PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine Scuttlebutt- wrap up

MelK
02-25-2003, 08:32 PM
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/building/arts/1868.0.html

INDIANAPOLIS—

I leave here with the feeling that (at least) five quarterbacks will be taken in the first 37 picks of the draft. I didn’t come here with that feeling, believe me. But after hearing at least seven coaches and general managers say things like “five or six QB’s will go in the first round” and “I see seven or eight guys who are ready to take snaps right away,” I’ve changed my mind. I think those guys know more than some chump Internet writer might know.

There are a lot of good defensive linemen in this draft. I mean quick, strong, fast and explosive guys that come from everywhere, from Kentucky to Washington State, from The Citadel to California. No wonder the speed of the game in the NFL is ridiculously fast—even the 310 pounders can move...........

.........If I’m in the market for a tight end, one name to remember is Johnson. Robert Johnson of Auburn passes the eyeball test with his 6-foot-6, 280-pound frame. Scouts have good things to say about his upside and his value in the redzone. Teyo Johnson of Stanford, a 6-foot-5, 247-pound wide receiver in a tight end’s body, has value in every zone. Also considered an NBA prospect before he gave up hoops to concentrate on football, he’s drawing comparisons to Tony Gonzalez. ......

......Speaking again of hometown bias, here comes some love for Ohio State S Mike Doss. I can’t claim that this theory is totally my own (my friend will remain unnamed to keep his ego from blowing up), but it’s been reaffirmed this week: Doss won’t be drafted as high as he should be. There are concerns that his pass coverage skills aren’t great and, at just a shade over 5-foot-10, he’s not tall enough to be a top-flight NFL safety. Those concerns are legit. But so is Doss’ reputation as a winner, as a hitter, as a guy who has a nose for the football and makes plays when they count the most. His draft grade will place him below a lot of guys, but his grade for guts, character, instinct and work ethic is darn close to a 10. .......

MelK
02-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Great Blue North

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

February 25
(5:30 PM): Report: Skins offer young CB for #2 pick...According to Jay Glazer of CBS Sportsline, Washington has offered CB Fred Smoot to Detroit in exchange for the second pick overall at the 2003 draft. The Lions, however, said no thanks. With just over two months to go, the Redskins, of course, have plenty of time to up the ante, although its not clear exactly whom they would be targetting at the #2 pick. There were earlier reports that despite using their #1 in 2002 on QB Patrick Ramsey, who had a decent rookie season and is the nominal Redskins' starter heading into training camp, Washington had their eye on USC QB Carson Palmer.

MelK
02-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Packers offered receiver Glenn in trade
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1513277.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The discussions are still at the tepid stage, and there really hasn't been much interest anyway, but Green Bay Packers officials here for the annual combine workouts have told other clubs that wide receiver Terry Glenn is available in a trade.

The willingness to deal Glenn, who had 56 catches for 817 yards and two touchdowns in his first season with the Packers in 2002, further indicates that Green Bay officials are confident their younger wide receivers can handle the job.

Donald Driver emerged as the team's No. 1 wideout last season, and coach Mike Sherman likes the progress of youngsters Robert Ferguson and Javon Walker. In addition, the Packers would like to avoid paying Glenn a $500,000 roster bonus due later this week but might not be able to get around that.