PDA

View Full Version : Our Deadly (and IMPROVING) Receiving Corps

Jimbuktu
10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I think it is fair to say that we have one of the best receiving corps (and perhaps most cost-efficient) in the league, and as the season progresses, this will come to the forefront.

With JP continuing to improve game-in and game-out, I really believe that we are going to see some special things happen with this group.

With the talent we have in McGahee (although he is not Faulk ... at this point), I truly believe that we can have that Rams-style offense from around the turn of the millenium. Of course, a lot of this hinges on the play of the offensive line, but I really like what I have seen thus far.

The talents of Evans, Price, Parrish and Reed are all different and solid, and then to put them all out there at a time and having Losman spread it out like he did Sunday can (and I believe WILL) create a nightmare for opposing D. Throw in Davis and we have one HECKUVA fast corps of receivers. Granted Reed may not be the fastest guy in the world, but we don't need him for that with the speed of the others.

Watching Price go for the TD and Evans try and get more yards really opened my eyes to the talent of the corps, and i am really ****ing excited to see what these guys will be able to do as the season marches on ...

I know we are all getting geared up for this Bears game Sunday, and I do think we have a chance to win it, but it will be with the more conservative/efficient style we saw in the first two games.

With that said, I think the following week in Detroit will be a real coming out party for this offense. We'll be the greatest show on turf that week against a sub-par team and defense. Should be fun.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Hang on hang on.

I'm still stuck at the "one of the best receving corps" part. :scratch:

Pride
10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
LOL agreed... this stable of speed has a long way to go before being considered "one of the best"

ddaryl
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I might get flamed for this... BUT. I am glad we traded Moulds,

and I was glad when we re-signed Peerless even when so many called a Senile Levy move. I'm even happier with the Peerless acquistion now that I've seen him play a few games. Peerless came to us, and he wants to be here, and it's showing in his play.

Parrish, although I really questioned why we picked him when we did, is proving to be the jack rabbit we hoped.

Reed has been the poster child for the "Don't Give Up on Him just yet" club.

and Evans is Mr. yards after the catch. Very exciting to watch him play.

All the Bills need is to have a TE step up and become a receiving force

Meathead
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
although not the best i would favorably compare our 1 to 4 and probably 5 wr spots with any team in the league. throw in aikens st abilities and its hard to imagine any top 6 wrs in the league being more valuable overall

evans - so far a serviceable #1 who should get much better at that as time goes on
reed - has become a fine #2 possession receiver
price - a speed #2.5 who has improved his possession and over-the-middle play a lot compared to his first stint here
parrish - already a good #3 and a terrific #4
davis - a great insurance policy for positions #2-4

don137
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I think we have the best receiving corps in the division man for man but I would say maybe 5-10 in the league...Off the top of my head Cincinnati, Indy, Carolina, Dallas, Seattle and Arizona are better.

EDS
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Hang on hang on.

I'm still stuck at the "one of the best receving corps" part. :scratch:

Agreed. I think Evans is the only one who can be labeled a sure fire starter/potential star at this point.

HHURRICANE
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM

I took all the crap back in January when Philster and Devin negged me half to death.

For some reason Moulds and Losman were like oil and water. I'm glad he's gone for no other reason than it didn't work. He didn't like JP as the QB and that was obvious in the Miami game last year.

This team needed a fresh start and we got one. Thank goodness. Plus we got a draft pick out of it. Not bad!!

Saratoga Slim
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I took all the crap back in January when Philster and Devin negged me half to death.

For some reason Moulds and Losman were like oil and water. I'm glad he's gone for no other reason than it didn't work. He didn't like JP as the QB and that was obvious in the Miami game last year.

This team needed a fresh start and we got one. Thank goodness. Plus we got a draft pick out of it. Not bad!!

....and that draft pick netted us Kyle Williams, if my memory serves me. I'll take the potential that KW appears to be offering over another year or so of an aging Moulds.

Spiderweb
10-03-2006, 01:50 PM

and I was glad when we re-signed Peerless even when so many called a Senile Levy move. I'm even happier with the Peerless acquistion now that I've seen him play a few games. Peerless came to us, and he wants to be here, and it's showing in his play.

Parrish, although I really questioned why we picked him when we did, is proving to be the jack rabbit we hoped.

Reed has been the poster child for the "Don't Give Up on Him just yet" club.

and Evans is Mr. yards after the catch. Very exciting to watch him play.

All the Bills need is to have a TE step up and become a receiving force

As long as the Bills continue to use a lot of max protect, we'll continue to see very few passes to our TE's....

mybills
10-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not glad that Moulds is gone, but I'm glad the group we have is working out good.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm not glad that Moulds is gone, but I'm glad the group we have is working out good.
I am, not for his production but for his attitude affecting the rest of the team. He was too much of a vet to buy into a new culture that the new FO wanted to install.

Typ0
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm glad Moulds is gone...nothing against him but he was making too much moula.

I agree we are at least clearly top 10 in the league in receiver core. If our line was good and we had a good TE we'd be one of the best offenses in the league...guess you can't have everything.

Typ0
10-03-2006, 02:37 PM
As long as the Bills continue to use a lot of max protect, we'll continue to see very few passes to our TE's....

we don't even need the big time receiving TE...what we need is the threat of the TE to catch the ball which means they need to not drop the darn pass when it's thrown in their direction.

mybills
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Let me rephrase that...I don't care what anyone's reason is for being glad that Moulds is gone. I'm not glad that he is. He was an awesome player when he was here. That is all.

BillsFever21
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
This is far from the best receiving corps in the league. :rofl:

Evans is the only guy in this rotation that could be a guranteed starter on any team in the league.(#1 or #2)

We're weak up front with great WR's but we're deep in the middle with a bunch of guys that could be #3 WR's on just about any team with some cracking the lineup as a #2 guy.

Evans is far from one of the best #1 guy in the league at his point and the rest of our guys are far from being one of the best #2 WR's in the league.

However we do have one of the deepest units overall with steady #2 guys that can rotate in between being a #2/#3 and/or #3/#4. None of them guys could be #1 WR's outside of Evans though.

They are great #3 guys and average #2 guys. With having 3 guys in Price, Reed and Parrish who would all make great #3 guys in the league and a decent #2 guy makes it very deep and makes up some for the lack of top heavy WR's.

The plus side is we have 3 guys who are all capable of being decent #2 WR's and are all capable of being one of the best #3 guys in the league. Throw in Davis who could step in as our current #5 guy and play the #3 WR it makes us very deep.

If we could get one more great WR to go along with Evans and have Price, Reed and Parrish to go along with them then you could start talking about one of the best in the league.

We have some of the best depth. Our #2, #3 and #4 combination is one of the best in the league. But overall with our #1-#3 is far from the best.

Typ0
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Evans is the only guy in this rotation that could be a guranteed starter on any team in the league.(#1 or #2)

We're weak up front with great WR's but we're deep in the middle with a bunch of guys that could be #3 WR's on just about any team with some cracking the lineup as a #2 guy.

Evans is far from one of the best #1 guy in the league at his point and the rest of our guys are far from being one of the best #2 WR's in the league.

However we do have one of the deepest units overall with steady #2 guys that can rotate in between being a #2/#3 and/or #3/#4. None of them guys could be #1 WR's outside of Evans though.

They are great #3 guys and average #2 guys. With having 3 guys in Price, Reed and Parrish who would all make great #3 guys in the league and a decent #2 guy makes it very deep and makes up some for the lack of top heavy WR's.

The plus side is we have 3 guys who are all capable of being decent #2 WR's and are all capable of being one of the best #3 guys in the league. Throw in Davis who could step in as our current #5 guy and play the #3 WR it makes us very deep.

I have just sat down to read the boards...and already this post has given me a headache.

Typ0
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM

I think I did the math correctly...and the answer is 42.

BillsFever21
10-03-2006, 03:04 PM

You're not the only one who felt the wrath of them.

Some people just can't handle seeing a longtime favorite player leave. All they see is the past potential but their love for the player blinds them from the current and future potential for the player.

There comes a time when all of them isn't a right fit for the team anymore. It was Moulds' time and I don't have any regrets. He was a cancer last season. He threw JP under the bus.

I bet people like that were the same type who was *****ing and upset about seeing guys Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Henry Jones, John Holicek and Sam Rogers released. All of them guys were good in their past but their paycheck wasn't worth the current and future production we would've gotten from them and they were no longer a good fit for our team because of it.

Look what happened with them guys after being released. Some of them had another decent season or two but most of them fell off the face of the earth after that. This will be Moulds.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I think I did the math correctly...and the answer is 42.
Coming from a guy who thinks if you take 18 beers from 28 you have 10 beers, wrong again. :snicker:

BillsFever21
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I have just sat down to read the boards...and already this post has given me a headache.

What part don't you agree with? You think them guys are better then that? You think they're not as good as stated? Maybe you're one of them guys who think they are all great WR and one of the best in the league. Maybe you think they suck.

It was a fair and fact based driven assesment of our WR corps.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't think Typ0 was ready for that level of brain activity today.

JD
10-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Parrish needs stilts.

GarnOFreak
10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
so if you think that our core of WRs is good as a group, you must have liked the Patriots trio over the last few years.....kind similar, interchangeable pieces approach. Yeah we don't have a stud who will get 150yds and 1 TD per game, but we have several guys who will play WR by commitee and do the same numbers. btw, I like our WRs, and as JP gets bigger number throughout the year theirs will follow.

p.s. I think the 42 thing was a Hitchiker's Guide Joke

X-Era
10-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it is fair to say that we have one of the best receiving corps (and perhaps most cost-efficient) in the league, and as the season progresses, this will come to the forefront.

With JP continuing to improve game-in and game-out, I really believe that we are going to see some special things happen with this group.

With the talent we have in McGahee (although he is not Faulk ... at this point), I truly believe that we can have that Rams-style offense from around the turn of the millenium. Of course, a lot of this hinges on the play of the offensive line, but I really like what I have seen thus far.

The talents of Evans, Price, Parrish and Reed are all different and solid, and then to put them all out there at a time and having Losman spread it out like he did Sunday can (and I believe WILL) create a nightmare for opposing D. Throw in Davis and we have one HECKUVA fast corps of receivers. Granted Reed may not be the fastest guy in the world, but we don't need him for that with the speed of the others.

Watching Price go for the TD and Evans try and get more yards really opened my eyes to the talent of the corps, and i am really ****ing excited to see what these guys will be able to do as the season marches on ...

I know we are all getting geared up for this Bears game Sunday, and I do think we have a chance to win it, but it will be with the more conservative/efficient style we saw in the first two games.

With that said, I think the following week in Detroit will be a real coming out party for this offense. We'll be the greatest show on turf that week against a sub-par team and defense. Should be fun.

I agree that the scheme can be flat out deadly if run correctly. It worked for the Rams. But, JP is still young and needs to continue to get better before we can go full throttle.

I disagree that our WR's are the best in the league. In fact, I would like to see us draft another very high draft pick WR a.l.a Detroit to take full advantage of the Rams style O. Lets not forget that the Rams had Kennison, Torry Holt, and Az Hakim on the same field. Evans, Price, Reed/Parrish is NOT as good as that combo.

Now, Evans, Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett, and Peerless. Yes thats a bigtime WR corp.

Id love to trade for Roy Williams some how but the Lions would be fools to let him go. Hed be a perfect fit on this team. I like the draft to fill this one out. Kelley Washington is a UFA this upcoming year. Hes another guy that impresses me and has alot of upside.

TacklingDummy
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
This deadly Receiving core has 3 TDs combined.

If you rank the Bills by teams that have played 4 games, they are ranked 22 out of 24 in Rec. and Touchdowns.

Typ0
10-03-2006, 07:31 PM
What part don't you agree with? You think them guys are better then that? You think they're not as good as stated? Maybe you're one of them guys who think they are all great WR and one of the best in the league. Maybe you think they suck.

It was a fair and fact based driven assesment of our WR corps.

lol...didn't say anything about not agreeing...it was just the organization and progression of the whole thing:

we have a #1 that would barely be a #2 and a three #3 that maybe could break #2 and a #4 that's clearly a 3 da do whap da do whap...