PDA

View Full Version : This game is on JP to win

patmoran2006
09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
You aint running the ball consistently on the Vikings...Through their first three games (and mind you Washington, Carolina and Chicago arent' GB, Detroit and Houston).. Check out these two telling stats.

The Vikes are giving up only 87 rushing yards per game. Clinton Portis had only 39 yards on 10 carries. Thomas Jones could only muster 54 yards on 18 carries. DeAngelo Williams had the most individual sucess, running for 74 yards on 13 carries.

The Vikes third down defense has been unreal to this point. Opponents are converting only 28.5 percent (12 for 42) on third downs.

In other words, THIS is the game where Losman really needs to step up and make some big plays down the field. The Vikes are NOT the team your gonna pound the ball up and down the field and eat up the clock with 10 play drives against.

So to me, this game is on JP showing he has the ability to make big plays against a stingy defense.

Goobylal
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
No, the game is on the whole TEAM to win.

Risin
09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Read the articles leading up to this game.

Minnesota plays a form of the 'Cover 2', that defense is designed not to allow big plays.

You have to either run against it, or pot shot your way down the field.

The only big plays usually hit against it, are similar to the big play the Jets hit on us.

It is possible to catch them blitzing, but to ASSUME we're going to be able to go over the top, is unfair.

I just want JP to move the chains, and Willis to pickup the occasional blitz. :oops:

Risin
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
No, the game is on the whole TEAM to win.

I agree.

The key on offense, is be patient, and cut the unforced penalties out. (false start, illegal formation, holding on the opposite side of the field, or when we already gained good yardage)

On defense, stop Chester Taylor (dude is good), and don't let Brad Johnson get comfortable.

He is a pretty solid QB, most of his errors need to be forced.

Don't think he's gonna force too many balls, or badly overthrow receivers.

(weather is the x-factor)

gr8slayer
09-28-2006, 10:49 PM
You know the difference between Thomas, Portis, and Williams? They are no Willis McGahee. Portis is but he was hurt. The other two couldnt even hold McGahee's jock strap.

This will be a team effort. Minny likes to blitz the C gap alot, I would look for alot of screen passes to the outside to take advantage of the blitz. Also when you blitz you make yourself vulnerable to the big play when the opposing team is running. I look for McGahee to have at least 25 carries for something in the 4.0 ypg range and another 30-50 yards recieving on no less than three catches.

Granted Minny has a huge DL we have mobility on our side, we need to start zone blocking more and let McGahee pick his holes, the guy has good vision and generally hits the hole pretty hard, if he can keep his legs moving once he makes contact he will destroy most any defender that is not on the DL.

Again, look for the screen alot this weekend against the Vikes, I can also see us using alittle more of Shaud Williams on the screen because of his quickness and ability to move well in tight spots.

BTW, if we are blessed with the presense of one T.K.O. we will win by double digits, you heard it here first.

Yasgur's Farm
09-29-2006, 06:11 AM
he Vikes are giving up only 87 rushing yards per game. Clinton Portis had only 39 yards on 10 carries. Thomas Jones could only muster 54 yards on 18 carries. DeAngelo Williams had the most individual sucess, running for 74 yards on 13 carries.That's 167 yards in 41 carries or 4.1 yards/carry... I ain't scared.

jmb1099
09-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Alright, I see the point you're making Pat, but you know as well as I do that
1) The whole team needs to step up to beat Minny not just Losman
2) A victory depends upon the gameplan as much as anything else

Losman did make some mistakes against the Jets, no doubt, but he also made a lot of really decent plays. He as continued to improve and at the rate he's improving should be a solid qb before the season's over. I want the Minny game to be the game that Losman shuts up all the naysayers, but I suspect that he could throw for 500 yards, 4 td's, rush for another 50 and some of you guys still wouldn't cut him any slack. I can almost here it now "well sure he threw for 500 yards, scored 4 td's and ran for another 50, but did you see that one play where he was sacked for a 2 yard loss? bastard should have thrown the ball away he sucks"

X-Era
09-29-2006, 06:51 AM
You aint running the ball consistently on the Vikings...Through their first three games (and mind you Washington, Carolina and Chicago arent' GB, Detroit and Houston).. Check out these two telling stats.

The Vikes are giving up only 87 rushing yards per game. Clinton Portis had only 39 yards on 10 carries. Thomas Jones could only muster 54 yards on 18 carries. DeAngelo Williams had the most individual sucess, running for 74 yards on 13 carries.

The Vikes third down defense has been unreal to this point. Opponents are converting only 28.5 percent (12 for 42) on third downs.

In other words, THIS is the game where Losman really needs to step up and make some big plays down the field. The Vikes are NOT the team your gonna pound the ball up and down the field and eat up the clock with 10 play drives against.

So to me, this game is on JP showing he has the ability to make big plays against a stingy defense.

Then you and your brother (TD) should expect a loss. You cant expect a young QB to carry a team.

And NO, I wont be calling for anyones head if the game IS on JP and he doesnt get it done.

He starts ALL of 06 PERIOD!!!!!

don137
09-29-2006, 06:52 AM
You also need to rely on the Bills defense and special teams to make some big plays. If the Bills offense has to drive 80 yards to score everytime they won't because Minny has a good defense and the offense is not good enough to do it consistantly. To win the Bills offense needs a short field to work with. Turnover and good returns on special teams are critical to get the "W".
With NE playing Cinci, the Jets playing Indy and Miami playing Houston there could conceivably be all AFC East teams at 2-2.

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Then you and your brother (TD) should expect a loss. You cant expect a young QB to carry a team.

And NO, I wont be calling for anyones head if the game IS on JP and he doesnt get it done.

I dont care if he's a rookie or a 10th year vet. Stop making up excuses.. A starting quarterback needs to "carry a team" every now and then.. And seeing the unlikeliness of us sucessfully running the ball up and down the field... NOW is one of those games.

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 06:54 AM
And for the record, I dont recall calling for the benching of Losman..

X-Era
09-29-2006, 07:01 AM
I dont care if he's a rookie or a 10th year vet. Stop making up excuses.. A starting quarterback needs to "carry a team" every now and then.. And seeing the unlikeliness of us sucessfully running the ball up and down the field... NOW is one of those games.

Only in your world.

Talk about excuses. What were the excuses for not having the nards to develop a QB that can give you sustained wins? Wheres the big trades for a vet who can do it?

The Bills setup a situation where they have NO other choice but to develop their own QB. And you want to sit on the sidelines and blast away at him every step of the way. Isnt that like *****ing about the traffic, and then *****ing about the road work to put in a 4 lane to speed up traffic?

Your "posts" are shortsighted. We tried the shortsighted way last year, how did that work? Like it or lump it, Losman starts all of 06.

And yes Ill take a 3 and 13 year if it means next year is a 13 and 3.

X-Era
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM

I am extremely happy that I was completely wrong on this post.

JP actually DID carry this team to a win today.

We still cant expect him to do it all the time. But its nice to know that we still have a shot at winning if we cant run.

HHURRICANE
10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Pat called it. It was JP's win today.