Should we get A-Train more involved this week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Should we get A-Train more involved this week?

One of the things I brought up on the show this week is that Anthony Thomas' carries have gone (in the four games this season) like this: 3, 5, 1, 0. It looked like after two weeks he was going to be a guy they would give a few spot carries in order to relieve Willis a little bit. But that's changed the past two weeks. He had one touch against the Jets and none against Minnesota.

Believe me, I'm not complaining.....Willis has done a great job and he needs to touch the ball as much as possible - and what I think is this shows the total commitment Fairchild has made to make Willis the focal point of the offense and to stay with that commitment and game plan each week.

But I am beginning to wonder if there's a reason specific to A-Train that he hasn't been utilized for two weeks in a row now?!

And do you think the offensive coaching staff will try to get him more involved in the gameplan this week considering he is returning to Chicago and may have something to prove?
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Should we get A-Train more involved this week?

I think Willis is doing just fine. Only if he needs a breather.

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

The A-Train will likely not be effective against Chicago. With a speedy defense like the one they have, the best thing to do is use misdirection and have them go one way while we switch and go another. Willis is best at changing direction and so is Shaud. At best, Shaud should be activated. Also, if I'm Jauron, I'm practicing alot of screens this week. We never seem to execute them well and we will need them against a high powered, speedy and fierce defense that we are going to face!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I think we need to pound the hell out of the ball on Chicago. Speed defenses run sprints on every down, so to beat them is to pound the ball all day, let them sprint every time and wear them out. Then the pass will open up.

We need to bring in 2 TEs every play as blockers, pound them with everything we've got, including Willis, A-Train, and Shaud, and hell why not Shelton even. The pass will open up by the second half.

On the flip side, they'll do the same thing to us with Jones and Benson.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

What's interesting in this game is the test of coaches. Last week, Jauron beat out Childress in his game plan. Both teams have similar defenses though Minnesota was supposed to have a better offense and a better front 4 on the defense. Their weakness was more the linebackers and secondary.

This week, we face (once again) a similar team except that they have less weaknesses. Lovie vs Jauron - who will implement the game plan to stifle the other. Lovie has faster/stronger personnel - but then so did Minnesota in their front 4 DL and we still beat them.

It'll be interesting to see which coach implements a strategy good enough to beat the other...

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

How well does A-Train block? I realize that McGahee whiffed on a crucial blitz pick-up against the Jets, but he was blocked extremely well against Minnesota. If he's a better blocker than A-Train, that will also limit the number of plays A-Train will see as well.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

I think A-train will really want to play against Chicago. He had a pretty frustrating tenure over there.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                How well does A-Train block? I realize that McGahee whiffed on a crucial blitz pick-up against the Jets, but he was blocked extremely well against Minnesota. If he's a better blocker than A-Train, that will also limit the number of plays A-Train will see as well.
                A-Train is probably the more "consistent" blocker - but clearly, when Willis wants to, he can block!!! The block he did on...was it Pat or Kevin? in the Minnesota game was OUTSTANDING!! I don't think I've ever seen a RB take out a DT like that!!!

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍