PDA

View Full Version : You Never Abandon The Run When It's Working. NEVER !

Night Train
09-26-2006, 04:53 AM
14-10 at the start of the 3rd quarter. Extremely windy conditions. The only passes being completed are the quick outs and short slants, which Chad P. is doing well at. By the way, the Jets CANNOT run the ball.

So what should the Coaches be doing ? Running Willis until he drops and not putting JP into position to complete longer throws downfield or coughing up the ball on blindside hits. Plus it runs clock and keeps the Jets Offense off the field. We mocked Mularkey for not giving Ronnie Brown the ball more the previous week. How was this any different ?

Fairchild needs to realize he's not running an offense inside a dome anymore. Adverse weather conditions in the Ralph are a given on many a day.

The coaches spent the first 2 weeks playing it close to the vest. The result was a near upset at NE and a win at Miami.

Did they believe they could actually open things up in bad weather at home ? Not a smart gameplan at all.

It's up to the Coaches to play to the strengths of the roster and put your players in the proper position to win.

I give the Coaches a grade of D in this game for losing focus on what helped them succeed in the first 2 games. A young team with no margin for error should not be running the plays they were given.

Willis should have recorded another 12 carries, minimum. This coming week, in hopefully better weather conditions, that might set up a few play action opportunities downfield but NEVER abandon the run if it's working. No excuse.

This one falls on the Coaches.

NYJets51
09-26-2006, 05:13 AM
Good post. The Bills just got outcoached in the final three quarters. They jumped off to a great start -- on offense and defense. The Jets found out how to move the ball through the air while dealing with the wind and Penningtons weak arm. Props to the Jets OC "lil Schot" for his gameplan in the second half.

I don't understand why the Bills went away from the run in the second half. I understand that they were down, but there is plenty of time left to re-establish the run game. It seemed like they had no confidence in their defense to keep them in it.

The Bills players did not lose this game -- they were outcoached.

YardRat
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
There's plenty of blame to go around for everybody, not just the coacing staff.

Buffalo started out the game throwing on five of the first six plays, and nobody was questioning the coaches at that point. I will admit they probably should have mixed the run in with the pass a little more in the third quarter, though. Five rushing attempts out of 16 plays just didn't work.

NYJets51
09-26-2006, 05:45 AM
There is def. blame to go around. They did what was un-expected and came out throwing. It worked well at first but the Jets adjusted. Your running game couldn't be stopped in the first half -- there is no excuse to abandon the run when you have over 100 yards in a half.

Also, how can you call a fake fieldgoal then toss the ball to your tackle? Terrbile call.

ICE74129
09-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Really? So when they load the box and willis average drops from 5-6 yards per carry to 2 and we are punting every down, you don't go away from the run?

did it ever occur to you willis was able to run because we used the PASS to set it up? You all were told all offseason that is how it would be. That is fairchilds offense.

NYJets51
09-26-2006, 05:54 AM
No, you don't go away from the run. You mix pass and run in together. Is Losman that bad that he cant audible out when he can see 8 guys in the box? You could have Lee Evans in one on one coverage with one of our in-experienced CB's.

Night Train
09-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Good post. The Bills just got outcoached in the final three quarters. They jumped off to a great start -- on offense and defense. The Jets found out how to move the ball through the air while dealing with the wind and Penningtons weak arm. Props to the Jets OC "lil Schot" for his gameplan in the second half.

I don't understand why the Bills went away from the run in the second half. I understand that they were down, but there is plenty of time left to re-establish the run game. It seemed like they had no confidence in their defense to keep them in it.

The Bills players did not lose this game -- they were outcoached.

Dead on. Deserving props to the Jets fan.

ICE74129
09-26-2006, 07:12 AM
No, you don't go away from the run. You mix pass and run in together. Is Losman that bad that he cant audible out when he can see 8 guys in the box? You could have Lee Evans in one on one coverage with one of our in-experienced CB's. No. You use the pass to set up the run. The ONLY problem on Sunday was a couple turnovers, the D Still can't stop anyone and Willis didn't get in the endzone. All his yardage was between the 20's.

mybills
09-26-2006, 07:21 AM
I agree with the coaching blame..why so different from the other two games? :shakeno:
I think there was something personal going on between Jauron & Mangini, too. Like intimidation. :cynic:

LifetimeBillsFan
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
No, you don't go away from the run. You mix pass and run in together. Is Losman that bad that he cant audible out when he can see 8 guys in the box? You could have Lee Evans in one on one coverage with one of our in-experienced CB's.

I agree. The Willis had 114 yards on the ground in the first half and only 36 the rest of the way. IMHO they abandoned the run too soon. Now, that's not to say that they should have tried to go exclusively to the ground--because at one point they were 1-6 on third downs and they could not afford to rely on their ability to ground out first downs consistently on third down. But, they could have mixed things up better.

I think that the coaching staff made some bad decisions in this game that definitely contributed to the loss. I think that they let the fact that they felt that they had better physical matchups against the Jets than they did against the Pats and Miami in the previous two games unduly influence their game-planning. I also think that they let the weather impact their calls too much as well: I think they tried too hard to score points going with the wind and, then, when they didn't get a lot of points with the wind early, I think that they figured that, with JP's arm strength, they could catch the Jets off-guard by throwing the ball while going into the wind. In the process, they I think that they got away from the running game, which was working well early, too much as the game progressed until they ended up having to abandon it when the Jets jumped out to a big lead. IMHO the Bills' coaches could have and should have done a better job.

NYJets51
09-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow, great posts -- all of you. It's weird coming to a board where not everyone is a homer (fishheaven) and you can openly critisize your team.

I think the Bills and Jets are both very young teams with A LOT of potential. With the AFC East being the way that it is -- I can see a dog fight for the rest of the season. The fins are the most over rated team in the NFL and the Pats no longer have that mystique about them.

I live in Rochester, so I have no problem with the Bills. I'm just glad I found a place where I can be critical about the Jets as well as the Bills. I look forward to chatting with you guys.

madness
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I might not be a football genius, but I'm guessing losing our starting FB might had something to do with the running game in the 2nd half.

Mitchy moo
09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I might not be a football genius, but I'm guessing losing our starting FB might had something to do with the running game in the 2nd half.

Or the coaches inability to recognize the changing weather conditions and call passes. We are at home and we could change the plays at the line if they are playing back or actually use the "TE", heaven forbid.

patmoran2006
09-26-2006, 05:48 PM

Good post and some future advice.
Dont pay attention when a mental midget like Ice "groans" you for expressing a valid opinion that even most of the die-hard Bills fans will agree with. The vast majority of people on here, Bills fans or not.. Jets fans or not.. Will engage in good conversation/debate with you.

So dont hold the majority of the board accountable for the one or two tards who groan people because you're not a Bills fan.

CuseJetsFan83
09-26-2006, 09:20 PM
this week should be a good gauge on how much losing ur fb will do to the team.....

honestly i think the jets made some adjustments and that helped, but im sure losing the fb didnt help

Night Train
09-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Neufeld was in there and can block very effectively. They decided to throw instead.

madness
09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Buffalo went 1-4 in the red zone last Sunday. Their most frustrating opportunity came when they couldn't reach the end zone despite a 1st-and-goal from the six-yard line. Willis McGahee ran for four yards to the two, and then on second-and-goal gained just one more yard to reach the one. But the offense was lacking their full goal line personnel last Sunday as Daimon Shelton suffered a head injury on a kickoff return.
"We didn't have the right package because Daimon got hurt," said McGahee. "We depend on Daimon being there, but he got banged up."
"It affected us on a couple of plays not having a fullback," said Jason Peters. "The (Jets) were in goal line and we were still in regular personnel. When Daimon went down we never went over with the tight ends who to block, but they were in there. The Jets were in a 6-2 front and we didn't have enough guys. They were out manning us and it hurt us on the goal line."