• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Tentative gameplan for vikings game

GAME PLAN: Two teams good at running the football square off, but the edge goes to the Vikings' ability to stop the run. Led by ex-Bill Pat Williams and veteran star Kevin Williams, Minnesota ranks 10th against the run allowing 87 yards per game. They have combined for 30 tackles, 15 QB hurries, three tackles for losses and one forced fumble. The Bills can't shy from working Willis McGahee and may find better success with off-tackle runs and toss pitches, although running to the side of ex-Bills CB Antoine Winfield (team-leading 21 tackles) is no sure thing. QB J.P. Losman, who had two costly fumbles after sacks last week against the Jets, should have time to throw (the Vikings have just three sacks) and the scheme he'll face (Tampa 2) is the one he sees in practice every day in Buffalo. The pass could open up the running game in this case. Defensively for Buffalo, it has to stop RB Chester Taylor from heating up. That will allow them to get pressure on 38-year-old QB Brad Johnson, who is hitting 60 percent of his passes but who has been sacked seven times.

This is exactly what they'll need to try and do. Run off tackle and sweeps because fat pat will clog the middle. And it seems the viking pass rush isn't as good as their run defense. They've only got 3 sacks so far this season. This bodes well for jp, who may end up putting more big numbers, while using the pass to set up Willis for big runs. The vikings will surely attempt to control time of possession by running straight at us. I see our run defense will either make us or break us in this game. It needs to come up big, otherwise we lose.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Tentative gameplan for vikings game

Good post, and I agree with pretty much all this.

I wouldnt be surprised if SHaud Williams gets activated for this game and they use him to try and run outside more to spell Willis now and then.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

Do all that and run a hurry-up offense to wear down Fat Pat and render him inneffective in the second half.

Comment

• ryjam282
        Offical Billszone Starting QB
        • Mar 2003

The Vikings O reminds me a lot of the Jets O, only they have a LOT better running game. They will rely on the running game more then the Jets did but we couldn't stop the dink and dunk of Pennington, I don't know if we can stop the master at it (other then Holcombe) in Brad Johnson. If we stop the run early, we must put pressure on Johnson to make him get rid of the ball early and we can't miss tackles.

Ryan Withey
        Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ryjam282
          The Vikings O reminds me a lot of the Jets O, only they have a LOT better running game. They will rely on the running game more then the Jets did but we couldn't stop the dink and dunk of Pennington, I don't know if we can stop the master at it (other then Holcombe) in Brad Johnson. If we stop the run early, we must put pressure on Johnson to make him get rid of the ball early and we can't miss tackles.
          Exactly. I guess its cliche, but if we dont stop their run we're in for a loooong day. They just keep running the ball over and over till the run is overplayed, then they take a shot downfield. We gotta shut down the run and play their offense into our defensive strength (being pass defense). Our secondary is far better than their receivers. I just hope we shut down Wiggins also. We've been letting TEs get open.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            I wouldnt be surprised if SHaud Williams gets activated for this game and they use him to try and run outside more to spell Willis now and then.
            Good call, but was Shaud Williams ever deactivated?

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

ya, I dont think he's been active yet this year

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                ya, I dont think he's been active yet this year
                He hasn't played but he's been dressed every game I think. Just technicality, doesn't matter.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Just checked nfl.com
                  Shaud Williams hasnt even dressed yet this year.

Who cares.. We both agree on the point. Might be time to dress him and see if he can get outside a couple times on the Minny DL

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

I am really not worried about the run so much as Johnson's ability to convert 3rd downs and keep us on the field. Johnson is much better at that sort of thing then Pennington and he had a field day so we need to shore that up ASAP!!

Pressure, pressure, and pressure.

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
                    X