Remember how Sam Wyche, Tom Clements and Mularkey were going to fix jp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Remember how Sam Wyche, Tom Clements and Mularkey were going to fix jp??

Sam Wyche worked with esiason and montana. He was supposed to do wonders for jp. Clements and Mularkey supposedly fixed kordell stewart short term and were made out to be geniuses for taking a qb like stewart and making him look like a pro bowl qb. Three guys couldn't get it right. Forward to buffalo, jp's first year, broken leg. Jp's second year? Passed around from the bench to the field like a doobie by the coaching staff. Third year? Enter Steve Fairchild. Whatever he's said and done to Jp, it's working. Maybe it's not just his philosophies, but the offensive scheme as well. Jp is a different qb this season. In today's game, he was just about flawless. He didn't turn the ball over, which is something dj and co. have to be very happy about. It seems that Marv brought in the right guy to fix jp, and it's funny how this guy was once our running backs coach when GW was here. After so many years of qb-oc dissapointments, it seems this team has finally found a good combination that will be successful for years to come.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: Remember how Sam Wyche, Tom Clements and Mularkey were going to fix jp??

i have a strong feeling sam had far more impact on jp than you realize

if i plant a seed and you come by just when it sprouts does that make you a hoe
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead

very well said.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Don't discount Alex Van Pelt either. He's was spending a lot of time with JP this offseason and training camp.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Yeah he had a BAD one on him.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

JP clearly has the drive, the hunger, the humility, and the right attitude. He worked hard in the offseason, watching films with Ron Jaworski, and seeking help wherever he could. Everyone who mentored him along the way has had an impact on him.

Kudos to Jauron and Marv for setting JP up for success.

Comment

• North_Coast
              • Jun 2006

I think that Sam Wyche is probably the guy who's responsible for JP being able to read defenses pretty well this season, but I think it's Turk Schoenert and Alex Van Pelt who have worked on JP's mechanics which weren't addressed in his previous two years. With JP, in the first couple of preason games, he was throwing the ball hard into the ground at receivers' feet. By the third game it wasn't a problem.

I also think that there's a different attitude on this year's Bills. There's more of a team feeling on this year's squad. It's less "cover your azz" and more "we've got a problem, so let's fix it" which is something that seems to start at the top and flow down.

This doesn't just apply to the QBs, either. My big example: last week against the Jets, Willis wiffed on a blitzing safety, JP fumbled, and the Jets scored a TD. This week, Willis had at least two solid blocks on Vikes players, including one on one of their big linemen. Who said Willis couldn't block?
              The Bills have only had 17 playoff years and 19 winning seasons in 47 years. 9 of those playoff years and 10 of those winning seasons -- and the 4 Super Bowl appearances -- came in the 15 years when Bill Polian and John Butler were Bills GMs ... and Ralph Wilson fired them both.

Comment

• bflojohn
                • Aug 2005

I agree wholeheartedly, they FIXED him alright! The benching for a lesser player (mental toughness) might have set him back a few years, but JPL has demonstrated a strong character and will to succeed! The story on Fairchild, especially from the mouth of JP is that he is coaching him "hard" and really driving ball security and pocket awareness to the point that JP has only 1 INT through 4 games.... pretty impressive. The old coaching staff had "good intentions", but didn't have the same patience that this staff has for a young QB, IMHO!!

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

Why do so many people act shocked when JP doesn't turn the ball over?

It's not as if he was a turnover machine on our pathetic excuse of a team last year for his first stint as a starter last year. And now this year he only has 1 INT through 4 games. That is absolutely amazing. And his lone INT was a desperation INT.

This guy will be a star for years to come. If he continues to play well over the next couple months we should try and sign him to an extension ASAP. He will only get better which will mean more money he will demand which will make it even harder to re-sign him. He only has two more years left after this season and he's just coming into his own this year.

If he keeps progressing we could get him at great value. When he breaks out next season it will be very hard to sign him and cost us a ton of money.

We can't take the chance of losing this kid. If he keeps improving this season wrap him up before the season ends.

Comment

• bflojohn
                    • Aug 2005

Real good point about getting JPL under an extension, however, they would franchise tag him in a heartbeat (maybe sooner!) and generally franchises in this league TEND to lock up young signal-callers WAY before they ever hit the market. Billsfever21, you are right in your premise and I couldn't agree more!!!

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

you know i was lmao when i wrote this and i didnt even get one rofl or nuthin

hoe/ho get it. respect/disrespect. eh forget it

i musta not set it up right or something

and oh no not now its too late
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                      X