PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Most Overatted Player in NFL ???

bigbub2352
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
I will split it up to make it easier my obvious choice is MICHAEL Vick for Offense
My Defensive Pick is Lavar Arrington all the money this guy gets and u never hear or see him do anything

Curious to eveyone elses opinion

I guess u can also make a point for who is the most over hyped before he did anything in the NFL too, my guy on offense would be Roy Williams WR DET and DEF would have to be jonathan sullivan DT NO

SquishDaFish
09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree with Vick/Cullpecker and Def for sure is Arrington

Jeff1220
09-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Vick, no question.

OpIv37
09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
I'd put Jeremy Shockey up there with Culpepper and Vick. You hear so much about the guy but he has like 3 good games a year and is injured a lot.

Arrington is very overrated- I live in Skins territory and the Skins fans have been *****ing about him for years. His performance definitely doesn't justify his salary. Ray Lewis is up there too. Don't get me wrong- 5 years ago, even 3 years ago, Lewis was the most dominant defensive player in the league. Now, he's still good but not nearly worthy of the hype he gets due to his past performance.

And I hate to say it, but I'd put Nate Clements up there as well. The guy gambles to get INT's and when it works he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, he gets torched for 200 yards. He's a selfish player who puts his stats above the team and there are other CB's who are just as good that make a quarter of his salary. At this point I don't even think Clements is the best corner on our team- McGee is better.

Michael82
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Easily, Michael Vick and Daunte Culpepper

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
QB: Vick (the passer) I'd still want him over anything the Bills have to offer.

RB: Ronnie Brown

WR: Randy Moss, the dude hasn't done crap since going to Oakland

DE: Schobel: plays great 1 game, next 3 games is more lost then Waldo.

M
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
For me, it's T.O. but that's probably because he's so annoying ..................

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Here's my six pack

1- Culpepper (who's done nothing post-moss)
2- Arrington (physical freak- plays like a pussycat)
3- Moss (who's done nothing post-Pep)
4- Bledsoe (is a name player only, Dallas would be much better w/o him)
5- Charles Woodson- What a bust he's turned out to be.
6- I"ll give you 7.2 million why Nate Clements is 6th on this list.

(I dont think Vick is that overated, he's on his way to a good season, and he's never had a Owens, Moss, Harrison, etc playing WR.. I think his staff has been to blame as much as him. I dont think he's a top five QB in the NFL, but I dont think he's a bum either, I'd take him anyday)

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Throw Roethlisberger in there. The SB win was from the defense and the tough clock-control running game, not QB play.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Throw Roethlisberger in there. The SB win was from the defense and the tough clock-control running game, not QB play.

And the Refs.

I've never been impressed with Ben. Its the Losmanites that keep brining Ben up to compare JP with.

Michael82
09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
So basically Big Ben is nothing without the Bus? :D

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
And the great D.

Put Big Ben in Arizona. He'd be called a bust by now.

blackonyx89
09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Bruschi,Bruschi,Bruschi!!!

You think? LOL!

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 01:01 PM

You think? LOL!
Yeah! How could we forget??!

Gunzlingr
09-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Vick.

L.A. Playa
09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Anyone on the Raiders

bigbub2352
09-29-2006, 01:07 PM
i agree with alot of this, i wouldnt say Ronnie Brown he gets a crutch just for playing with MM and Bennie, but i will add to the list how about Kyle Boller he had alot of hype because he could throw it from his knees thre the goal post from the 50 yard line, got him drafted in the first round, Also Chris perry RB Cinn

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Anyone on the Raiders
The Los Angeles Raiders LOL

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 01:08 PM
but i will add to the list how about Kyle Boller he had alot of hype because he could throw it from his knees thre the goal post from the 50 yard line, got him drafted in the first round
I thought that was Carson Palmer :huh:

L.A. Playa
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
The Los Angeles Raiders LOL

you and the Illegals in LA need to realize they play in Oakland

Mahdi
09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
I say Fred Smoot, he talks a lot for a guy who gets burned routinely. And Ben Roethlisberger. This guy has fed off a great O-line and running game and he is considered a superstar and gets all this praise.

Mahdi
09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Vick.
I really dont see how Vick is over rated. He is what he is, an athletic QB. People just want him to be Peyton Manning at the same time which will never happen. He will sink or swim with his legs, period.

bigbub2352
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
nope it was boller

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Lawyer Milloy (they still think he is great in Atlanta, and he still sucks),

Brett Favre (any good QB with that much of a continuous opportunity with good receivers would have the numbers he has)

Warren Sapp ---what happened to that dude?

any Detroit receiver....no explanation needed.

Larry Johnson---9 good games behind a great line does not a hall of fame rusher make.

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 01:41 PM

WR: Randy Moss, the dude hasn't done crap since going to Oakland

DE: Schobel: plays great 1 game, next 3 games is more lost then Waldo.

If your going to throw ROnnie Brown in there, who's in only the quarter point of his second season on a OL featuring LJ Shelton and Bennie Anderson, then you may as well throw Losman on this list too, which is something I know you'd have no problem doing

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Brett Favre (any good QB with that much of a continuous opportunity with good receivers would have the numbers he has)

Larry Johnson---9 good games behind a great line does not a hall of fame rusher make.

I disagree about Favre.. He had Sterling Sharpe early in his career and Javon Walker had one great season.. But outside of that he's worked with a lot of WR's like Donald Driver and Antonio Freeman; decent WR's but hardly pro bowlers.

Mahdi
09-29-2006, 01:45 PM

The thing with the players you are mentionning is that they are all out of their prime. 5 years ago they were all legit pro-bowlers, except of course for Johnson and Det receivers.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I disagree about Favre.. He had Sterling Sharpe early in his career and Javon Walker had one great season.. But outside of that he's worked with a lot of WR's like Donald Driver and Antonio Freeman; decent WR's but hardly pro bowlers.

I agree, not pro bowlers, but he has always had a couple of solid receivers.

I just that if you were to put any QB in his spot, where he has been, they would have produced similar results.

I really like Favre, but I think he is over-hyped.

DynaPaul
09-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Brett Favre over the last 3 years and Tedy Bruschi.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
The thing with the players you are mentionning is that they are all out of their prime. 5 years ago they were all legit pro-bowlers, except of course for Johnson and Det receivers.

Oops, sorry.....didn't realize that you have to be young and in your prime to be over-rated.

My definition of over-rated is a player that the media and average joes who don't know much about football think is great....when they really aren't.

By the way I thought Sapp was over-rated back in his hey-day.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
If your going to throw ROnnie Brown in there, who's in only the quarter point of his second season on a OL featuring LJ Shelton and Bennie Anderson, then you may as well throw Losman on this list too, which is something I know you'd have no problem doing

Can't throw Losman in there because to be Overrated means you have to be rated high.

Ronnie Brown was the 2nd overall pick the year he was drafted. And many thought he was going to be a dominate RB. JP was drafted as a project and is still considered a project.

feelthepain
09-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Easily, Michael Vick and Daunte Culpepper

I'd put Jeremy Shockey up there with Culpepper and Vick. You hear so much about the guy but he has like 3 good games a year and is injured a lot.

I agree with Vick/Cullpecker and Def for sure is Arrington

1- Culpepper (who's done nothing post-moss)

What's amazing, or should I say pathetic, is there aren't any Bills players in those quotes, I guess because there aren't any Bills players good enough to be considerd or even rated!

Typ0
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I really dont see how Vick is over rated. He is what he is, an athletic QB. People just want him to be Peyton Manning at the same time which will never happen. He will sink or swim with his legs, period.

thank you. Vick is not overrated. If anything he's analyzed improperly. Vick is not a traditional QB he's a RB who plays the QB position. Take the blinders off and see that he's playing a different type of game that we're used to and he's successful.

Most overrated player: Tom Brady. He's had his shining moments...let's see what the rest of his career looks like.

Billscusey
09-29-2006, 03:11 PM

You think? LOL!

Yep, case closed, you've nailed it! End of discussion.

Typ0
09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I never heard a lot of "Bruschi is the best player" from the media...the guy got a lot of attention because he was a good story. He had some good games in the playoffs, they probably would not have won without him. I still don't think he's been "rated" that high.

Philagape
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out why Vick is overrated. Has anyone ever said he's a good passer?

He gets a lot of attention because he's an exciting athlete. Who says a quarterback must be judged ONLY by his passing ability when he's capable of doing more?

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
I have to disagree with 3/4ths of you on Mike Vick. He is the most dangerous player in the history of the NFL. I didnt used to think so but after actually watching the guy on film and breaking him down there is no player more dangerous.

Typ0
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Nothing like having the opposing QB burn you for 100 yards rushing...LOL.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Can't throw Losman in there because to be Overrated means you have to be rated high.

Ronnie Brown was the 2nd overall pick the year he was drafted. And many thought he was going to be a dominate RB. JP was drafted as a project and is still considered a project.
How is Brown overrated? The season is still young. Right now LJ is the most over rated player. He was supposed to break every record in the book and has done nothing (for a guy his caliber) so far.

Crisis
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Jason Taylor
Zach Thomas
Daunte Culpepper
Miami's whole secondary
Ronnie Brown
Chris Chambers
Randy McMichael
Olindo Mare

Coaches-

Capers
Mularkey
Saban
Houck

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Nothing like having the opposing QB burn you for 100 yards rushing...LOL.
You cannot defend against a QB like that. The guy is also one of the toughest guys in the league, he takes some of the ugliest hits and gets up everytime (unless its a broken knee). I would kill to have a player like Vick on my team.

Crisis
09-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm completely unbiased, too.

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I agree, not pro bowlers, but he has always had a couple of solid receivers.

I just that if you were to put any QB in his spot, where he has been, they would have produced similar results.

I really like Favre, but I think he is over-hyped.
St. Brett can do no wrong in this neck of the woods. :(

Typ0
09-29-2006, 03:55 PM
if we had Vick instead of Bledsoe I bet we would have made the playoffs two of those years.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 03:56 PM
if we had Vick instead of Bledsoe I bet we would have made the playoffs two of those years.
If we had Vick two years ago with that Defense we could have gone further than that.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I have learned that a great player not only plays well but he makes the other players around him play well. Vick does that, he makes it possible for Dunn to be one of the top rushers in the league, he makes Crumpler look good by buying time for him to get open.

Typ0
09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
If we had Vick two years ago with that Defense we could have gone further than that.

can you imagine Vick getting a first down when we really need one instead of constantly padding his passing stats and then throwing an interception when it really counts?

Typ0
09-29-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure exactly what Vicks win loss record is...but I bet it's one of the best ever. It must be because of that superior talent on the Falcons during his tenure.

MarvLevy
09-29-2006, 04:16 PM
JP LOSMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 04:25 PM
What's amazing, or should I say pathetic, is there aren't any Bills players in those quotes, I guess because there aren't any Bills players good enough to be considerd or even rated!
They were good enough to hold your team full of "All-Stars" like Culpepper, chambers, Brown, Thomas, Taylor, etc.. To 6 garbage points late in the fourth quarter.. at home.. in your home opener.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 04:35 PM
TKO

his best years were in cincinatti.

Gunzlingr
09-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Rashad Baker

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 04:45 PM

You quoted my post but you left out the Bills player I had in it, Schobel.

Gunzlingr
09-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure exactly what Vicks win loss record is...but I bet it's one of the best ever. It must be because of that superior talent on the Falcons during his tenure.

And what has he won again? Division Titles? NFC Championships? Super Bowls? They talk like he is a god among men, but he doesn't have the stats or championships to back it up. I don't understand how he is so deadly, shut down the run, and make him beat you with the pass, and you have it figured out.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 05:37 PM
TKO

Huh?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Huh?

do you want me to type slower?

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 05:43 PM
do you want me to type slower?
Explain your thesis please, back it up with facts because looking at his stats he looks like more of a game changer here than he was there. Five INT's, two returned for TD's in '04, 3 FF. That's a game changer.

Or is this just more of your useless Bills bashing.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2006, 05:44 PM
You cannot defend against a QB like that. The guy is also one of the toughest guys in the league, he takes some of the ugliest hits and gets up everytime (unless its a broken knee). I would kill to have a player like Vick on my team.

I live in Atlanta. Vick sucks. We would be a better team with Shaub. Vick, hands down is the most overrated player in the NFL. Great athlete, overrated football player. Champ Bailey on defense.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I live in Atlanta. Vick sucks. We would be a better team with Shaub. Vick, hands down is the most overrated player in the NFL. Great athlete, overrated football player. Champ Bailey on defense.
We? As in you arent a Bills fan?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Explain your thesis please, back it up with facts because looking at his stats he looks like more of a game changer here than he was there. Five INT's, two returned for TD's in '04, 3 FF. That's a game changer.

Or is this just more of your useless Bills bashing.

what's he done since 2005?

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 05:48 PM
what's he done since 2005?
Been injured?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Been injured?

fragile???

Philagape
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
TKO

In 2003 he went to his first Pro Bowl

In 2004 he was first-team All Pro after leading the league's linebackers in turnovers.

I believe both those years he was in Buffalo.

But I'll just take your word for it.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 05:52 PM
fragile???
How many games did he miss in his nine year career before this injury?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
like i said,his best years were in cincinatti.he's declining in buffalo.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
like i said,his best years were in cincinatti.he's declining in buffalo.
I am going into this with an open mind. Please make your point with facts, injury is not a valid argument, it happens and when it happens once in nine years?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I am going into this with an open mind. Please make your point with facts, injury is not a valid argument, it happens and when it happens once in nine years?

ok Dr. gr8slayer.i guess TKO is back and better than ever. :up:

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
ok Dr. gr8slayer.i guess TKO is back and better than ever. :up:
See now your just being immature and looking for an out. I am open minded and am interested in what you have to say, but saying that a single injury is a good reason to say that he is on the decline is asinine.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:07 PM
See now your just being immature and looking for an out. I am open minded and am interested in what you have to say, but saying that a single injury is a good reason to say that he is on the decline is asinine.

read my other post.

you're dismissed....

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Is Clinton Portis on the decline because he was injured? Edge tore his ACL his third year in the league. Jamal Lewis almost broke the rushing record four years after he tore his ACL. McNabb has been injured off and on his whole career, is he a bad player because of it?

gr8slayer
read my other post.

you're dismissed....
The one that states no facts as to why he is on the decline?

SABURZFAN
injury is not a valid argument

go tell that to Op about shockey then. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM

(doing my gr8slayer impression) why??i want facts.injuries are not a valid answer.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:20 PM

injuries isn't valid to some people.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:21 PM

can you prove that with facts?some people would like to know why you say that?

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:22 PM

can you prove that with facts?remember,injuries is not a valid answer.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:23 PM

You think? LOL!

can you prove it with facts?injuries can't be a reason.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM

ask for the facts. :up:

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
That is fine you made a comment that you didnt think about before you typed it and now you realize that it was a statement that was not backed up by facts and an inaccurate one at that. You can continue on your childish ways now and insult people.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 08:06 PM
That is fine you made a comment that you didnt think about before you typed it and now you realize that it was a statement that was not backed up by facts and an inaccurate one at that. You can continue on your childish ways now and insult people.

it's just totally amazing that you just can't let it go because i don't think in a sheep-like way to satisfy your need for an answer.and as for insults,you're the one who insulted me.

Crisis
09-29-2006, 08:09 PM
How are his best days in Cincinnati when his 2 best seasons as a pro were in Buffalo??

Bling
09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Teddy Bruschi
Shaun Alexander
Takeo Spikes
Michael Vick
Joey Porter
Randy Moss
Daunte Culpepper
Jason Taylor
Ray Lewis
Larry Johnson
Antwaan Randle El
Joe Horn
Edgerrin James

Bling
09-29-2006, 08:16 PM
The whole damn Bears team...
Brad Childress (I know he's just a coach)
Brett Favre

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 08:28 PM
How are his best days in Cincinnati when his 2 best seasons as a pro were in Buffalo??

yes.he had two great seasons in buffalo.as for his best 2 seasons,that can be argued extensively.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4278/career;_ylt=AgegTDYDll0BoLMXtJX.pc_.uLYF

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
How many games did he miss in his nine year career before this injury?

one

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Is Clinton Portis on the decline because he was injured? Edge tore his ACL his third year in the league. Jamal Lewis almost broke the rushing record four years after he tore his ACL. McNabb has been injured off and on his whole career, is he a bad player because of it?

i think spikes' injury was more severe than an ACL.

next.....

Bling
09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
The highest amount of tackles in Spikes career? 128

Zach Thomas has had 8 seasons where he's had more, and 1 where he tied it. He still managed to smoke Spikes in 2003-2005 despite never playing a full season for any of those.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Zach Thomas has had 8 seasons where he's had more, and 1 where he tied it. He still managed to smoke Spikes in 2003-2005 despite never playing a full season for any of those.

this is where you're gonna get jumped on about sacks,INT's,pass deflections,etc...just warning you.

Bling
09-29-2006, 08:50 PM
this is where you're gonna get jumped on about sacks,INT's,pass deflections,etc...just warning you.

That's where people go blind.

Only 1 season where Spikes has had more than 3 sacks. Besides that, they both are consistently at or below 3 sacks. Not exactly game changing. The only category Spikes kills Thomas is in INTs.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 09:00 PM
That's where people go blind.

Only 1 season where Spikes has had more than 3 sacks. Besides that, they both are consistently at or below 3 sacks. Not exactly game changing. The only category Spikes kills Thomas is in INTs.

if thomas had suffered the same injury that spikes did and i said that he was declining,the majority of the people on here would agree with me too.

X-Era
09-29-2006, 09:16 PM
I will split it up to make it easier my obvious choice is MICHAEL Vick for Offense
My Defensive Pick is Lavar Arrington all the money this guy gets and u never hear or see him do anything

Curious to eveyone elses opinion

I guess u can also make a point for who is the most over hyped before he did anything in the NFL too, my guy on offense would be Roy Williams WR DET and DEF would have to be jonathan sullivan DT NO

Tom Brady hands down.

Crisis
09-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Zach doesn't play on the outside last I checked.

Look at all these tackle stats-

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133392

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3160

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/416752

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396004

I guess they suck too.

Crisis
09-29-2006, 09:52 PM
There's a difference between declining and suffering a career-ending injury.

gr8slayer
09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
i think spikes' injury was more severe than an ACL.

next.....
Same injury T.O. had. I'd say T.O. has recovered pretty well.

SABURZFAN
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Same injury T.O. had. I'd say T.O. has recovered pretty well.

when was this?link please....

feelthepain
09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Same injury T.O. had. I'd say T.O. has recovered pretty well. TO broke a bone, bones heal relatively quickly. If I'm not mistaken, Spikes tore his achillies, thats a lot worse then an ACL, because the ACL is in the knee and you can recover near 100% from an ACL, especially these days. The Achillies is in the foot, and they are much tougher to come back from depending on how bad the tear is and especially if you have to plant and run at full speed. I don't think TKO is missing games due to his hammy, I think it's the injury from last year, and he's still not back from the issues with it yet. JMO.

I feel for Bill fans on this one, I hated TKO, but only because he is a Bill. I think he's one of the top LB's in the league and I respect his obvious talents. Sorry guy's, maybe he'll be ready soon.

im4bflo
09-29-2006, 11:33 PM
VICK

BADTHINGSMAN
09-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Vick, Arrington have to be tops..

Typ0
09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
When TKO was in cincinatti the bengals were pathetic. Their organization was horrible and all they did was screw up the draft and fail to get FA that helped the team. He turned and came here in our darkest days but had faith the quality of our organization would put it together. There was very little defensive talent when he first got here and the defense got better. There was a lot of offensive talent and they have just gotten worse. TKO was in a good position as a very athetic player to pump up his stats while on these teams. Unfortunately, today it's the bengals who really have a shot at a title not us. It's too bad for TKO he wasn't on the Bengals last season and this season.