PDA

View Full Version : I like what I'm seeing at times from our team but...

BillsFever21
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
This team and especially the coaching staff needs to develop a killer mentality and learn how to put teams away.

We have outplayed each and every team so far this year. The lack of being able to put teams away when we have them on the ropes have hurt us and we've lost 2 games because of it.

It seems like the playcalling is great between the 30's but when we get into scoring range it goes down the tube.

Also when we have a chance for a knockout punch it seems like our playcalling is getting way too conservative. That is causing us to kick too many FG's or making stupid calls like a fake FG shovel pass and other bad calls.

The 3rd and 1 play yesterday was terrible. Run the damn ball and get the first down. I can handle passing but the play they called wasn't even a high percentage play. There was no blocking either which helped ruin the play.

We need better playcalling when we're in scoring range and we need to be more agressive when we get a lead. It seems like this team is playing not to lose when we get a lead and have a chance to give them a knockout punch.

If we can improve in these areas this team could have some good success this year. If not then we're gonna lose a lot more games.

We did everything possible to let the Vikings win yesterday in the 4th quarter. Luckily for us Marcus Robinson blew the game for the Vikings.

We won the game but it wasn't a good sign how we let them back in the game. Same with the Patriots in Week 1. We couldn't deliver the knockout blow to the Patriots and we gave them the chance to win the game. A good team like the Patriots will win them games if you let them. Then with the Jets we had some bad coaching calls and was also too conservative once again when in scoring postion and couldn't take control of the game early when we had multiple chances.

Correct this and it may be a good season. If not then we will still lose a lot of games. More games then we should.

We have outplayed each team so far. We couldn't take care of our business when we had the chance. This team isn't good enough to not capitalize when we have the chance. When we don't then we let them back in the game.

Yesterday should've been a game where we beat the Vikings soundly. Instead it took a dropped pass to beat them. We should've blew away the Jets but we gave away too many points. With the Patriots we couldn't deliver the knockout punch.

I'm happy we won yesterday and I also didn't expect to be 2-2 and play like we have so far this season. I'm not happy about the above stuff because it's setting us back. Good teams don't let that happen. We may be close but we're not there yet.

Is this stuff the coaching staff will improve on or will they continue the trend and set us back? We will find out over the next couple months.

Ebenezer
10-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Four games into the regular season with a team playing that many young/new to the roster guys??? got to give them time to learn that. It won't come after a 1/4 of one season.

Historian
10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Also when we have a chance for a knockout punch it seems like our playcalling is getting way too conservative. .

I disagree.

I think it's the opposite. I think they still have a tendency to get cute with the playcalling. Like passing to Evans with 3 minutes left, when McGahee is tearing them up on the ground.

Even the bootleg on 4th was a risky call, because it hadn't worked all day. My guess is that someone was a designated spy on Losman because of how quick his feet are.

SABURZFAN
10-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Four games into the regular season with a team playing that many young/new to the roster guys??? got to give them time to learn that. It won't come after a 1/4 of one season.

BINGO!!!!

ICE74129
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Four games into the regular season with a team playing that many young/new to the roster guys??? got to give them time to learn that. It won't come after a 1/4 of one season. Eb isn't it amazing how fans ignore the REBUILDING Fact?

New Staff, New players, New System. And gee we are just 2-2....go figure. (yeah heavy sarcasm)

I would be willing to bet those that judge the 'Coach of the year' award are watching us closely. Most had us 0-4 at this point. We go 8-8 to 9-7 and see how often DJ's name gets mentioned for that award.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to micro analyze the play calling at this point...but it is frustrating. We needed another stinking first down in that PATS game and we would have won. We also could have beat the JETS. We could very easily be 4 - 0 right now. We need to develop that killer instinct. At minimum we need to not shoot ourselves in the foot the way Willis McGahee (put that one in there for you ice) shot us in the foot in the JESTS game. Just to claify, the other two turnovers by JP had no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever but the one caused by WM who missed a block was the sole contibutor to the loss. JP Losman had no responsibility whatsoever in that loss despite the fact that he's the QB.

Typ0
10-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to micro analyze the play calling at this point...but it is frustrating. We needed another stinking first down in that PATS game and we would have won. We also could have beat the JETS. We could very easily be 4 - 0 right now. We need to develop that killer instinct. At minimum we need to not shoot ourselves in the foot the way Willis McGahee (put that one in there for you ice) shot us in the foot in the JESTS game. Just to claify, the other two turnovers by JP had no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever but the one caused by WM who missed a block was the sole contibutor to the loss. JP Losman had no responsibility whatsoever in that loss despite the fact that he's the QB.