Does Mularkey have a brother coaching in San Diego?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Does Mularkey have a brother coaching in San Diego?

The Chargers were up 13-7 with a little over 3 minutes left to play and they take an INTENTIONAL SAFETY? What kind of stupid call was that? Not only did you just give the opposing team 2 points, but then you kick the ball to them.

Der da dur

Needless to say, McNair marched the Ravens downfield and with the help of Todd Heap, the Ravens go on to beat the Chargers 16-13.
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: Does Mularkey have a bother coaching in San Diego?

Ive seen that a few times. I dont know how much time was left but the idea is if your ahead by more then 6 points or better you take the safety to get out of the endzone. You then get to punt it away.

Honestly with SD's defense they were probably confident they could stick them and win the game.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

It’s a semi smart play... the thought is, with a punt from inside your own 5, the punter is "closer" to the L.O.S. then he would be normally, and therefore it's easier to block. (note: I've not seen the play, I’m assuming it was done because they’re trying to punt from inside their 5)

The idea is, you eat the 2 points, thinking that the block will give them 6 (7)... which in a close game means the ravens are up 14-13.

I thought it an unusually conservative move... but one that makes sense if your special teams have been having difficulty blocking all game.

Not to mention, a solid punt puts the ravens on your own 45-50, only a few yards from serious scoring range, while a free kick, might pin them back to their 30.

It’s a strategy I’d never intentionally implement (like allowing an opposing team to score to save time); but I would teach my punter to take the safety over the block if everything goes to heck.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Hey it worked a couple years back for Belichick. That's one of those things where if it works you are a genius, if it doesnt you are the worst coach in the league for a week.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

I can see all of that, I guess. I'd rather take my chances punting the ball away. At least if the Ravens had blocked it and recovered it for the TD, you still get the ball back and 3 minutes with a 2 minute warning on your side. Instead, they not only give away points, they're giving up the football.

Comment

• odin
            • Aug 2006

Re: Does Mularkey have a brother coaching in San Diego?

It was the right call to gain extra field position for the defense. Ravens needed to score a TD no matter what. It would have backfired though if the Chargers got back into field goal position.

Comment

Working...
            X