Donte Whitner named NFL Rookie of the Month!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Donte Whitner named NFL Rookie of the Month!

It's probably safe to say that Mel Kiper and the other NFL draft gurus aren't second guessing the Buffalo Bills selection of Donte Whitner with the eighth overall pick last spring anymore.

Whitner has been named the NFL Rookie of the Month for his play in September. The Ohio State product recorded an interception in his first NFL game at New England off of Tom Brady, but his return for a touchdown was called back on penalty. The scoring play would've given Buffalo the lead and likely the win in Week One. He also had eight tackles in the tightly fought contest.

"I've felt good out there," said Whitner. "It's really no different from college to the NFL. Everybody makes a big deal about being a rookie. But if you're poised and you know what you're doing out there, being a rookie really means nothing."

"Donte is a smart football player," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "For the most part he's doing an excellent job and the coaches are doing an excellent job of getting him prepared."

In Week Two Whitner made his first NFL start at Miami and was part of a dominant defensive effort as he contributed seven tackles. The Bills defense held Miami scoreless until less than two minutes remained in the game.

Whitner posted his second straight start last week and was credited with three tackles in the effort. He stands seventh on the team in tackles and is tied for the team lead for interceptions.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Donte Whitner named NFL Rookie of the Month!

I will happily eat my crow. I liked the pick, but would have traded down. It turns out that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron may have known what they have been doing all along.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Im not ready to eat crow yet. I want to see Pro Bowl style play from our number eight pick.

Comment

• BillsNick
        • Jul 2003

I think being the top Rookie in the NFL is pretty damn good. Let's not get greedy here.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsNick
          I think being the top Rookie in the NFL is pretty damn good. Let's not get greedy here.
          I agree but picking anyone in the top ten I expect Pro Bowl numbers quick. I'm not saying that I dont think he will be good, he just still has alot to prove.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
            It's probably safe to say that Mel Kiper and the other NFL draft gurus aren't second guessing the Buffalo Bills selection of Donte Whitner with the eighth overall pick last spring anymore.

Whitner has been named the NFL Rookie of the Month for his play in September. The Ohio State product recorded an interception in his first NFL game at New England off of Tom Brady, but his return for a touchdown was called back on penalty. The scoring play would've given Buffalo the lead and likely the win in Week One. He also had eight tackles in the tightly fought contest.

"I've felt good out there," said Whitner. "It's really no different from college to the NFL. Everybody makes a big deal about being a rookie. But if you're poised and you know what you're doing out there, being a rookie really means nothing."

"Donte is a smart football player," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "For the most part he's doing an excellent job and the coaches are doing an excellent job of getting him prepared."

In Week Two Whitner made his first NFL start at Miami and was part of a dominant defensive effort as he contributed seven tackles. The Bills defense held Miami scoreless until less than two minutes remained in the game.

Whitner posted his second straight start last week and was credited with three tackles in the effort. He stands seventh on the team in tackles and is tied for the team lead for interceptions.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4192
            'Who the hell is Mel Kiper'?

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsNick
              He is the top defensive rookie for the last month, not THE top rookie in the NFL. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                I agree but picking anyone in the top ten I expect Pro Bowl numbers quick. I'm not saying that I dont think he will be good, he just still has alot to prove.
                ??? Why is that? How many of last year's top 10 pick made the pro bowl?

2005:

1San FranciscoAlex SmithQBUtah
                2MiamiRonnie BrownRBAuburn
                3ClevelandBraylon EdwardsWRMichigan
                4ChicagoCedric BensonRBTexas
                5Tampa BayCarnell WilliamsRBAuburn
                6TennesseeAdam JonesCBWest Virginia
                7MinnesotaTroy WilliamsonWRSouth Carolina
                8ArizonaAntrel RolleCBMiami
                9WashingtonCarlos RogersCBAuburn
                10DetroitMike WilliamsWRSouthern California

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                  How are Mario Williams, Vince Young, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Sims and Leinhart panning out so far?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                    He is the top defensive rookie for the last month, not THE top rookie in the NFL. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here
                    There's only been one month in the season, so yeah he's THE top rookie in the NFL so far.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      How are Mario Williams, Vince Young, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Sims and Leinhart panning out so far?
                      Are they safetys? I don't believe in taking a safety that high unless he was and is a game changer. But we did and I think the kid has a shot at getting there at some point

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Huff is a safety, and he was taken ahead of Whitner.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            ??? Why is that? How many of last year's top 10 pick made the pro bowl?

2005:

1San FranciscoAlex SmithQBUtah
                            2MiamiRonnie BrownRBAuburn
                            3ClevelandBraylon EdwardsWRMichigan
                            4ChicagoCedric BensonRBTexas
                            5Tampa BayCarnell WilliamsRBAuburn
                            6TennesseeAdam JonesCBWest Virginia
                            7MinnesotaTroy WilliamsonWRSouth Carolina
                            8ArizonaAntrel RolleCBMiami
                            9WashingtonCarlos RogersCBAuburn
                            10DetroitMike WilliamsWRSouthern California
                            I did not say that because you are picked top ten you will have Pro Bowl number I said that I expect them if you are picked in the top ten. Listen.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              no, he's the top rookie of the month. Not just defensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X