X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

How about that BS Fair Catch Call

Doesn't the guy need to make an attempt to catch the ball? We got robbed there.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: How about that BS Fair Catch Call

he also gave an invalid fair catch signal, which also should have been a penalty.

I'm not sure how we can interfere with the fair catch when no one is actually trying to catch the ball.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

he was 5 yards off of the ball when he "supposedly" called for the fair catch.regardless,Special Teams play was horrible for both teams yesterday.
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
        he also gave an invalid fair catch signal, which also should have been a penalty.

I'm not sure how we can interfere with the fair catch when no one is actually trying to catch the ball.
        Yeah that too. That was a Saban'esque fair catch signal.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

That was really BS. I thought fair catch int was hitting someone trying to catch the ball. He was not even going to get there in time to catch the ball.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
            Yeah that too. That was a Saban'esque fair catch signal.
            We got Sabaned.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

It was complete BS. I couldn't figure out why that play wasn't reviewed. The guy that did wave his arm did it half-ass, and the he was moving away from the football. If that had been done downfield by the return man, Minnesota would have been penalized.

Comment

• gil
                • Mar 2005

by the logic of that call - if a player getting ready to receive an onside kick simply waves for a fair catch and the other team recovers, the person who recovers it will be guilty of interference.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                  by the logic of that call - if a player getting ready to receive an onside kick simply waves for a fair catch and the other team recovers, the person who recovers it will be guilty of interference.
                  Logically, yes. But the way the play went down was a guy that was not the return man raised his hand like a kid sitting in the back of the classroom who just shat his pants and didn't want to draw too much attention to himself. On top of that he wasn't even in a position to field the ball and was moving away from it.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Terrible call. I think we can all agree. On another board, someone made the point that a team expecting an onsides kick need only have all eleven players wave for a fair catch and the kicking team would have to stand still until the ball was touched.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Jan 2004

here's the play

R.Lindell kicks 37 yards from BUF 30 to MIN 33, fair catch by E.Henderson. Kick actually caught by Buffalo K. Thomas at MIN33.
                      PENALTY on BUF-K.Thomas, Interference with Opportunity to Catch, 15 yards, enforced between downs.
                      The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

i think the player giving the fair catch signal has to be in a position to catch the ball otherwise its an illegal fair catch signal

you could argue the minny player wasnt close enough to actually catch it but he was only a couple yards away when the ball was caught by the bills player. thats close enough to be a valid even if borderline judgment call

therefore as much as i hate it i would say the call was valid
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Fair Catch
                          1. The member of the receiving team must raise one arm a full length above his head and wave it from side to side while kick is in flight. (Failure to give proper sign: receivers’ ball five yards behind spot of signal.) Note: It is legal for the receiver to shield his eyes from the sun by raising one hand no higher than the helmet.

2. No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

3. A player who signals for a fair catch is not required to catch the ball. However, if a player signals for a fair catch, he may not block or initiate contact with any player on the kicking team until the ball touches a player. Penalty: snap 15 yards.

4. If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

5. Any undue advance by a fair catch receiver is delay of game. No specific distance is specified for undue advance as ball is dead at spot of catch. If player comes to a reasonable stop, no penalty. For penalty, five yards.

6. If time expires while ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, placekicker may not use tee.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                            • Sep 2003

Are we talking about the kickoff or the punt? There's no such thing as a fair catch on a kickoff, that's why you can have an onside kick. All kickoffs are "live balls" and it only needs to travel 10 yards. Kickoffs are free for for alls.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                              Are we talking about the kickoff or the punt? There's no such thing as a fair catch on a kickoff, that's why you can have an onside kick. All kickoffs are "live balls" and it only needs to travel 10 yards. Kickoffs are free for for alls.
                              Kickoff.

There are faircatches on kickoffs.

There usually isn't faircatches on onsides kicks because the ball is bounced off the turf.

My point is the guy 1) didn't really signal like they are supposed to (I can even remeber a few years ago Nate getting a penalty for not waiving the proper way) and 2) the guy didn't make an attempt at the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X