PDA

View Full Version : I think JP needs to quit trying to be a QB all of the time

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
He needs to start pulling down the ball and running with it when the opportunities are there. I'm not saying he has to get happyfeet and run everytime, but yesterday I saw a few times where he could have made a first down if he ran. Instead he tried to be too much of a QB and ended up with an incompletion. He needs to start putting the pressure on defenses by making them aware of his running abilities. It could really open things up and slow down thr rush a little.

The_Philster
09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Mikey said he heard on the pregame that the coaches are responsible for that. They'rev trying to discourage him from running as much as he can so he'll learn to go through his reads first. That method has its positives and negatives, IMO. Yeah, he'll learn to not be a run-first QB like Vick or Flutie, but I hope he doesn't forget how much mobility he does have.

justasportsfan
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
I still have a problem with his underthrows. He should be hitting them right on the nos. and in stride. It gives his wr's a chance to avoid a tackle and gain more yds (parrish's TD). They can't do squat when their back is facing the D trying to catch an underthrown ball.

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Did you see those two high tosses to Willis on that last drive...that was ***** brutal.:drool:

BillsFever21
09-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Last year he would've ran under them circumstances. He has a lot of speed and mobility. You can't take that out of his game when the chances are there.

G. Host
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Did you see those two high tosses to Willis on that last drive...that was ***** brutal.:drool:

If he was another #7 Bills QB fans would be saying he was trying to set up his RB to be hurt.

Risin
09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
If he was another #7 Bills QB fans would be saying he was trying to set up his RB to be hurt.

Yeah, cuz a pass in perfect conditions in a dome, is equal to 30 mph winds in a downpour.

My god, some people.

The_Philster
09-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, cuz a pass in perfect conditions in a dome, is equal to 30 mph winds in a downpour.

My god, some people.
Good point...and JP was throwing into the wind besides

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 06:45 PM

My god, some people.
It was a freakin short dumpoff pass, ill-advised I might add, and he did it two times in a row.

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Good point...and JP was throwing into the wind besides
He better get used to it and alot better at it if he wants to succeed in Buffalo as a QB.

Risin
09-25-2006, 06:53 PM
It was a freakin short dumpoff pass and he did it two times in a row.

Ever throw a soaked ball?

Ever throw a soaked ball when the wind is gusting at almost 40 mph?

Ever do either of these in an NFL game?

I will trust JP did everything in his power to complete the pass, and certain factors caused it to not happen.

If it happened once, I'd believe it was a bad pass. Twice, and I think the elements affected it, and he never should have thrown the second.

On top of that, Willis timed his jump brutally and made it look worse then it was. If he keeps running towards the sideline, the ball drops into his arms and he can make a play with it.

It's easy to talk about this stuff while you're eating chips, and sucking down beverages while sitting on your butt.

Go out someday and try to throw a dumpoff in the wind, and let me know if the ball lands where you thought it would.

Putting up 300+ yards in them conditions, was nothing short of impressive.

It's the turnovers I have a problem with.

X-Era
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
He needs to start pulling down the ball and running with it when the opportunities are there. I'm not saying he has to get happyfeet and run everytime, but yesterday I saw a few times where he could have made a first down if he ran. Instead he tried to be too much of a QB and ended up with an incompletion. He needs to start putting the pressure on defenses by making them aware of his running abilities. It could really open things up and slow down thr rush a little.

I wont justify the INT pass.

A NFL starting caliper QB should go against the playcalling if necessary and not throw a long ball INTO the 35+ MPH wind when we could have checked down or thrown it away.

We will never know if the blame falls on the coaches or JP, all I know is that ball should NOT have been thrown and JP threw it.

My point is it doesnt matter. Like Risin says, it wasnt like he "lofted" that duck under a dome.

The_Philster
09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
The interception happened in the 3rd.....WITH the wind

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Ever throw a soaked ball?

Ever throw a soaked ball when the wind is gusting at almost 40 mph?

Ever do either of these in an NFL game?

I will trust JP did everything in his power to complete the pass, and certain factors caused it to not happen.

If it happened once, I'd believe it was a bad pass. Twice, and I think the elements affected it, and he never should have thrown the second.

On top of that, Willis timed his jump brutally and made it look worse then it was. If he keeps running towards the sideline, the ball drops into his arms and he can make a play with it.

It's easy to talk about this stuff while you're eating chips, and sucking down beverages while sitting on your butt.

Go out someday and try to throw a dumpoff in the wind, and let me know if the ball lands where you thought it would.

Putting up 300+ yards in them conditions, was nothing short of impressive.

It's the turnovers I have a problem with.

Dude, I was at the game...you talk like it was the "Blizzard of 77" and the pass was 50 yards down the field??? It went for minus-3 yards, how the hell far could the throw have been?? I saw the whole thing develop right in front of me. Willis didn't mistime it that bad. JP was all jacked up and winged out of there too hard and fast...not once, but twice. The first time shame on the wind, the second time shame on JP...you make the adjustment. That's what he gets paid for. If he can't make those throws in Buffalo then he better find a dome to play under. Go take a Midol. Think I'll go have some more chips, suck done some more beverages and sit on my butt some more.:boozer: :crazy::moon:

Risin
09-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Dude, I was at the game...you talk like it was the "Blizzard of 77" and the pass was 50 yards down the field??? It went for minus-3 yards, how the hell far could the throw have been?? I saw the whole thing develop right in front of me. Willis didn't mistime it that bad. JP was all jacked up and winged out of there too hard and fast...not once, but twice. The first time shame on the wind, the second time shame on JP...you make the adjustment. That's what he gets paid for. If he can't make those throws in Buffalo then he better find a dome to play under. Go take a Midol. Think I'll go have some more chips, suck done some more beverages and sit on my butt some more.:boozer: :crazy::moon:

I've played QB in them winds, I don't care if you were at the game or not, you have no idea until you try.

You say Willis didn't mistime his jump, now I know how well your eyes work.

:funny:

Mad Bomber
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Mikey said he heard on the pregame that the coaches are responsible for that. They'rev trying to discourage him from running as much as he can so he'll learn to go through his reads first. That method has its positives and negatives, IMO. Yeah, he'll learn to not be a run-first QB like Vick or Flutie, but I hope he doesn't forget how much mobility he does have.

You are RIGHT ON, Phil...

Last year, JP would abandon his reads and just start running. The coaches have been trying to tell him to "be more patient and look thru his progressions. Don't tuck it in and run. If you get into trouble, just throw it away."

Well...there were several times yesterday when he was flushed from the pocket and started running. Even though he could have made some positive yardage by running, he did the "right thing" that the coaches told him to do, and threw the ball away, even though he could have made some positive yardage with his legs.

He finally did it, and scored a TD in the 4th.

My take on this is that JP is trying his best to listen to his coaching...he is still learning. He is definitely coachable, and is still very young. He has the tools to be a really great NFL QB, but needs to mature and figure out when he can use his legs to his advantage.

Overall, I'm very happy that we have him as our QB.

YardRat
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I've played QB in them winds, I don't care if you were at the game or not, you have no idea until you try.

I always wondered whatever became of Dan Manucci...Welcome back to Buffalo, dude :D

RockStar36
09-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I think there has to be a happy medium here. Last year he was to quick to tuck the ball and take off, this year he waits to long before making that decision.

I don't want to see him run it often but sometimes it would be better to take off, for instance on the very last offensive play of the game for the Bills.

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 09:03 PM

Well, I wish your flag football team the best.:up: Big deal, I've thrown footballs in the wind many times, its not some great mystery. I don't have a cannon for an arm like JP and I'm sure you don' either but to him it shouldn't be as mission impossible as you're making it out to be either.:rolleyes: And his throw was a hell of a lot more off than than Willis's jump...believe that. If he gets it down so Willis doesn't have to jump, he goes for 15 yards and out of bounds instead of minus-3. Like I said...he better get used to the weather. Go ahead and make all of the excuses you want for him.

Marvelous
09-25-2006, 09:06 PM
This is my biggest beef with JP... Why have a QB with wheels and not let him play his game.. It will keep the D nervous. I say we take advantage of last weeks success with his wheels and let him dip out. I dont believe that the coaches are holding him back either.. What are the odds that Mularkeys staff also had him on a leash too? I think JP is nervous about running.. He has awesome speed but no jukes or moves whatsoever.. Maybe he or the staff knows that...

The_Philster
09-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I dont believe that the coaches are holding him back either..so the coaches are lying? :huh:

bills_7
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM

Coaching is what well wreck JP's career... its a shame

but...

i think everyone has learned big leason's frm the last 3 wks...

we learn this year... playoffs next yr is how i look at it

Turf
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I think the bottom line here with JP is, is if he were any good at decision making on his own the coaching staff wouldn't have to be so controlling with his actions. If he had more natural QB skills they could be working on more complex game planning instead of when to scramble out of the pocket.
JP has no feel for the pass rush, that's why he has fumbled and gotten sacked for huge losses often.
JP in my book is not the QB of the future. It's time to look elsewhere. He's mediocre at best. I'll give him the rest of the year to prove me wrong, but I am willing to bet he doesn't get any better than what we saw yesterday. I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see the kid succeed.

Risin
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I always wondered whatever became of Dan Manucci...Welcome back to Buffalo, dude :D

hehe.

:D

Risin
09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Well, I wish your flag football team the best.:up: Big deal, I've thrown footballs in the wind many times, its not some great mystery. I don't have a cannon for an arm like JP and I'm sure you don' either but to him it shouldn't be as mission impossible as you're making it out to be either.:rolleyes: And his throw was a hell of a lot more off than than Willis's jump...believe that. If he gets it down so Willis doesn't have to jump, he goes for 15 yards and out of bounds instead of minus-3. Like I said...he better get used to the weather. Go ahead and make all of the excuses you want for him.

I'm not gonna get into where I played QB, it's not important. (It was a lot more competitive then flag football)

I'm not gonna make anymore excuses, believe what you want.

P.S. - If I had JP's arm, I wouldn't be working 9-5.

RockStar36
09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I think some things need to be realized.

JP is a young QB who will have bad games. He will learn from it as he gains from experience. Hell, even good veteran QB's still have bad games.

I don't like how every little move JP makes gets over analyzed. People *****ed when he didn't turn the ball over, won the game, and only threw for 83 yards.

It goes to show you that his stats are really secondary to the rest of the game. Some people need to really just chill.

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm not gonna get into where I played QB, it's not important. (It was a lot more competitive then flag football)

I'm not gonna make anymore excuses, believe what you want.

P.S. - If I had JP's arm, I wouldn't be working 9-5.
Excellent, have a nice day.:up:

Risin
09-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Excellent, have a nice day.:up:

You too.

;)

mchurchfie
09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
You too.

;)
:shake: