PDA

View Full Version : TMQ gives Jason Peters some love

Coach Sal
10-05-2006, 09:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061003

Best Block: The best single block of the day came from Buffalo's Jason Peters, a third-year undrafted gent from Arkansas, who is becoming one of the league's elite offensive linemen. A common fault of offensive linemen is making the first or primary block, then standing around watching the play rather than finding someone else to block. On what would become Peerless Price's 8-yard touchdown reception off a bubble screen, Price was all the way back at the 15 and seemingly doomed to take a big loss when Peters, rather than standing around watching, drilled a Minnesota defender with a perfect secondary block.

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Easterbrook knows his stuff. I love his articles. Very unbiased - unlike the mainstream media writers like Peter Queen or Adam Schein.

casdhf
10-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! No. 2: In the first 56 minutes of the Buffalo-Minnesota game, the Bills' defense held the Vikings to two field goals, eight first downs and 226 yards of offense. In the final four minutes, the Bills allowed a touchdown, six first downs and 104 yards of offense, Buffalo barely winning when a Minnesota player dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in the closing seconds. What changed between the first 56 minutes and the last four minutes? The Bills began blitzing like crazy.

mybills
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
if only Peters can stop making penalties. :ill:

Coach Sal
10-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! No. 2: In the first 56 minutes of the Buffalo-Minnesota game, the Bills' defense held the Vikings to two field goals, eight first downs and 226 yards of offense. In the final four minutes, the Bills allowed a touchdown, six first downs and 104 yards of offense, Buffalo barely winning when a Minnesota player dropped what would have been a touchdown pass in the closing seconds. What changed between the first 56 minutes and the last four minutes? The Bills began blitzing like crazy.

See.....after something positive on the Bills, something negative......what the football Gods giveth, they also taketh away!

However, I take issue with this assertion. I went back and re-watched the game for my show and the Bills blitzed a lot, in the first quarter especially. Sometimes it was a safety, sometimes a corner, sometimes a LB. But usually when the LB blitzed it was a "run blitz," not going after the QB.

I just think the Vikings did a better job of spreading the field and hitting their hot reads and/or rhythmic-passes later in the game when they were down and needed it. It wasn't a matter of us blitzing more often. It just became more noticeable because of this.