PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner named NFL Rookie of the Month!

Michael82
09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
It's probably safe to say that Mel Kiper and the other NFL draft gurus aren't second guessing the Buffalo Bills selection of Donte Whitner with the eighth overall pick last spring anymore.

Whitner has been named the NFL Rookie of the Month for his play in September. The Ohio State product recorded an interception in his first NFL game at New England off of Tom Brady, but his return for a touchdown was called back on penalty. The scoring play would've given Buffalo the lead and likely the win in Week One. He also had eight tackles in the tightly fought contest.

"I've felt good out there," said Whitner. "It's really no different from college to the NFL. Everybody makes a big deal about being a rookie. But if you're poised and you know what you're doing out there, being a rookie really means nothing."

"Donte is a smart football player," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "For the most part he's doing an excellent job and the coaches are doing an excellent job of getting him prepared."

In Week Two Whitner made his first NFL start at Miami and was part of a dominant defensive effort as he contributed seven tackles. The Bills defense held Miami scoreless until less than two minutes remained in the game.

Whitner posted his second straight start last week and was credited with three tackles in the effort. He stands seventh on the team in tackles and is tied for the team lead for interceptions.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4192

Michael82
09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I will happily eat my crow. I liked the pick, but would have traded down. It turns out that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron may have known what they have been doing all along. :bf1:

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Im not ready to eat crow yet. I want to see Pro Bowl style play from our number eight pick.

BillsNick
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I think being the top Rookie in the NFL is pretty damn good. Let's not get greedy here.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I think being the top Rookie in the NFL is pretty damn good. Let's not get greedy here.
I agree but picking anyone in the top ten I expect Pro Bowl numbers quick. I'm not saying that I dont think he will be good, he just still has alot to prove.

ICE74129
09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
It's probably safe to say that Mel Kiper and the other NFL draft gurus aren't second guessing the Buffalo Bills selection of Donte Whitner with the eighth overall pick last spring anymore.

Whitner has been named the NFL Rookie of the Month for his play in September. The Ohio State product recorded an interception in his first NFL game at New England off of Tom Brady, but his return for a touchdown was called back on penalty. The scoring play would've given Buffalo the lead and likely the win in Week One. He also had eight tackles in the tightly fought contest.

"I've felt good out there," said Whitner. "It's really no different from college to the NFL. Everybody makes a big deal about being a rookie. But if you're poised and you know what you're doing out there, being a rookie really means nothing."

"Donte is a smart football player," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "For the most part he's doing an excellent job and the coaches are doing an excellent job of getting him prepared."

In Week Two Whitner made his first NFL start at Miami and was part of a dominant defensive effort as he contributed seven tackles. The Bills defense held Miami scoreless until less than two minutes remained in the game.

Whitner posted his second straight start last week and was credited with three tackles in the effort. He stands seventh on the team in tackles and is tied for the team lead for interceptions.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4192

'Who the hell is Mel Kiper'?:bandwagon

ICE74129
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I think being the top Rookie in the NFL is pretty damn good. Let's not get greedy here. He is the top defensive rookie for the last month, not THE top rookie in the NFL. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here

mysticsoto
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
I agree but picking anyone in the top ten I expect Pro Bowl numbers quick. I'm not saying that I dont think he will be good, he just still has alot to prove.

??? Why is that? How many of last year's top 10 pick made the pro bowl?

2005:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">San Francisco</td><td align="left">Alex Smith</td><td align="left">QB</td><td align="left">Utah</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">Miami</td><td align="left">Ronnie Brown</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">Cleveland</td><td align="left">Braylon Edwards</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">Michigan</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">4</td><td align="left">Chicago</td><td align="left">Cedric Benson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Texas</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">5</td><td align="left">Tampa Bay</td><td align="left">Carnell Williams</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">Tennessee</td><td align="left">Adam Jones</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">West Virginia</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">7</td><td align="left">Minnesota</td><td align="left">Troy Williamson</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">South Carolina</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">8</td><td align="left">Arizona</td><td align="left">Antrel Rolle</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">Miami</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">9</td><td align="left">Washington</td><td align="left">Carlos Rogers</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">10</td><td align="left">Detroit</td><td align="left">Mike Williams</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">Southern California</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mr. Miyagi
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
How are Mario Williams, Vince Young, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Sims and Leinhart panning out so far? :rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
He is the top defensive rookie for the last month, not THE top rookie in the NFL. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here
There's only been one month in the season, so yeah he's THE top rookie in the NFL so far.

ICE74129
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
How are Mario Williams, Vince Young, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Sims and Leinhart panning out so far? :rolleyes: Are they safetys? I don't believe in taking a safety that high unless he was and is a game changer. But we did and I think the kid has a shot at getting there at some point

Michael82
09-28-2006, 01:02 PM
How are Mario Williams, Vince Young, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Sims and Leinhart panning out so far? :rolleyes:
:bf1:

Mr. Miyagi
Huff is a safety, and he was taken ahead of Whitner.

gr8slayer
??? Why is that? How many of last year's top 10 pick made the pro bowl?

2005:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">San Francisco</td><td align="left">Alex Smith</td><td align="left">QB</td><td align="left">Utah</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">Miami</td><td align="left">Ronnie Brown</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">Cleveland</td><td align="left">Braylon Edwards</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">Michigan</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">4</td><td align="left">Chicago</td><td align="left">Cedric Benson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Texas</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">5</td><td align="left">Tampa Bay</td><td align="left">Carnell Williams</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">Tennessee</td><td align="left">Adam Jones</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">West Virginia</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">7</td><td align="left">Minnesota</td><td align="left">Troy Williamson</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">South Carolina</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">8</td><td align="left">Arizona</td><td align="left">Antrel Rolle</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">Miami</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">9</td><td align="left">Washington</td><td align="left">Carlos Rogers</td><td align="left">CB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">10</td><td align="left">Detroit</td><td align="left">Mike Williams</td><td align="left">WR</td><td align="left">Southern California</td></tr></tbody></table>I did not say that because you are picked top ten you will have Pro Bowl number I said that I expect them if you are picked in the top ten. Listen.

Michael82
He is the top defensive rookie for the last month, not THE top rookie in the NFL. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here
no, he's the top rookie of the month. Not just defensive. :::

mybills
I will happily eat my crow. I liked the pick, but would have traded down. It turns out that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron may have known what they have been doing all along. :bf1:
Of course Marv knows what he's doing. :up:

SABURZFAN
not bad for a "reach."

:bf1:

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Again for those who cant read. I expect the numbers I never said they are a sure thing. Another thing, how many of those guys are Bills? Zero, how many of those guys do I care about? Zero, I dont care if all those guys pull a T.O. as long as our guy does well.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I cant find that on NFL.com all I see is rookie of the week. Do you have a link so I can shove it in my bosses face?

Michael82
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I cant find that on NFL.com all I see is rookie of the week. Do you have a link so I can shove it in my bosses face?
it's on the first post. :up:

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
it's on the first post. :up:
I was looking for something from NFL.com not just BB.com, he does not consider it a credible site.

Mitchy moo
09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Donte on the bench was a force, he kept trying to fire up the crowd and bouncing around and get his bench all excited. I for one am very happy for him.

Mr. Miyagi
09-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Again for those who cant read. I expect the numbers I never said they are a sure thing. Another thing, how many of those guys are Bills? Zero, how many of those guys do I care about? Zero, I dont care if all those guys pull a T.O. as long as our guy does well.
What YOU expect means nothing to the rest of us. You're not a GM.

All we're saying is that we think it's quite an accomplishment for our #1 pick, whom the media thought we over-reached for, proves them all wrong by earning the Rookie of the Month title, instead of whoever else people were so big on at the draft. So there.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
What YOU expect means nothing to the rest of us. You're not a GM.

All we're saying is that we think it's quite an accomplishment for our #1 pick, whom the media thought we over-reached for, proves them all wrong by earning the Rookie of the Month title, instead of whoever else people were so big on at the draft. So there.
I am simply not sold on him yet. A petty award means nothing in the big picture. We need him to be a game changer and so far he has not been. I like the guy just as much as anyone, but that doesnt mean I think he is a football god yet.

Michael82
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I was looking for something from NFL.com not just BB.com, he does not consider it a credible site.
http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=1889

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=1889
Thanks for the link, I just wish I could find something on NFL.com

Good for Whitner.

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Are they safetys? I don't believe in taking a safety that high unless he was and is a game changer. But we did and I think the kid has a shot at getting there at some point

Except the importance of a talented safety in this type of defense is hightened and is worth a high pick.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Except the importance of a talented safety in this type of defense is hightened and is worth a high pick.
It no doubt is. Eight does seem alittle though, but you are right. In the Cover 2 you need a playmaker at both saftey positions. Thankfully we might have gotten a steal in Simpson.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
This is one reason I would look at this as a flawed award. How is Whitner rookie of the month when he hasnt even won rookie of the week yet?
http://www.nfl.com/rookies/vote

JJamezz
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Good stuff :up:

One correction, Kiper didn't badmouth the pick, he actually stood up for us (and made Mort look like a chump in the process :snicker:), on-air anyway, I don't know if he said anything after the fact.

mysticsoto
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I did not say that because you are picked top ten you will have Pro Bowl number I said that I expect them if you are picked in the top ten. Listen.

I call that bull***** backpedalling!!!

So you are saying that it isn't a sure thing, but you expect it. Well, maybe you shouldn't "expect" it given that it is not a common occurence!!! Think!

TigerJ
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
But, but he was a reach.

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I call that bull***** backpedalling!!!

So you are saying that it isn't a sure thing, but you expect it. Well, maybe you shouldn't "expect" it given that it is not a common occurence!!! Think!
There is no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL especially when it comes to drafting. But where is the fault in expecting Ed Reed style numbers from a guy that you pick number eight overall. I expect everyone on our team from our best player (Moorman) to our worst player (Wire) to be the best at what they do. You can be satisfied with mediocrity but mediocrity is what lost us four SB's. Think about it.

bigbub2352
09-28-2006, 01:31 PM
way to guy mike mayock, mel kiper, got to luv being call EXPERTS

mysticsoto
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
There is no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL especially when it comes to drafting. But where is the fault in expecting Ed Reed style numbers from a guy that you pick number eight overall. I expect everyone on our team from our best player (Moorman) to our worst player (Wire) to be the best at what they do. You can be satisfied with mediocrity but mediocrity is what lost us four SB's. Think about it.

What I do know is that none of the other top 10 picks have been outstanding to the point of being probowl picks (atleast as of yet) including the safety before Dante, Huff. Considering what we were intending to get which might have been a DT, I don't see anything outstanding by the current defensive tackles out there. I do see, however, that our pick has been doing an outstanding job so far. AND more importantly, I acknowledge that if we hadn't picked him, right now our starters would be Ko and Wire. Ko has been playing well, but him and Wire together would make me alot more nervous than him and Dante!

SABURZFAN
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
This is one reason I would look at this as a flawed award. How is Whitner rookie of the month when he hasnt even won rookie of the week yet?
http://www.nfl.com/rookies/vote

has it occurred to you that his steady play may be the reason? :rolleyes:

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
What I do know is that none of the other top 10 picks have been outstanding to the point of being probowl picks (atleast as of yet) including the safety before Dante, Huff. Considering what we were intending to get which might have been a DT, I don't see anything outstanding by the current defensive tackles out there. I do see, however, that our pick has been doing an outstanding job so far. AND more importantly, I acknowledge that if we hadn't picked him, right now our starters would be Ko and Wire. Ko has been playing well, but him and Wire together would make me alot more nervous than him and Dante!
Agreed on all points except that our pick has done an "outstanding job so far." That's a stretch. Good maybe, but outstanding?

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh well gotta go to work. Congrats to Donte, but I still want to see alot more.

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Is his first 3 games?

hydro
09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I did not say that because you are picked top ten you will have Pro Bowl number I said that I expect them if you are picked in the top ten. Listen.

There should not be a "expectation" to be in the pro bowl your first year in the NFL no matter what pick you are. Thats is proposterous.

These guys need time to get experience, if there play level exceeds everyone elses which results in a pro bowl that is just icing on the cake.

Kerr
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
There's usually been a trend with defensive rookies who have won these awards. They've went on to become pro bowl players. It's a good omen.

Michael82
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
There should not be a "expectation" to be in the pro bowl your first year in the NFL no matter what pick you are. Thats is proposterous.

These guys need time to get experience, if there play level exceeds everyone elses which results in a pro bowl that is just icing on the cake.
Good post! :up:

Michael82
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
There's usually been a trend with defensive rookies of have won these awards. They've went on to become pro bowl players. It's a good omen.
EXACTLY! :up:

Night Train
09-28-2006, 01:55 PM
That's impossible.

He was a terrible pick, according to all the bright 5 watt bulbs.

RedEyE
09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
To be fair, what pick is a sure thing in the draft?

Guys like Kiper make money off analyzing talent and should stop short at giving their predictions.

ICE74129
09-28-2006, 02:08 PM

I think my sarcasm was missed :bandwagon Its too early to say he is the NFL's Top rookie period. 3 more months or so left

ICE74129
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Except the importance of a talented safety in this type of defense is hightened and is worth a high pick. IF he is at probowl level, which Whitner isn't....yet.

justasportsfan
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree but picking anyone in the top ten I expect Pro Bowl numbers quick. .
In their rookie year?

Mitchy moo
09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
In their rookie year?

that would be amazing.

Buckets
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Im not ready to eat crow yet. I want to see Pro Bowl style play from our number eight pick.

I'm sure the other 8 taken ahead of him will be all-pro. Are they all starting? Have some of them even seen the field yet?

Mitchy moo
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm sure the other 8 taken ahead of him will be all-pro. Are they all starting? Have some of them even seen the field yet?

much less rookie of the month, the first month of the season.

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
IF he is at probowl level, which Whitner isn't....yet.

Wouldn't that be the same for almost any position at 8?

shelby
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
:up:

YardRat
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
If anybody would've been bold enough to predict Whitner would be the first ROTM this season, they would've been mocked.

The kid's performing better than anybody expected at this point, so he deserves props. Regardless of where he was picked.

Luisito23
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Mad props on the award D.W...:beers:...:respect:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

RockStar36
09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
It's starting to look like an excellent pick as each game passes. I hope he can keep the strong play up. I was loving the fact that he was trying to pump up the crowd last week when the D was on the field.

naugem
09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9692135

HHURRICANE
09-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm excited but Gabe Northern was NFL rookie of the month. I'll be more impressed with Rookie of the year. All the pundits had Huff winning "Rookie of the year". We'll see.

G. Host
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Northern played very at beginning but he peaked soon - far too soon