PDA

View Full Version : DT just doesnt add up...

bigbub2352
09-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Larry Tripplett has done nothing to warrent the contract he got form us, he has maybe 3 tackles on the year and maybe a 1/2 sack he has been consistently awful in the run game i watched him for three straight games get thrown around in run play as well has offer very little in pass rush, most of that has come from the ends and blitzs

John McCargo has bee down right awful as well he has done nothing but get moved out of the way

Tim Anderson has one tackle in three games and was pushed around horribly by a rookie center

Kyle Williams hasnt done anything since the first preseason game that everyone touted him a steal

Now mind u i am willing to give the benfit of the doubt for Kyle an John afterall they are rookies and can improve, but Larry and Timmy are just awful now i know why Indy let him go he is useless against the run and Tim never should have made the roster he are in serious trouble here and maybe we need to get some bulk in here for obvious running situations, the Cover 2 scheme is just awful against the run, in order for us to go to the playoffs we need FA and draft picks spent on the Oline and Dline otherwise we are going nowhere

THATHURMANATOR
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Its not like the Jets had many rushing yards against us yesterday.

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Triplet has played well. It is very diffcult to evaluate DT's based on numbers. He has helped collapse the pocket up the middle.

It is also only 3 games into the season with a new defensive scheme.

DraftBoy
09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I think Tirplett has played very well, Ive only seen the Miami game but his name was called countless times and he was all over the field, forcing plays to go where they werent designed to go.

bigbub2352
So the 183 yards against NE, plus the three QB sneaks that have gone for 1st downs, then giving up 73 yards in the first half against Miami a game we would have lost if MM didnt pull his magic act and give the ball to Ronnie Brown 2 times in the second half, then two rushing touchdowns bye Kevan Barlow, and Cedric Houston the game winner bye the way is a good day, oh yeah and Chad Pennington the most mobile QB in the league getting like 6 yards on a 4th and 1 to ice the game, all adds up to them playing well WOW

TedMock
DO NOT look at stats when measuring DT's. Tripplett only had one tackle against the Dolphins last week, yet he played an outstanding game. He provided pressure all day causing Culpepper to make some bad decisions, and giving guys like Ryan Denney and opportunity to make plays.

ICE74129
09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
So the 183 yards against NE, plus the three QB sneaks that have gone for 1st downs, then giving up 73 yards in the first half against Miami a game we would have lost if MM didnt pull his magic act and give the ball to Ronnie Brown 2 times in the second half, then two rushing touchdowns bye Kevan Barlow, and Cedric Houston the game winner bye the way is a good day, oh yeah and Chad Pennington the most mobile QB in the league getting like 6 yards on a 4th and 1 to ice the game, all adds up to them playing well WOW

The real problem is with the LB's. We aren't filling the B or C Gaps. He tried to put them in coverage and it bit us by having no one to fill on running downs and no pass rush on Passing downs.

bigbub2352
09-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I am not looking at stats i am watching our DTs getting pushed off the ball and getting run on at will he have to stop the run and pass on defense not one or the other

blackonyx89
09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Exactumudo!!!! This D-Line is ok but mediocre at best!

feelthepain
09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Larry Tripplett has done nothing to warrent the contract he got form us, he has maybe 3 tackles on the year and maybe a 1/2 sack he has been consistently awful in the run game i watched him for three straight games get thrown around in run play as well has offer very little in pass rush, most of that has come from the ends and blitzs

John McCargo has bee down right awful as well he has done nothing but get moved out of the way

Tim Anderson has one tackle in three games and was pushed around horribly by a rookie center

Kyle Williams hasnt done anything since the first preseason game that everyone touted him a steal

Now mind u i am willing to give the benfit of the doubt for Kyle an John afterall they are rookies and can improve, but Larry and Timmy are just awful now i know why Indy let him go he is useless against the run and Tim never should have made the roster he are in serious trouble here and maybe we need to get some bulk in here for obvious running situations, the Cover 2 scheme is just awful against the run, in order for us to go to the playoffs we need FA and draft picks spent on the Oline and Dline otherwise we are going nowhere

It's not their fault, it's the coaching!! Don't shoot me, I'm just following the theme of the day.

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
That's the trouble with a small but quick DL. They have their advantages but are also subject to getting pushed around by any smashmouth power running team. I was worried about that.

bigbub2352
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree but we need to improve the personel to run the D we got, Tim and Larry do not cut it here, guys like Tommie Harris, and Warren Sapp or Chris Hovan in there prime could hold up against the run these guys i am sorry to say cant, and in McCargo and Williams cant yet

Saratoga Slim
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
We knew going in to this season that DT was not going to be a position of strength. Triplett, two rooks, and Tim Anderson is a recipe for a shaky interior. Hopefully the rookies improve quick. If not, that's an area you can bet will get a ton of attention this offseason.

bigbub2352
09-25-2006, 01:02 PM
it will get alot of attention regardless, tim anderson needs to go he is awful , and larry is getting everydown $$ he needs to step up a little bit

BillsFever21
09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I think Tirplett has played very well, Ive only seen the Miami game but his name was called countless times and he was all over the field, forcing plays to go where they werent designed to go.

So you've seen one game but you know Triplett has been very well? He has been average at best. He hasn't done much outside of a decent Miami game.

McCargo has just been worthless. He will never be an impact player. He was coasting along having Mario Williams and Manny Lawson in college to help improve his play. Unless there are studs around him he won't make much of an impact.

When we moved up in the draft we should've taken Mangold. We could've had the best Center instead of the 3rd DT chosen and one who was slightly better then the next rated DT. We missed the boat.

OpIv37
09-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Its not like the Jets had many rushing yards against us yesterday.

they got ZERO pressure on Pennington and the D relies on pressure from the front 4- that's why they had so much success against Miami.

Also: Kevin Barlow and Leon Washington. It's not exactly the greatest running back tandem in the league.

patmoran2006
09-25-2006, 07:18 PM
So you've seen one game but you know Triplett has been very well? He has been average at best. He hasn't done much outside of a decent Miami game.

McCargo has just been worthless. He will never be an impact player. He was coasting along having Mario Williams and Manny Lawson in college to help improve his play. Unless there are studs around him he won't make much of an impact.

When we moved up in the draft we should've taken Mangold. We could've had the best Center instead of the 3rd DT chosen and one who was slightly better then the next rated DT. We missed the boat.

I think you're right, though I dont think McCargo is worthless. I think he's going to be a decent player, but I do agree he looked alot better when Lawson and Mario Williams were around him. McCargo is a rotational DT, he'll be one as a rookie and likely in his third and fourth years... Now while I love to death Marv's draft this year, this was the ONE (and ONLY) mistake they made on draft day--and that's not to say McCargo is or will be a bum.

But I do agree, the "talent gap" between McCargo and the next crop of DT's after him was minimal, and wasn't worth moving into the first round for. You can argue that Kyle Williams already is and will be a better pro, and we got him in round five.

I do also wish the Bils would've taken Mangold with that pick.. IT doesnt take an expert to already see this guy has pro bowls written all over him... It's a little surprising because Marv said many times a good center is the second most important position on the field after the Quarterback...

Again, I dont hate McCargo as much as some do around here, its stupid to judge someone on three games, but I do not like what I'm seeing with him at all. At times he's flat out gotten blown off the ball.

IN Marv's defense, I really think he plans now as he did in April on making the OL his TOP priority next offseason.. So even though I dont agree with you calling McCargo worthless, clearly I think if we had a Mulligan, Mangold would be wearing a bills jersey.

Statman
09-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Maybe Timmy got some bad instruction from Stevie and Dicky.

Hang in there, we can always raid next season's waiver wire for linemen.

bigbub2352
09-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I guess the truth hurts, i am the biggest optimist out there and i luv the bills but to see this post groaned at because it speaks the truth is truly a shame, i lost res pect for some on this board