PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bill Simmons (The sports guy) on Buffalo and JP

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
ESPN Columnist Bill Simmons, while counting down his power list of NFL teams from worst-to-first (he had Buffalo 24 right now) said this about JP Losman.

"24. Buffalo, 1-2
You gotta love J.P. Losman lashing out this week: "We don't believe the hype. You guys don't understand. We don't care what you are saying, what people are saying about our team, whether it's good or bad. We don't read it. We don't care. It doesn't matter to us. We're going to play hard every week and prepare to win every week no matter what it is. We're going to play hard. I don't care if they talk about us on TV. It doesn't matter. That's not why we're playing this game."

Um, take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while?
=====================
Funny

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
If "we" didn't care, "we" I mean he, wouldnt be talking about it.

And he must read it if he's talking about it.

patmoran2006
09-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey..at least he's not using Yoda quotes yet this year.

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Um, take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while?
Obviously he took offense since JP was targeting media people like himself.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Obviously he took offense since JP was targeting media people like himself.

How would JP know what the media is saying? JP clearly just said they don't read it. So is JP a liar?

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
How would JP know what the media is saying? JP clearly just said they don't read it. So is JP a liar?
So if the tree has fallen in the woods and nobody hears it, did it still fall?

Mudflap1
09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
He's right. Win a bunch of games. Until then, take it like a man.

Jon

Jeff1220
09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
He was obviously responding to a question from the media about something the media said. Is it that hard to understand?

Also, I love Bill Simmons' articles. He's way funny, but very much a Pats/Sox/Boston homer. He has every reason to be biased against the Bills/NY. His opinion about Buffalo/NY sports means nothing to me.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
So if the tree has fallen in the woods and nobody hears it, did it still fall?

Nobody is claiming they didn't hear the tree fall , JP clearly just said "we" don't read what the media has to say.

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
He's right. Win a bunch of games. Until then, take it like a man.

Jon
I agree. Same goes for Saban.

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Nobody is claiming they didn't hear the tree fall , JP clearly just said "we" don't read what the media has to say.
Exactly. JP is clearly claiming that he didn't hear the tree fall.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Exactly. JP is clearly claiming that he didn't hear the tree fall.

Then how does he not believe the Hype? He must be hearing somethinng.

bigbub2352
09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I am glad he shows emotion up there at least if anything u can see he takes his team to heart i dont blame him for lashing out we wants to win and be better cant blame him for that

Mudflap1
09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree. Same goes for Saban.

Agreed.

Jon

Kelly The Dog
09-29-2006, 05:00 PM
He said, clearly, and he meant, clearly, that it doesn't matter whether the media loves or hates him/them, is ragging on him/them or is jumping on the bandwagon, it doesn't mean anything, they practice and play the same. It's a pretty simple concept, and he said it very clearly. It doesn't mean he pays attention to his press clippings, good or bad, or that he reads, or knows, or cares what they are saying. It means he doesn't care. And it's a lack of reading comprehension if one assumes he must read and care or he wouldn't know about it. He doesn't live in a vaccuum. He knows stories are being written every day. What he is saying is that the team is not going to believe the hype if they're winning and they're not going to believe the doom and gloom if they're losing. They are just going to try hard to win.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2006, 05:04 PM
He said, clearly, and he meant, clearly, that it doesn't matter whether the media loves or hates him/them, is ragging on him/them or is jumping on the bandwagon, it doesn't mean anything, they practice and play the same. It's a pretty simple concept, and he said it very clearly. .

But how does he know what they are saying , good or bad, when he says he doesn't read it?

Kelly The Dog
09-29-2006, 05:10 PM
But how does he know what they are saying , good or bad, when he says he doesn't read it?
Ummmm... he doesn't have to. And it doesn't imply that he does know. Because it's usually one or the other? Because in general terms, the press is going to be positive when they win, and negative when they lose? How hard is that to figure out? And because even if it is a little of both, he is going to feel the EXACT same way, that it doesn't matter what they say or print or talk about, we have a job to do and we're going to concentrate on that job?

Tatonka
09-29-2006, 05:26 PM

um.. did you hear the interview? they asked him for a response to the things the media says about the team ect..

his answer does not make him a liar.

but your post makes you dumb.

:up:

Kelly The Dog
09-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Also, what is lost in this foolish criticism, is the question he was asked. The reporter said, "Does it bring you down to earth a little bit. Because the talk around town was that you could be 2-1..." And JP said, no. What you guys don't understand is that we don't care what the talk is. And he mentioned both the media and the people around town. He wasn't badmouthing anyone for having an opinion, or for criticizing anything. He even said we don't care about the hype before he said something about we don't care about the bad stuff. All he meant is that writers write, fans watch and read and talk, and players play. That's it. It doesn't matter what the writers write and what the fans read and discuss, the players play the same way. It's the same thing as a coach telling you don't get too high and don't get too low. Or you're never as good or as bad as your press. he wasn't even criticizing anyone anywhere. Except, perhaps, the writers that think they are so self-important that they can determine if a player plays well or poorly by what they write.

Typ0
09-29-2006, 05:30 PM

many of your posts are really stupid. People can tell what the media is saying about them just by the types of questions they ask. "so and so said your troubles are because WM is a schmuck...would you like to comment on that?"

Inetpub
09-29-2006, 05:31 PM
ESPN Columnist Bill Simmons, while counting down his power list of NFL teams from worst-to-first (he had Buffalo 24 right now) said this about JP Losman.

"24. Buffalo, 1-2
You gotta love J.P. Losman lashing out this week: "We don't believe the hype. You guys don't understand. We don't care what you are saying, what people are saying about our team, whether it's good or bad. We don't read it. We don't care. It doesn't matter to us. We're going to play hard every week and prepare to win every week no matter what it is. We're going to play hard. I don't care if they talk about us on TV. It doesn't matter. That's not why we're playing this game."

First off, What did Bill Simmons say about JP? All I see is that he loved JP's quote on how its ok for the Bills to lose games even though they are trying. Everything there is what JP said. I'll tell you as a fan of the Bills I really love seeing them put a product on the field that doesnt have a chance of winning. Its an awesome recipe and should keep fans coming back for centuries. Why didnt any Sports GODS/ANALYSTS ever think that losing teams can make everyone happy? It sure makes this forum sing Kumbuya daily.

LOL