PDA

View Full Version : Time to give Donahoe credit

IAG
10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Bills fans need to give credit to Tom Donahoe and his personel decisions he made. While people love the young pups from this draft, the guys making the plays are Donohoe players/projects. Crowell, Fletcher, McGahee, Losman, Peters, Gandy, Denney, Schobel...even the recommedation to bring in Bobby April.

Yes, yes, yes, the he blew two coaching hires and had questionable decision making when selecting a QB. Ultimately, they did not win on his watch and he is out. However, do not mistake that this team is producing with players drafted or signed with the previous GM and President.

ICE74129
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
I hope Donahoe smokes a turd in hell.

JJamezz
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Neato! Mort posts on billszone!

:wave:

casdhf
10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Ya gotta kinda agree ... Donahoe did what he was supposed to do, get us out of hell. Luckily he was canned before he put us back in it.

Novacane
10-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I give him credit. He brought in a lot of good players. He'd still be here if he knew how to hire a head coach.

HHURRICANE
10-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Bills fans need to give credit to Tom Donahoe and his personel decisions he made. While people love the young pups from this draft, the guys making the plays are Donohoe players/projects. Crowell, Fletcher, McGahee, Losman, Peters, Gandy, Denney, Schobel...even the recommedation to bring in Bobby April.

Yes, yes, yes, the he blew two coaching hires and had questionable decision making when selecting a QB. Ultimately, they did not win on his watch and he is out. However, do not mistake that this team is producing with players drafted or signed with the previous GM and President.

I can't believe that your only at (-974) with these kind of excellent posts. Let me help you out.:negrep:

X-Era
10-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Fine, lets not mistake that Levy is the one who brought in our best HC since Marv, and O and D systems that are working well right out of the gate.

Lets not also forget that Levy and Modrak drafted 4 players who are starting and playing well. Donahoe NEVER had a draft class that has produced this much this early

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I hope Donahoe smokes a turd in hell.

Ice, dude, you gotta reel it in a bit.

Novacane
10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Fine, lets not mistake that Levy is the one who brought in our best HC since Marv, and O and D systems that are working well right out of the gate.

Lets not also forget that Levy and Modrak drafted 4 players who are starting and playing well. Donahoe NEVER had a draft class that has produced this much this early

Who are the 4 players?

X-Era
10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Who are the 4 players?

Simpson, Whitner, Ellison, and McCargo/Williams you pick. Yes, you can argue that Williams/McCargo dont start but since they rotate so much they are virtually starting

YardRat
10-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Too bad they couldn't produce while he was here. It took a different GM and a head coach not hired by him to get his guys to play to their potential.

Maybe the next time Donahoe secures a job as GM, if there ever is a next time, he won't be such a dumb-ass about his coaches or his lines. Or his safeties for that matter.

Typ0
10-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I gave him some credit...should have hired someone other than Mularkey though.

ICE74129
10-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Ice, dude, you gotta reel it in a bit.LOL I just want to express my thoughts on ol Tom

IAG
10-02-2006, 05:42 AM
3/5 of the line are guys he brought in. Are you telling me that Tutan Reyes and Mel Fowler are the difference this season? Lol. I just think that Bills fans who are hammering Tom need to remember that he may have selected a a solid QB, a franchise RB and a #1 WR. Also, those guys who can run on defense are mostly his selections. Believe it.

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2006, 06:12 AM
John Fox
Lovie Smith
Romeo Crennell
Charlie Weiss
Jack Del Rio

These are all coaches that TD could've hired, instead of the ****** he hired. I'm sure more could be added to that list.

IAG
10-02-2006, 06:31 AM
You need to look at my intial statement. He failed on his coaching hires. However, in terms of personel decisions, he is outstanding. He did well in Pitt selecting players too. Ward, Porter and stealing Bettis from the Rams.

X-Era
10-02-2006, 06:34 AM
John Fox
Lovie Smith
Romeo Crennell
Charlie Weiss
Jack Del Rio

These are all coaches that TD could've hired, instead of the ****** he hired. I'm sure more could be added to that list.

You forgot Marvin Lewis.

jmb1099
10-02-2006, 07:02 AM
He brought in some decent players, he also brought insome really lousy ones (Mike Williams comes to mind)
He gets marginal credit and nothing more

IAG
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Decent players...the guys you all laud are from his drafts/free agency periods. What GM does not have a brutal 1st round pick on his resume?

mysticsoto
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM

He did bring in some good people. Personnel on the team was his strong point. Except for the 2002 draft, he has generally picked pretty well even with undrafted agents. Of course, coaching is what he failed at - obviously. He also deserves credit for good negotiations. We got a 1st rd pick for trading Peerless Price who didn't realize back then that he really wasn't a #1 WR. We also got a good pick for Travis Henry and we got Sam Adams really cheap and Takeo for a very decent price.

BillsFever21
10-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Some people have so much hate for the guy that they won't give him any credit for anything.

For the guy who talked about Jauron being great. He hasn't proved anything yet. We haven't even beat a great team yet. We beat 2 average at best teams and let them hang around when it should've been blowouts.

We also let the Jets beat us at home. We also gave away the Patriots game.

Many thought we hit the jackpot with Mularkey a few years ago too after a 9-7 season. Even GW had a good improvement and lead us to 8-8 when nobody expected it. The moral to this is that Jauron hasn't proved anything yet. At one time it looked like both of them guys were gonna be good too.

And for the guy who gloated about our 4 rookies playing and asked if Donahoe ever produced a draft calls with 4 rookies starting and doing well.

For starters these rookies are doing decent. They are far from setting the world on fire yet. Just yesterday Whitner got beat silly by Robinson that would've cost us the game if he made the catch.

Which brings me to this draft class of Donahoe's...

Nate Clements
Aaron Schobel
Travis Henry
Jonas Jennings

All 4 of them guys started as rookies and played great. Two of them are still with this team and leading this defense. Henry he ended up getting back a 3rd round pick for him after we got McGahee.

That 2001 draft class was awesome. It has been our best class in years. This one is doing good but hasn't nearly lived up to this class yet after 4 games.

We also got good contributions from Ron Edwards at times in the rotation.

Donahoe has built the foundation for this team. When he came here there was nothing. We were basically an expansion team and he built this roster from the ground up to what it is today.

Donahoe didn't come to this team with the stars and foundation that Levy joined it with. Donahoe set the foundation but he screwed up with the HC.

And don't give me guys like Henry Jones, John Holicek, Rogers and others as stars. Them guys were old and shells of their former self. They faded away from the NFL after they were released upon his arrival.

He had Pat Williams and Eric Moulds and that's it. Give the guy some credit. There is a good foundation of great young players that he brought in that's still here.

And while the head coaches failed he was also the guy who brought in McNally and Bobby April who are still on this staff and crucial parts to the staff. He also hired a guy named Steve Fairchild and gave him his first opportunity who just happens to be our OC.

So don't be blinded by your overall general hate for the guy and discredit him for not doing anything good. He made great player decisions and we will be benefiting from that for years after his departure.

Historian
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't exactly see anyone breaking down the door for his services, lol.

Michael82
10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't exactly see anyone breaking down the door for his services, lol.
:hi5: