• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

Is Spikes REALLY what we want?

Just thinking out loud here...

Here are some stats for some other top name LBs out there.

Spikes 113 tackles, 2 sacks,O INTs

Mike peterson- 136 tackles, 2 INts, 0 sacks,9 passes defended (PDs)

Mike Maslowski- 126 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 sack, 12 PDs

Chris Claiborne- 101 tackles, 3 INTs, 7 PDs, 5 sacks

Shawn Barber- 91 Tackles, 2 INTs, 1 sack, 10 PDs

Colvin-64 tackles, 11 sacks, 9 PDs, 0 INTs (obviously rushed the passer a lot more than the others)

SImmons only played in 6 games and had almost 50 tackles

There's no doubt spikes is a great player, but IMO he will be the most expensive of the group. If he demands a contract like brooking got with a 10 mil bonus and 6 mil a year (or anywhere remotely sloe to that), we may be better off gettin a maslowski and a barber for close to the same price. Or even if we only got one, it would be a lot cheaper. I don't think the quality drop off would be much. These other guys can play well too. We'l have more money to spendin other areas.

I love spikes, and I know stats dont tell the whole story. I know spikes played on a crappy defense too. Still, Ithink its worth it to consider cheaper alternatives for the good of the defense as a whole.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by SoCalBillsFan; 02-25-2003, 07:00 PM.
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

maybe get a combo of colvin (adds a lot to the pass rush) and peterson or maslowski, this would do wonder for the defense IMO. We'd still have money hopefully for a DT.

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

The format of this post, begin with a question, present stats, then a some paragraphs look simliar to the way Wys posts, just much shorter.

But seriously, the great thing about this year is that there are so many good LBs available that its almost a gaurantee we get one of those quality LBs. That makes me happy.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i had mentioned this before.. i am really not pulling for spikes anymore at this point due to what brookings signed for.. i also think that there are tons of good LBs out there this year.. all the guys you listed will be big improvements..

i would take maslowski(he will be the cheapest of that group, and was one of the most productive) and either simmons or claiborne in a heart beat over spikes.

the only reason i would want spikes is to make sure he didnt go to anyone else in our division

dont forget about cowart too.. and hardy.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

The other backers played with better d-lines in front of them. You have to account for how much more often O-linemen were able to get to Spikes because the D-line never demanded double teams. Spikes is not a pass rusher but he's a great linebacker.

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

I'd still take any one of these guys! I'm not hell bent on Spikes or anything like that. He's just the best of the bunch.

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

With the amount of LBs on the market Pasquarelli said that
              Colvin, Peterson, Barber, Simmons and Shelton Quarles and Alshermond Singleton, both of Tampa Bay, along with Detroit's Chris Claiborne might all sign contracts worth $3 million or more annually. Even a few of those players might not, however, meet their financial expectations.
              Even though this is not a great year for free agency, there are several quality linebackers on the market.

add Maslowski to that list and I would take any 2 of those guys for $3 million. If CP was correct and it would take $7 million to pry Spikes from Cincy I don't see how this is even an argument. Lets get 2 very good LBs for the same price it would cost to get Spikes.
              Originally posted by paladin warrior
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                • Jul 2002

Overpaying for a linebacker is just plain Dumb, I don’t know how long I’ve been beating that drum.
                Resign our own guys!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

I like Colvin if he's healthy. He has the ability to chase down scrambling qb's. Fiedler, Chad(ask Robinson) and Brady are not great scramblers but have the ability to get those few needed yards.
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 02-26-2003, 11:57 AM.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gunzlingr
                    • Jul 2002

I like 'em all, I want the Bills to win
                    As long as they are good and cheap, bring 'em on in!
                    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                      Expert on Experts
                      • Jul 2002

Spikes may be the best, but I would love 2 of the rest.

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

I agree with that, SoCal. If they happen to get Colvin, who's obviously the pass rusher of the bunch, they definately have to ge a guy who can roam like Peterson or Maslowski. I still say that if used properly Newman is a good pass rusher but I think he's good as gone. It would've been nice though becuase he'd still be cheap.

Comment

• Brian H
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Nov 2002

I hope we get Maslowski
                          I just hope he dont drink like Sabastian Janikowski
                          ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• MissBuffalo
                            Quiddity
                            • Jul 2002

Any one of those would be a good pick.
                            As long as we don't stick with last seasons D cause that made me sick.
                            See me here pushing you
                            If I then deny I do
                            Contemplate or wish away
                            If I ask you not to stay

Comment

• TedMock
                              • Jul 2002

we just didn't have the players for that defense. it's a great D if you have the right guys but it's tough to get the right guys. We're not the 1999 Titans, the 1985 Bears or the Eagles of the mid/late 80's. They had much better overall personell but ya never know what free agency has in store. We're not THAT far off.

Comment

Working...
                              X