PDA

View Full Version : Trade Biron?

Jp7
10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
We've seen what he can do, should we deal him and ad another piece to the puzzle to try to get this team over the "hump"?

kgun12
10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
We've seen what he can do, should we deal him and ad another piece to the puzzle to try to get this team over the "hump"?

I would love to see him go be the number 1 somewhere he's earned it. However when you look at the fact that he was not dealt over the off season seem to tell me he is worth more to us then other teams. I also think that we need to spend the money we save on Biron ($2.5?) money on a long term contract for Briere. I would hate to wait til the end of the season and try to sign him long term!

SABURZFAN
10-08-2006, 12:43 AM
we have miller locked in so trade him.

kgun12
10-08-2006, 12:51 AM
we have miller locked in so trade him.

I know we do, but what happen if and who backs up Ryan? Like I said I would love to see him go be a #1 and if they do trade him, I hope it's to the Western conference. He is a very classey guy and does desreve the chance!

ddaryl
10-08-2006, 01:38 AM
If the Sabres are smart they will play Biron semi-regulalry this year and hopefully he'll attract attention to himself via great play.

Then we will be able to get something worthwhile for him via trade.

but if nobody wants to pony up a player that significanlty helps the Sabres we need to keep him.

CuseJetsFan83
10-08-2006, 01:54 AM
honestly i like biron, he does deserve to be a #1, just hopefully we can get another year out of him, and trade him in the offseason.

my only fear is we end up trading biron, and then either miller gets hurt, or hits a huge funk....... both suck and hopefully wont ever happen.

if you can trade him for a goalie, who would you like brought in?

Typ0
10-08-2006, 05:22 AM
I don't see him being traded this year at all. Who do we need? Who can we bring in worth trading Biron for who will fit in our cap? No one. Biron will stay and play 20-30 games if Miller stays healthy. Biron is a great insurance policy and goaltending is required in the playoffs. You don't want your season to tank because of one injury.

The_Philster
10-08-2006, 05:56 AM
It'd be nice for Marty's sake...but we'd have to get a really solid goaltender to replace him in case something happens to Ryan

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2006, 07:06 AM
I believe we should. I would love to keep Marty here for this whole year, but you don't keep backups because of the chance of injury. This team will be good for years to come with or without him. Besides, I believe he is an UFA at the end of this year, if we don't trade him, we lose him and get nothing for him.

Dozerdog
10-08-2006, 07:49 AM
If Miller's injury last season happened and Marty was elsewhere, our miracle season would have never happened.

Trade Biron, you need a top quality backup in return- someone like Aebischer, Auld, Hedberg, Dunham....

RedEyE
10-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I agree, Dozer. At the very least hang onto him this season. If things take a turn for the worse and the Sabres are struggling to make the playoffs, then think about dealing him. Otherwise wait until the offseason next year.

Things can happen. Miller might go down with a season ending injury and if we've dealt Biron, we're ****ed. The Sabres can afford to hang onto him.

Dozerdog
10-08-2006, 08:34 AM
I'd only even consider it if the Sabres defense disintergrates due to injury like last year's playoffs. We would need a valuable asset to trade for blue line help.

THATHURMANATOR
10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Only if we get a solid backup in return. We have nothing in Rochester.

THATHURMANATOR
10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree, Dozer. At the very least hang onto him this season. If things take a turn for the worse and the Sabres are struggling to make the playoffs, then think about dealing him. Otherwise wait until the offseason next year.

Things can happen. Miller might go down with a season ending injury and if we've dealt Biron, we're ****ed. The Sabres can afford to hang onto him.
Biron is an unrestricted FA after this season. If we don't trade him this year we lose him for nothing.

pyrrhonist
10-08-2006, 03:38 PM
If the Sabres are smart they will play Biron semi-regulalry this year and hopefully he'll attract attention to himself via great play.

Absolutely. As it stood in the offseason, as much as I felt that salary needed to get off of the books, no one was going to give proper value for Marty. Teams knew Darcy would need to dump the salary after Ryan was re-signed. As the season goes on, let teams see Biron can still get the job done, and reap the rewards from a contender near the 2/07 deadline. :up:

JD
10-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Over what hump? This team is the real mutha ****in deal already!

Dozerdog
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Biron is an unrestricted FA after this season. If we don't trade him this year we lose him for nothing.

Two words for you- Ray Emery

I would rather lose him in FA than pull an Ottawa - Finish with 55 wins, 115-120 points, then lose in the 1st or 2nd round because an AHL goalie can't stop a beach ball.

If Miller gets hurt, we are ****ed.

Dozerdog
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
They had a better chance dealing Biron last year and keeping Nooronen.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Roby made a great point last night on the post-game, when he said that Biron isn't a goalie that does well with 60-70 games but it perfect in the 30-40 game slot.

SkateZilla
10-08-2006, 05:08 PM
NO!, Biron Gives Us a 2nd Option at Goal..

THATHURMANATOR
10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Two words for you- Ray Emery

I would rather lose him in FA than pull an Ottawa - Finish with 55 wins, 115-120 points, then lose in the 1st or 2nd round because an AHL goalie can't stop a beach ball.

If Miller gets hurt, we are ****ed.
Agreed. I was just saying that if we don't get a solid goalie in return I would just keep him!

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I guess we had better win it all this year because we won't have our crutch next year when Miller definitely goes down with torn ligaments.

Ottawa lost last year because they hitched their wagon to a goalie that is old and had a tendancy to hurt his groin.

I think it is stupid to keep a guy "just in case" our top goalie gets hurt.

Billscusey
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Miller and Biron make an awesome 1-2 punch, and I would love to have him stay. Unfortunately, I don't think Marty is too happy about that. It's a shame really, because Biron is probably the most popular back-up goalie among the fans in the entire league!

Dozerdog
10-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, I guess we had better win it all this year because we won't have our crutch next year when Miller definitely goes down with torn ligaments.

Ottawa lost last year because they hitched their wagon to a goalie that is old and had a tendancy to hurt his groin.

I think it is stupid to keep a guy "just in case" our top goalie gets hurt.Yeah- Just ask Atlanta and that star-studded line up that missed the playoffs by a few points.
They got off to a horrid start because they didn't plan for goalie injuries.

Ask Vancouver how their season **** the bed after Cloutier was lost for the season.

I'd rather havre a well rested Miller (55-60 games under his belt) and a very experienced Biron.

Or, we can gamble and work without a safety net all for a draft pick we won't see for 5 years.

don137
10-09-2006, 12:46 PM

I think it is stupid to keep a guy "just in case" our top goalie gets hurt.

If a player other than a goalie was hurt the Sabres are deep enough to overcome it. If they trade Biron and Miller gets hurt it could cost home games in the playoffs as well as could cost them the season. To invest that much money in the team I think they would be taking a huge risk if they did not have a great back-up. What could we get that would help the Sabres that much that would be worth the risk?

GThirst
10-09-2006, 01:16 PM
You see, the Sabres are constantly on the cutting edge of the NHL.

Miller is the future of goaltending, and Biron is a very solid back up. Countless teams lose entire seasons over goalie injuries. That won't happen to us. It would be dumb to trade him. And I'd say let Marty take 1/3 of the games. He deserves it, AND Miller will be well rested. Why would Miller be pissed? If he is a team player, he won't be. He'll also be healthier and much more rested up.

What is the negative to this decision? We already have a solid team around the goalies, so we arn't dieing for a trade. Our cap is well in order in respect to our team.

HOWEVER, I think if we could have dealt Marty out for a lower paid but still solid Goalie and managed to keep Dumont, things might be different. Though I'm VERY pleased with the direction of this team. We are looking 10 times better than the Sabres who went to the Cup several years ago. And now we have a real shot and we don't rely on a Vezina winning goalie.

Typ0
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't think either of those guys are pissed about the situation. I think they are happy to be well off at the position and both feel some security in the insurance of having each other on the squad. This way, neither guy has the whole season resting on their shoulders and worry so much about letting the team down if they are hurt or have a bad streak.