• Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition

Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition

STEVE LYTTLE
    slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms was taken by ambulance to a Tampa hospital Sunday afternoon and is listed in critical condition, according to reports by several news sources.
    There is no indication as to the cause of Simms' medical problems.
    He was hospitalized a short time after the Buccaneers' last-minute 26-24 NFL loss to the Carolina Panthers.
    Simms appeared to experience medical problems during the game. He was hit hard several times by Panthers defensive players and was taken out of the game in the third quarter. Announcers said Simms had suffered from dehydration in the 90-degree-plus heat and high humidity in Tampa.
    But Simms, a former University of Texas quarterback whose father, Phil, also played in the NFL, returned to the game this afternoon and led Tampa Bay on a fourth-quarter scoring drive. Observers reported that he left the field on his own power after the game.
    Simms was not available for interviews after the game, as he was being attended by trainers and doctors.
    At his postgame press conference, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Simms: "He got hit early and he hurt his ribs. We don't know the extent of that, but he played hard today. He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him.
    "He is hurting right now, there is no question. He left the game. I don't know that it was because of his ribs, dehydration or both. He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good run defense.''
    Simms, 6-4 and 220 pounds, is in his fourth season with Tampa Bay.
    He was a standout at Ramapo (N.J.) High School and was named USA Today's National Offensive Player of the Year in 1998. He played four years at the University of Texas, although he never really earned the full-time starting job. Amid criticism from fans, Simms shared playing time with Major Applewhite.
    He was a third-round draft choice in 2003 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Simms played a key role last season in the Buccaneers' run to the NFC South Division championship. He completed 61 percent of his passes for 2,035 yards, with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
  • evol4276
    • Oct 2005

Re: Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition

dear god i hope the kid's alright

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
      • Mar 2004

7:15 pm | Tampa QB Simms in critical condition

STEVE LYTTLE
      slyttle@charlotteobserver.com

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms was taken by ambulance to a Tampa hospital Sunday afternoon and is listed in critical condition, according to reports by several news sources.

There is no indication as to the cause of Simms' medical problems.

He was hospitalized a short time after the Buccaneers' last-minute 26-24 NFL loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Simms appeared to experience medical problems during the game. He was hit hard several times by Panthers defensive players and was taken out of the game in the third quarter. Announcers said Simms had suffered from dehydration in the 90-degree-plus heat and high humidity in Tampa.

But Simms, a former Texas University quarterback whose father, Phil, also played in the NFL, returned to the game this afternoon and led Tampa Bay on a fourth-quarter scoring drive. Observers reported that he left the field on his own power after the game.

Simms was not available for interviews after the game, as he was being attended by trainers and doctors.

At his postgame press conference, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Simms: "He got hit early and he hurt his ribs. We don't know the extent of that, but he played hard today. He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him.

"He is hurting right now, there is no question. He left the game. I don't know that it was because of his ribs, dehydration or both. He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good run defense.''

Pat Yasinkas, an Observer writer covering today's Panthers-Tampa Bay game, said he was told this evening that Simms' family had been called to St. Joseph's Hospital, where the stricken player had been taken.

Comment

• Risin
        • Aug 2004

I'll pray for him and his family.

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

Wow, I really hope he is alright.

D & S Sports

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Here's to him being OK and recovering soon
            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Chris Simms

In critical Condition. Wow, what happened?

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                  • Mar 2004

Peter King on the pregame said that the owner of the Bucs just told him he's NOT in critical condition but won't give any details.....

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Re: Chris Simms

Opps didnt see thread, merge please or delete.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Hope he's okay.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

I was flipping to the Panthers Bucs game during commercials of the Bills game. Simms looked out of it when he went out of the game. He went down to one knee for a little while. Did not see the play that preceded that. He got up on his own power. About 10 minutes later he came jogging back onto the field, warmed up on the sidelines and then re-entered the game like nothing happened.

Comment

• shelby
                          The Vanilla *****
                          • Jul 2002

Comment

• MTBillsFan
                            • May 2003

Hopefully he'll get well soon.
                            Send me some wings!

Comment