PDA

View Full Version : Bills lose to Chicago.. MY thoughts

patmoran2006
10-08-2006, 07:25 PM
The first thing I want to do is give props to the ONE person (and I do mean literally) on this ENTIRE roster who came to play with his "A" game today-- Lee Evans. He's clearly emerging as a legit number one receiver and I love the way he's playing. His TD at the end of the game, albeit a conclusion to a complete and utter embarassment of a football game, was just-reward for how hard he worked.

As for the rest of the team, despite what Mr. Losman says, maybe they need to stop reading the newspapers and message boards and realize how far they have to go to be on the same level as an elite team, as Chicago taught them today. This game made last year's fiasco in San Diego look like a nail-biter in comparison.

* I'm not saying JP Losman hasnt been a good QB to this point. I'm not saying JP Losman should be benched. I'm not saying JP Losman won't learn from this beating and become a better quarterback. What I AM saying is that for TODAY ONLY, Losman looked STUPID, clueless, amateurish and every other negative word in the dictionary. I dont JUST blame him for the loss, EVERYBODY sucked.. but if the QB is gonna get the brunt of the credit when you win he DESERVES to get blasted when they lose and he plays THAT bad. He did nothing to help this team win today, and two of his three interceptions were among the worst I've ever seen. Through probable at least PARTIAL fault of his own, he was LOCKED on nobody but Lee Evans all day. To go 57 and a half minutes and NOT complete a single pass to a WR other than Evans is crazy. Im certainly not going to base a season on one game, ESPECIALLY going against a sick looking CHicago team, but for this day anyway, JP Losman was total GARBAGE.

* The defensive line was pathetic. I'll have to go back and watch the TIVO, but I cant count more than 2 times in 60 minutes somenoe made a play in the backfield or the line of scrimmage. For a lack of a better term, they were straight-up PUNKED OFF today... I"m afraid this will be a trend.. Priority number one this off-season must be acquiring an IMPACT defensive end... This front four is just not good enough. THe rookies will become pretty good contributors (McCargo and Williams) and Tripplett is just fine. But Schobel is decent at best and Kelsay/Denney are simply not consistently good enough.. Wow they were HORRIBLE today.

* Forget the high amount of tackles they had today.. The Simpson/Whitner tandem had their worst game. That isnt to single them out though, because EVERYBODY had their worst game.

* Especially Clements and McGee.. They were BRUTALLLLLLLL.. The talk on here surely will concentrate on Clements.. GOOD, cause at 7.2 million I hate him.. but McGee was BRUTAL today too, he got burned three times.

* Peerless Price: I hope he doesnt have another game like this.. Inconsistency like this is what got his ass shipped out of ATlanta and Dallas.

* Good teams take advantage of situations, and today the Bills blew PLENTY of chances to make big plays. I counted at least 2-3 potential interceptions dropped, Moorman muffed (not a good snap either) a designed fake that was an easy first down play among other things.

* I dont understand from a coaching aspect why we didnt even attempt to run the ball more. Apparently, Dick Jauron was FULL OF **** when he was quoted as saying "Its ok to punt.".. Once Chicago took the lead 13-0 the run was basically abandoned and too much was put on Losman shoulders.. Favre, Aikman, Marino and Montana would have a hard time coming back on this Chicago defense; and Jauron (And Fairchild) threw Losman under the bus today.. Fewell needed to find ways to get to Grossman more and didnt do it (though an adequate front four would be a good start).

* Surprisingly, considering the circumstances I thought the OL did a decent job, especially pass blocking.. THe only thing I didnt like was Gandy, who got abused by a rookie (Anderson) multiple times. I thought Fowler and Reyes did a real good job and Preston was respectable.

SUMMARY: THis game didnt surprise me, though I certainly didnt expect Chicago to put up a 40-0 lead... I been looking forward to seeing how Losman would respond after a horrid performance, and now I will get to see just that next week.

We can have every excuse in the world this week.. FINE.. But next week, we're going to Detroit and playing a team that's 0-5.. A team with a chump (Kitna) at QB.. A team thats a mess from top to bottom. A team that had a ton of key injuries today (including Roy Williams and ROgers).

There is NO EXCUSE to NOT win in Detroit next week. Win and at 3-3 including 4 Road Games and I think the Bills are in decent shape and have a great shot to at least be competitive the rest of the year.

Lose to this Lions team, and I think its going to deflate the rest of the season.... The bottom line, is if this is truly a team improving and on the rise, they will take care of business and beat the team most likely to land BRady Quinn next year.

shelby
10-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Well said.
:gobills:

TacklingDummy
10-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Bring on the Lions. If Rex Grossman can throw 4 TD passes against Detroit, Favre 3 and Bulger 3 TDs passes, Losman should be able to get 2.

Losman couldn't ask for a better team to try and get his confidence back against.

I just wish Det. would of won today. Not many teams start out 0-6.

patmoran2006
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I also forgot..

London Fletcher played well today.. Look at the stats and see how many tackles he had in the 4th quarter.. He never stopped playing.

Devin
10-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I also forgot..

London Fletcher played well today.. Look at the stats and see how many tackles he had in the 4th quarter.. He never stopped playing.

Solid write up. Fletcher never stops playing, I pray we can resign him.

The Detriot game should be a good game to get us back to .500, if we are able to somehow miraculously beat NE (trust me im not the least bit confident we will but for arguments sake...) going into the bye at 4-3 and then hosting the ailing Packers at home maybe great medicine.

Either way as ive said before if we finish this season at 7-9 or 8-8 its been a good year.

patmoran2006
10-08-2006, 09:06 PM
He may be getting old, but Fletcher doesnt play old.. Id love to ink him for 2-3 more years so its one less spot to have to shore up next year.

you see the difference in someone like Fletcher and then someone like Clements, who played the second half like he didnt give two ****s.

X-Era
10-08-2006, 09:09 PM
He may be getting old, but Fletcher doesnt play old.. Id love to ink him for 2-3 more years so its one less spot to have to shore up next year.

you see the difference in someone like Fletcher and then someone like Clements, who played the second half like he didnt give two ****s.

No worries, if we play our cards right we can land his clone.

His name is Buster Davis, he plays for Fla St and he is the CLONE of Fletcher!

He just might be there in the 2nd round but his stock is climbing

patmoran2006
10-08-2006, 09:43 PM
You can only have so many rookies and 2nd year players.. You need veterans who know how to play the game and have been there before.

There is NO WAY at this point this team shouldnt make resigning FLetcher one of their top two priorities after this season ends.

YardRat
10-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Nice post, pat. On the money, IMO.

shelby
10-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Fletcher is and always has been underrated.

Jan Reimers
10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Good analysis, pat. I was thinking many of the same things.

I would add that McGahee had another of his days when he had neither the drive to get the tough yards up the middle, nor the quickness to get outside.

To me, his lackluster 50 yards were almost as damaging as the horrible play of JP, the stone hands of Price, the nonexistent D line, and the toasted, swiss cheese, can't tackle CBs.

I know I'm a little pissed, but if some team will pay Clements the minimum wage next season, I will personally see him off at the airport. In the meantime, I would play Youboty. We gave up 40 points with Nate in the lineup. We can certainly give up 40 with him on the bench.

Historian
10-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Good analysis Pat.

Although I would not pencil in the Lions as a win just yet. Clearly we're a better team, but anything can happen on the road.

The best thing the Bills can do, is shake this one off, and begin to focus on Detroit.

A place where we've only won one game in our history. A 20-17 sleeper in 1979. I hate playing this division. The only saving grace is that they moved the Bucs out of it.

ddaryl
10-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I still think peopel are too harsh on Losman. He didn't have many options out there today, and when we fell behind he forced some things, the bears are a really good team, probably the best JP has faced in the NFL.

I'm more interested in seeing how JP rebounds from a game like this, JP didn't have much offensive support today, and that definitely made it easier for the Bears to make JP look bad.

had to expect a game like this from him.