PDA

View Full Version : Does TKO put this team into the playoffs?

X-Era
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM
I mean does his presence turn our D into a top 5 D and get us another 3 or 4 wins?

Has his injury cost us any of the past few games?

I feel like TKo back on the field could put us into a "real deal" category. His run D is an bigtime upgrade. His pass D is a bigtime upgrade, and his pass rush of the blitz can be game changing just ask Marcia Brady.

I cant wait for him to get back and Im frustrated he hasnt made back yet. Ithink hes that important

The_Philster
10-02-2006, 07:44 AM
I think we would've won last week with TKO in there

OpIv37
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Honestly, Spikes on the field is worth an extra win or two but he can't apply all the pressure and stop all the runs himself. This D still has issues and the team is still killing themselves with penalties, poor clock management, etc. While I have to admit this team is much more talented than I thought they'd be going into the season, I still don't think it's anywhere close to playoff caliber.

HHURRICANE
10-02-2006, 08:15 AM
NO.

The_Philster
10-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Honestly, Spikes on the field is worth an extra win or two but he can't apply all the pressure and stop all the runs himself. No...but a couple plays here and there that TKO has the ability and knowledge to make still puts him above Ellison. Ellison is looking good so afr, but he's nowhere near TKO's level...and that's not even taking into account the emotional leadership that TKO is better able to provide by being out there making plays.

ICE74129
10-02-2006, 08:27 AM
I am with The Cane, No. No one player is going to make that much difference unless we all of a sudden trade for J Peppers.

In case you missed it Ellison played damn well and is getting better each week.

We are rebuilding, we still need a stud LT and RG. upgrade at LDE etc. When those Moves (plural) then things will start coming together better

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 08:30 AM
With TKO we win at least ten, without him I'm not so sure. People keep saying "no one player." Dont listen to it, you have to have your captain, TKO is our captain, we need someone who the young players (which we have a ton of) are going to look up to and model themselves after.

I've played football for 13 years, I know how much different a team plays with, and without their captain.

OpIv37
10-02-2006, 08:35 AM
With TKO we win at least ten, without him I'm not so sure. People keep saying "no one player." Dont listen to it, you have to have your captain, TKO is our captain, we need someone who the young players (which we have a ton of) are going to look up to and model themselves after.

I've played football for 13 years, I know how much different a team plays with, and without their captain.

putting TKO on the field won't get rid of 14 penalties, it won't make the coaches run the ball on 3rd and 1 with a minute and a half to go in the half, it won't make the OL be able to run block in the red zone....

SABURZFAN
10-02-2006, 08:36 AM
how the hell does he put us in the playoffs when he can't even get on the field?i think the achilles injury is still bothering him.

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2006, 08:40 AM
how the hell does he put us in the playoffs when he can't even get on the field?i think the achilles injury is still bothering him.

I have to agree. I think they are playing it off as a hammy, but I'd bet his achilles is still not right.

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 08:42 AM
putting TKO on the field won't get rid of 14 penalties, it won't make the coaches run the ball on 3rd and 1 with a minute and a half to go in the half, it won't make the OL be able to run block in the red zone....
Offense has it's own problems, one of our biggest problems was fixed yesterday when Villareal went down and Preston stepped in, Preston is going to be a good player and I for one have been waiting for this day for quite sometime. Problem number one FIXED.

Running the ball on 3rd and 1. Op had they run and not made it you would be wondering why they didnt pass it, the sky is not always falling.

Red Zone problems are going to happen untill Losman finds someone he is comfortable throwing too in a tight area. I thought for sure that we would have kept Nance to help us improve our Red Zone play but for some odd reason he is gone.

TKO returning will not hurt any of this.

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 08:42 AM
I think the initial question was when he does return.

SABURZFAN
10-02-2006, 08:44 AM

he gives our defense a figure who can step up and punch an offense in their eye though.that's what they need right now.

SABURZFAN
10-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I think the initial question was when he does return.

he looks to be a big IF right now.

OpIv37
10-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Offense has it's own problems, one of our biggest problems was fixed yesterday when Villareal went down and Preston stepped in, Preston is going to be a good player and I for one have been waiting for this day for quite sometime. Problem number one FIXED.

Running the ball on 3rd and 1. Op had they run and not made it you would be wondering why they didnt pass it, the sky is not always falling.

Red Zone problems are going to happen untill Losman finds someone he is comfortable throwing too in a tight area. I thought for sure that we would have kept Nance to help us improve our Red Zone play but for some odd reason he is gone.

TKO returning will not hurt any of this.

if they ran and didn't make it, I would wonder why we can't get one friggin yard on the ground. That was a bad coaching call that gave the vikings 3 points.

And you stated my point exactly- TKO won't hurt any of that but he won't HELP it either. This team has problems that TKO can't fix on his own.

And I'm glad Preston's getting his chance because Villarial clearly sucks, but Preston hasn't exactly looked great and couldn't beat out Villiarial in camp and preseason. So, while it could be good, I don't know where you get so much faith that it will make an instant positive difference.

ICE74129
10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
he gives our defense a figure who can step up and punch an offense in their eye though.that's what they need right now. Can he? Physically and mentally can he still do that? I think it has finally hit him he won't ever be 100% of what he was. Now he has a hammy on top of everything else.

I still think he is a good player, don't get me wrong, but fans are unrealistic if they think he is going to be the TKO of old again.

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
he looks to be a big IF right now.
Either way I'm glad he isnt rushing it cause if it happens again I'm not so sure he will ever play again.

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
So, while it could be good, I don't know where you get so much faith that it will make an instant positive difference.
Playing football all my life I know what a difference one player CAN make on a whole team, from Offense all the way down to the PS.

Tatonka
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
i think that we easily could have won both the new england game (his early impact was clearly obvious, and the fact that we had to rush a rookie in there after haggan fell on his face hurt us for sure) and the jets game.. ellison played solid in that game, but did not make any plays.. and that was a game that was won because of two fumbles the jets got.. if the bills could have got some of that big play/pressure.. we could have/should have won that game clearly, just based on how badly we outperformed them offensively.

so while one guy doesnt make a team, his addition to our D could spark a few extra big plays.. and since i expect to be in all of the games we play this year, that could be what puts us over the top.

Dr. Lecter
10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
The 3rd and 1 call was not bad. It was, unfortanetly, one JP's few bad passes as he otherthrew an open receiver ( I think it was Price)

OpIv37
10-02-2006, 09:08 AM
The 3rd and 1 call was not bad. It was, unfortanetly, one JP's few bad passes as he otherthrew an open receiver ( I think it was Price)

it was a bad call. If we run the ball successfully, we have a new set of downs to work with. If we run and fail, we take time off the clock so if we miss the FG, they don't have time to come back and score.

I don't know how you can say it wasn't a bad call when it lead directly to 3 points by the Vikings.

gr8slayer
10-02-2006, 09:08 AM
It happens, even to the best of them. Manning wasnt on fire yesterday either.

Dr. Lecter
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
it was a bad call. If we run the ball successfully, we have a new set of downs to work with. If we run and fail, we take time off the clock so if we miss the FG, they don't have time to come back and score.

I don't know how you can say it wasn't a bad call when it lead directly to 3 points by the Vikings.

It wasn't a bad call because the WR was openand it should have been completed.

Running every time on 3rd and 1 is not the answer either.

OpIv37
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
It wasn't a bad call because the WR was openand it should have been completed.

Running every time on 3rd and 1 is not the answer either.

Didn't we run Mularkey and Gilbride out of town for not running on 3rd and 1?

Not to mention that in this particular instance, taking time off the clock would have worked to our advantage. You don't run on 3rd and 1 every time, but when time is a factor, you DO. If we get the first, spike the ball to stop the clock or call time out. If not, the Vikings have no time to score. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yeah, the players could have executed better and then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but that shouldn't get the coaches off the hook.

The_Philster
10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Didn't we run Mularkey and Gilbride out of town for not running on 3rd and 1? .They waited about 12 games into the season to run of 3rd and 1 even once, though. Passing out of it is ok sometimes...but not to the extent they were doing it.

bflojohn
10-03-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm not so sure that the hammy injury might have slowed TKO up enough to allow his achilles problem to rest and heal even more. My feeling is that his return does amp-up the "D" and allows Perry Fewell to play a more agressive style than he has been unable to do so far. For me, I'll use an old example.... Cornelius Bennett was like the elixir of life for Bruce Smith back in 1987. The whole unit took on a dominant trait that really carried on for nearly a decade. One player, in this example sure made a huge difference. Now before EVERYONE tells me that Bennett didn't have the same curcumstances, yes I know, but Takeo Spikes is a dynamic player and, I, for one, am hoping he returns whole! Lastly, I hope the Bills don't rush him back before his hammy is 100%, that would cause him to relapse, and then he is done for the year. I'll settle for half a season of big plays... Thank you!