to be in transition with our QB's don't we? It's frustrating, and JP proved today that he is not even remotely close to being ready.

3 years is enough.

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Sure he is, BLOCK! I don't care who you are, the RB and OL allows guys to come un touched and you are screwed.

Why is it this most simple concept can't be understood here?

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
3 years is enough. he hasn't had 3 years. Now if he STARTED 3 years, yeah I would then agree.

Again...go learn football then post

LtBillsFan66
09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
He had a lot of time today. He made some bad decisions.

ICE74129
There's plenty of room. :bandwagon: Quinn will suck as a pro.

LtBillsFan66
Delay of game. :down:

Philagape
09-24-2006, 03:13 PM

I guess Big Ben isn't ready either. 3 INTs, no TDs, loss at home

PcA125
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM

Brady Quinn? He has done NOTHING this year. Most overhyped player of the year IMO

Typ0
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I disagree. He's been coached to work within a system that helps him improve on his weaknesses by playing within those skills. It might look bad but in the long run this is absolutely the right approach to take with him.

Slim
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Brady Quinn? He has done NOTHING this year. Most overhyped player of the year IMO

Except throw 5 td's yesterday

X-Era
09-24-2006, 03:33 PM

Your right and our COACHING is to blame for that one, NOT JP.

No reason not to run the ball ALOT more instead of trying to throw the ball deep in 35 MPH winds. We gave JP way too many chances to make mistakes, maybe by years end we can do that and count on him but not yet, and with McGahee getting so many yards we never should have even tried.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
JP is not ready to carry the team. Few QBs who have just 10 career starts under their belt are--even Roethlisberger was not asked to carry his team when he was making the 11th start of his career.

JP made some bad decisions. He got too excited and let his footwork get fouled up again at the end of the game, too. So, yes, he made his share of mistakes in this game and bears part of the responsibility for the loss.

But, he was not the only one who bears that responsibility.

The offensive line let the Jets get far too much pressure on JP. A lot more than the Bills were able to get on Pennington. Willis totally whiffed on the blitz that resulted in the fumble that turned the game in the Jets' favor--Rhodes did the same thing to Brady last week causing a fumble, so you can't lay the blame on the QB there. And, there were too many plays when the WRs simply didn't get open for JP to throw to them.

The play-calling was curious. I know that the Bills coaches were trying to take advantage of the wind, but Willis was running so well that they probably should have gone more with the run and put less responsibility on JP, so that's on them. The fake FG with the wind was a dubious call (I have no problem with the bootleg, though--Hamilton made a great play there and give credit to the other guys when it is deserved). The defense could have mixed some more blitzes in to put more pressure on Pennington, especially in the second half.

The defense did a horrible job of tackling at times and the defensive line did not get pressure on Pennington. The special teams gave up a huge return to the Jets after the Bills closed to 21-13 that put the Jets in position to get the clinching score. It's a different game if the Jets don't get that score, so that's on the special teams and defense, which should have held them to a FG at best on that drive but missed too many tackles.

You don't ask or expect a QB with less than a full season as a starter to carry your team and JP is not at the point where he is ready to carry the Bills. He showed some really good things and some really bad things in this game--which is what inexperienced QBs do while they are developing. And that's not unusual--just ask Giants fans who saw this with E.Manning, Jags fans who saw it with Leftwich, Charger fans who are seeing it with Rivers, Bucs fans with Simms, and even Steeler fans who saw Roethlisberger lay an egg in the playoffs two years ago. You don't quit on a young QB because he can't carry his team this early on: you live with the ups-and-downs until the guy develops and can carry the team or stops developing entirely. JP had a bad game today in many respects, but he hasn't shown that he has stopped developing--he did a lot of good things today along with the bad as well. So, you chalk this one up to experience and look to see whether he learns from it and how he responds next week and the next time he is in a similar situation.

Luisito23
09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
JP's not ready to carry the team

I agree....Let's just hope the coaching staff has learned that as well....

GO BILLS!!!!

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 04:03 PM

GO BILLS!!!!

So you just pick out what you want in his post? Read the whole thing to see WHY. BTW you clearly missed the point he isn't expected to yet.

Philagape
09-24-2006, 04:17 PM

GO BILLS!!!!

Are you suggesting another QB should play? Only JP could have gotten us the second TD

Luisito23
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Are you suggesting another QB should play?

Definetly not.....I meant that I hope the coaching staff realized that he can't lead this team to victory....In order for us to win we need to run the ball as much as possible, not turn into a pass happy team because we just don't have the type of QB for that right now....

GO BILLS!!!!!

YardRat
09-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I think JP progressed a little bit today with the late TD drive. He couldn't have been a part of pulling that off last year. The drive after the onside kick was bad...as bad as anything last year.

It's a baby-step, but a step in the right direction. Maybe next time he pulls out the tie or win on the last drive of the game.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I think JP progressed a little bit today with the late TD drive. He couldn't have been a part of pulling that off last year. The drive after the onside kick was bad...as bad as anything last year.

It's a baby-step, but a step in the right direction. Maybe next time he pulls out the tie or win on the last drive of the game.

Good points! That's the next step IMHO and something that JP needs to do to ultimately show that he has taken that step towards becoming an NFL caliber starting QB and a player that the team can lean on in crunch time. When JP can do that, the Bills will know that they really have a QB that can take the team places. And, IMHO he needs to do it not just for the team, but for himself and his own future.

Akhippo
09-24-2006, 04:54 PM
I like what I saw of JP today in terms of progress. I would have still liked to see more slants and quicker passes to get JP in a groove instead of having him sit back and wait for the deep ball. They also didnt go after the deep ball off of play action either.

I think the defense though had a bad game plan. You dont give a dink and dunk QB a 10 yard cushion.

LABillsFan
09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
The blocks need to be sustained longer, JP needs to recognize pressure and the RB's need to help him out a little bit with the blocks. It will come in time.

BillsFever21
09-24-2006, 05:03 PM
328 yards today is pretty good. He made a mistake with the interception and one of the fumbles he could've avoided(first one)

The 2nd one was on the shoulders of Willis missing the block. Too bad about the couple TO's and not winning the game. JP has his best day passing in his career today.

X-Era
09-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Good points! That's the next step IMHO and something that JP needs to do to ultimately show that he has taken that step towards becoming an NFL caliber starting QB and a player that the team can lean on in crunch time. When JP can do that, the Bills will know that they really have a QB that can take the team places. And, IMHO he needs to do it not just for the team, but for himself and his own future.

The problem is timing. Your next step could take the rest of the year. I hope Im wrong.

TigerJ
09-24-2006, 07:19 PM
JP did a lot of good things today. The coaches need to continue "coaching him hard" to smooth out the bumps, but over 300 yards passing shows he's got the ability. I'm glad the Bills opened up the offence today. I don't see any reason to think that JP isn't an NFL caliber QB right now, though I certainly want to see him get better. I don't know of an NFL QB who hasn't had a game where they had an interception and a couple fumbles.

Michael82
09-24-2006, 07:25 PM
He had a lot of time today. He made some bad decisions.
a lot of time?!?! :lmao:

And yeah he did make some bad decisions, but he also made some good decisions. If we didn't recover the onside kick, JP actually had a very good game.

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
All I want is a damn OL worth a crap and better tackling. Fix those two things and we are 3-0

Michael82
09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
All I want is a damn OL worth a crap and better tackling. Fix those two things and we are 3-0
:bf1:

ICE74129
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
:bf1:What gets me mikey is we had guys in their backfield but wouldnt' tackle them.

Mr. Cynical
09-25-2006, 01:42 AM

I would agree with this sarcasm...but...then again JP hasn't been in the hospital twice in the last 3 months to have an appendectomy and some facial reconstruction, and missing games and practices during that time. I think Ben has a little more wiggle room to drop a clunker....jmo.

Inetpub
09-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Philagape

Theres a bit of a difference there. Bens already won a SB ring. Can we say the same about JP? lol. Ben had a bad day. But hes got a ring at the end of the day so really hes the last one laughing.

ddaryl
09-25-2006, 03:02 AM

I disagree. We need him to have this baptism by fire. He looked sharp for most of the day IMO, and has to learn from his mistakes.

JP is our QB for the long haul. I'm willing to put up with his growing pains all season if he continues to improve and learn. I have a lot more confidence in JP after 3 games this season because you can easily see that he is getting better.

Not to mention the guy says al lthe right things, and genuienly seems to like Buffalo. how can you not give this kid a handful of mulligans while the team aruond him is being rebuilt.

JP made some great throws in big wind today. He's not perfect but I can't be upset at all about JP.

Night Train
09-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Being at the game unlike many TV experts, I could actually see down the field.

Mangini ran the Patriots D gameplan to the letter. More than 90 % of the time, our WR's were not getting open AT ALL. That thought was spoken out loud by everyone sitting around me. Very dissapointed in our WR's inability to get open and not come back to the ball, when seeing JP was in trouble.

The result was JP having to progress through too many reads and running out of time. A couple costly turnovers and many throw aways were the result. Hats off to the Jets for a great D gameplan.

A shame that Fairchild decided to throw some Mularkey plays into the gameplan. That JP bootleg at the goal line was terrible. The biggest mistake was not pounding the ball the entire 3rd quarter, down 14-10. The Jets couldn't stop the running game and it would have kept the mistakes to a minimum.

Live and learn.

ICE74129
09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Theres a bit of a difference there. Bens already won a SB ring. Can we say the same about JP? lol. Ben had a bad day. But hes got a ring at the end of the day so really hes the last one laughing. Did you see him? He isn't laughing and neither are the steelers nor their fans.

Philagape
09-25-2006, 08:02 AM
I would agree with this sarcasm...but...then again JP hasn't been in the hospital twice in the last 3 months to have an appendectomy and some facial reconstruction, and missing games and practices during that time. I think Ben has a little more wiggle room to drop a clunker....jmo.

I don't think that's a good excuse. Ben's been a starter for two full years and already had a game to shake the rust off.

And those who say he's won a Super Bowl, etc., are missing the point. The point is, every QB will have bad games (what's Eli's excuse?). Sunday was JP's first bad game of the season, and he played well for most of it. This season, he's made a lot more good decisions than bad ones, has shown he can move the ball, is still a threat to score at anytime, and has shown improved accuracy. Of course there's room for improvement, and he still needs protection, like most QBs. He still hasn't been a starter for a full season's worth. We knew mistakes would come.

LtBillsFan66
09-25-2006, 09:30 AM
a lot of time?!?! :lmao:

And yeah he did make some bad decisions, but he also made some good decisions. If we didn't recover the onside kick, JP actually had a very good game.
Every QB gets pressure. He had time most of the time.

the REAL Rudeman
09-25-2006, 09:35 AM
JP perpetuates our tradition of useless QBs.

ICE74129
09-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Every QB gets pressure. He had time most of the time. My butt. Not even close, try again.

Michael82
09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Every QB gets pressure. He had time most of the time.
:rofl:

LtBillsFan66
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
:rofl:
I don't know what you're laughing at.

THATHURMANATOR
09-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I disagree. We need him to have this baptism by fire. He looked sharp for most of the day IMO, and has to learn from his mistakes.

JP is our QB for the long haul. I'm willing to put up with his growing pains all season if he continues to improve and learn. I have a lot more confidence in JP after 3 games this season because you can easily see that he is getting better.

Not to mention the guy says al lthe right things, and genuienly seems to like Buffalo. how can you not give this kid a handful of mulligans while the team aruond him is being rebuilt.

JP made some great throws in big wind today. He's not perfect but I can't be upset at all about JP.
I agree 100%

LtBillsFan66
09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not too upset. He's just not ready to carry a team like the greats.

ScottLawrence
09-25-2006, 12:41 PM

You sound like all the Bledsoe fans in 2004.

McGahee runs for 150, Losman throws for 300, and our OL is worth a crap?

Give me a break, and just admit we lost because Losman turned the ball over 3 times.

Hes young, the coaching staff opened up the offense for him this week, and he wasn't ready to carry the team on his back, as when we were down, he started forcing throws, and making bad decisions.

Mr. Cynical
09-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Although there is still time, I am really starting beginning to feel this way. I'm not talking about his numbers or stats...as others have said everyone makes mistakes. It was his lack of "it" that still haunts me. Shades of RJ are creeping into my mind. :(

doug45
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
3 years is enough.
:clap:

the REAL Rudeman
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Axe the ****. He sucks.

X-Era
09-25-2006, 05:03 PM
spoken by someone who apparently knows ALL about uselessness

The_Philster
09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Theres a bit of a difference there. Bens already won a SB ring. Can we say the same about JP? lol. Ben had a bad day. But hes got a ring at the end of the day so really hes the last one laughing.
Big Ben's been surrounded by a great team since his first snap too...but don't let the facts confuse you

patmoran2006
09-25-2006, 07:20 PM
he threw FIVE touchdown passes Saturday night on the road against a 3-0 team and led his team to coming back from 16 points in the fourth quarter.

That's nothing?

YardRat
09-25-2006, 08:24 PM
FYI...JP's split stats..

First and fourth quarter..14 comps 20 atts 257 yds 1 TD
Second and third quarter...8 comps 18 atts 71 yds 1 INT