X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

What the Football starting to notice about JP

the long ball shell. I had the TIVO Vikings game on while had a gathering with a few of my buddies, including one working with an agent (actually on an off day pampering targeted college athletes). I remember what he said to me in the summer that the book of beating Losman is simple: covering the long ball targets and you own Losman.

To some extent Losman is still doing this: the safety in NE he was looking for a kill deep; on the fumble-returned-for-TD play in the Jets game he said himself he got two guys open deep; in Miami, his long ball caused a penalty that resulted the long Bills TD.

But on this 4th game of the season, even my buddies admitted that something might start to click in Losman's head: you don't need a 50-yard bomb to make something happen. The way he distributed ball to different players, and the place where he put the ball to receivers so that they could run after catching the ball are just effective.

I don't believe that this is a sudden change, a bulb turned on so-to-speak. I see a steady improvement on this department from the first game on and success can only help his development.

If he continues on this path, the more defenses he sees, the shorter his recognition time will be. There are only so many defensive formations, blitz packages out there. Some teams disguise better than the others. For a young capable QB, once he plays a year or two, he should pretty much see them all. Some QB are smarter, only need to see it once; others may need to go around a couple of times before getting it. The way Jauron describes JP's work ethics, the way he improved 4 games so far, it appears he is a capable one and may not need to go through this recognition process too many times.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: What the Football starting to notice about JP

Actually, up to this point in the season, his perceived 'strength' (the long ball) has been his weakness. He hasn't hit one yet, that I can remember. But that will come, also. One of these games, soon, everything's going to come together and the offense is going to produce some big plays through the air.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
    X