PDA

View Full Version : I said that Losman has to show me that he can win the game...

Thurmal
10-01-2006, 05:47 PM
and that is just what he did.

He managed the game great.

He resorted to the run only when he had to -- and he was great doing so.

He protected the ball and made the throws he had to make.

It was a perfect game for him to have after the mistakes he made last week. Twelve starts in, and you can see that he is starting to "get it."

YardRat
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Best performance by JP to date. He looked and played like an NFL QB today. A successful NFL QB, that is.

SABURZFAN
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
he's making great strides in his progress.being that he's green,he will make mistakes.

Thurmal
10-01-2006, 05:54 PM
That being said, I wish that our coaching staff would let him air it out a little more, particularly to Evans.

SABURZFAN
10-01-2006, 05:59 PM
That being said, I wish that our coaching staff would let him air it out a little more, particularly to Evans.

that'll all happen when we establish the running game on a consistant basis.

Michael82
10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Good post! I love what I see from this kid. He is really growing each week and is starting to show signs of a pretty damn good QB. :bf1:

LtBillsFan66
10-02-2006, 01:27 PM

That impressed me the most. He seems less panicked and more in control.

BillsFever21
10-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Who was the guy a few weeks ago that wanted to see these things from JP...

A 300 yd passing game

And for JP to carry the team on his shoulders to victory. He did just that on Sunday.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
at this point I'd have to say he's about a year away from our really being able to tell if he's the saviour or not. The reason I say that is the mental aspect. We need to see him have some setbacks once he gets going and quickly be able to dog them off.

BillsFever21
10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
at this point I'd have to say he's about a year away from our really being able to tell if he's the saviour or not. The reason I say that is the mental aspect. We need to see him have some setbacks once he gets going and quickly be able to dog them off.

He sure forgot about them 3 TO's last week to play a great game this week and put the team on his shoulders.

SABURZFAN
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Good post! I love what I see from this kid.

kid???you aren't much older,old man. :snicker:

X-Era
10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
and that is just what he did.

He managed the game great.

He protected the ball and made the throws he had to make.

It was a perfect game for him to have after the mistakes he made last week. Twelve starts in, and you can see that he is starting to "get it."

amazing what patience will do.

Billick stole a learning from Bill Walsh who said you dont know how good a QB is gonna be till AT LEAST 30 starts. I believe thats true

Typ0
10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
He sure forgot about them 3 TO's last week to play a great game this week and put the team on his shoulders.

true...but I think there is more too it than that. More precisely, I would hate to think his play last week was in response to the turnovers. I want to see good play every week...consistently good play. A bad game is simply forgotten and you move on to the next good game. It's not a matter of responding to things like turnovers it's a matter of mentally being in the moment and performing well at all times.

In another thread you mentioned how we need killer instinct. The trick is to develop a frame of mind to be in when you begin the game. You go through a warm up process every week. The same warm up process. And you are in that frame of mind when the game starts. It's the same frame of mind every week and that's how you play the game. That's what we need to see from all our players...and our leader definately has to have it. JP needs to demonstrate he can prepare that way. I'm happy with his play...he's worked on his accuracy now he has to work on efficiency. It's funny but I tell that to students all the time..and it's true. First you figure out how to do it...then you work on your speed doing it.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
incidently, what I write here is a big part of why it takes time to develop. It's why that old addage "the game is 95% mental" is very accurate.

Mitchy moo
10-02-2006, 04:50 PM
JP got his head out of his *** pretty fast and threw some lasers yesterday, real nice bounce back, Gameball to JP.

Thurmal
10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I think now, with him showing that he can manage a game, he needs to be given a little more freedom. Those eight minute drives were fantastic, but I really think they could have put the game away (something they still have a major problem with) if the coaching staff had allowed JP to try to put the nail in the coffin when they were up by 11 in the fourth rather than just play time-control and put it all on the defense.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
on the other hand, it's kind of silly to be airing it out at that point since an incomplete pass stops the clock. A running play can chew up 3/4 of a minute.

Thurmal
10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
on the other hand, it's kind of silly to be airing it out at that point since an incomplete pass stops the clock. A running play can chew up 3/4 of a minute.
I know. I do agree with this way of thinking completely, but I also wonder if maybe it's time this team started to play to win rather than not to lose.

Also, despite their great play, I don't trust our defense to make a stop when the game's on the line. They have developed a habit the last couple of years of breaking down in key moments.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 11:29 PM
I know. I do agree with this way of thinking completely, but I also wonder if maybe it's time this team started to play to win rather than not to lose.

Also, despite their great play, I don't trust our defense to make a stop when the game's on the line. They have developed a habit the last couple of years of breaking down in key moments.

you don't think doing everything to chew up the clock is playing to win? I do.

Spiderweb
10-03-2006, 12:21 AM
incidently, what I write here is a big part of why it takes time to develop. It's why that old addage "the game is 95% mental" is very accurate.

Yogi Berra - ".............and 50% physical." (?)